User Reviews - Surface Pro 3

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Mister2D,

I see where you're coming from regarding the VaporMg's look, but if you check the used market with all the SP1s and SP2s floating around, the finish has not held up exceptionally well.

The corners of the devices seem to fade for some reason, even if there wasn't any significant contact involved in that area over those products' short lives thus far. Another affected area is the charging port, which unfortunately copes with a lot of hit-and-misses of the power connector. Given that the SP3 replaced the power connector with a new type that's much easier to use, the finish in that region shouldn't get ruined as easily. However, only time will tell if the changes they have made to the finish overall have yielded a more robust scratch-resistant design.

As for the hinge, I'd much prefer the continuous adjustment functionality as opposed to the older Pros that were limited by 1-2 hinge positions yet provided that satisfying "car door" sound. It's plausible that MS found the older closing feel unfeasible to implement with the new hinge type. It need not be said, but long as the SP3 hinge proves to last without issues, it's the winner by a mile.

TL;DR: Function over form! xD

Regarding the original finish holding up, mine held up very well. Just sold it on eBay. Guess it depends on the user.

On the hinge, I don't think the continuous adjustment has anything to do with it. The kickstand still has the original opening angle, so it would still be possible to get the soft close it originally had, since at that angle you're not even extended to the new opening angle.

It was just an observation of mine. I'm sure Microsoft could refine this again. I would rather give Microsoft feedback on how to improve rather than just be ok with it. Remember, this is touted as a premium product. We should always be pushing the envelope. They listened to Gabe regarding stylus feedback, so I know they are listening to customers.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm reviewing the i5, 256GB SSD, with 8GB RAM model and I picked up the blue Type Cover 3 with it. I've used the Surface Pro (1st gen) since its launch.

I was back and forth on getting the SP3 since I had the orginal SP. The orginal SP repalced my desktop at work and my laptop for field work. I did have to carry my charger everywhere due to the short battery life on the model - but I couldn't justify spending the cash just for better battery life. I ended up picking up the SP3 due to the increased battery life, large screen size, higher resolution, and new kick stand. It was also my birthday gift from my wife.

First, let me explain what I use(d) the Surfaces for. I'm a Systems Engineer/Tech for a small integration company where I am responsible for the design and implementation of IP based survelance systems and access control systems. I use the Surface to:

-Take notes and pictures when performing intial walkthroughs/surveys of client sites.
-Mark up prints denoting hardware installation locations for installers
-Meetings to have all my project materials at my fingertips.
-We use it to focus IP based high resolution cameras as it is able to display the same resolution the camera can. Standard laptops cannot do this due to their lower resolution. Thus, the SP3 allows me and my installers to ensure a far sharper image.
-Games when camping or traveling

I was impressed by fact that the SP3 is lighter, thinner, and has a larger screen when compared to the SP. In my usaged scenario the battery life is easily twice or three times as long.

Pen- I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the pens; other than I prefer the SP3 pen over the orginal's. Usage wise they're about the same - they get the job done. I'm not a fan of the top button on the SP3 pen opening OneNote, I'd much rather it function as the earaser as it did in the SP's pen.

Kickstand - Amazing. I don't know if you can appreciate the new kickstand unless you use it. It increases the use abililty of the SP3 a ton. I find it much easier to mark up documents with the kickstand extended all the way back on the SP3 than having to lay the SP flat on its back. The adjustability makes it better when using it on your lap and in other not desk type situations too.

SD card slot - Not a big deal, but a small thing that did get improved. The new location for the SD card makes it easier to insert and remove at will and hides it nicely.

Windows Button - I'm not a fan of the move they did with the Windows button/icon. I find myself hitting it alot when holding the Surface and taking notes.

Type Cover 3 - I like the new back lighting on the keys and the new track pad is far superior to the orginal unit. It is also much more comfortable to type on than the orginal......the orgnial was mostly used as a cover and very quick email if needed; otherwise I used the on screen keyboard.

SP3 itself - I'm glad I opted for the 256GB model over the 128GB. The increased storage and RAM have come in handy. With the SP I kept everything in OneDrive which meant I needed to have an internet connection to access files when I needed them. The extra storage has allowed me to move almost all of my work files locally so that I don't need an internet connection to access them. I have ran into an issue where a few apps aren't as snappy as I'd like, but I'm going to place that blame on the app developers because the system has plenty of resources (used TM to check).

Overall I love the SP3 and I felt it was worth the upgrade from the 1st gen SP. I'll be selling that one off to help pay for the SP3.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The other con I noticed is the color of the backing. Remember VaporMg and it's color? The Surface Pro 3's back looks and feels a little like paint primer. As if Microsoft skimped on its production vs what they did with the first gen.

I prefer the matte finish on the Surface Pro 3, in comparison to the Surface Pro 1 & 2. I owned the SP1, then later got the SP2. I still own the SP2, and find myself wiping the back of it often because of the fingerprints. There are fingerprints on my Surface Pro 3, but they are very hard to see. I have to hold it at the right angle, and the right lighting in order to see them.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
For those that complain about the Windows button when writing in portrait mode, why not just hold it upside down so the button is at the top?

Lenner Smith

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
well, it is not a review. I have use my SP3 for over two weeks, and I like it. Now have replace my macbook air. Also I have not touch my ipad for days.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I actually returned my first SP3 because I wasn't convinced, went about three days before I had return remorse... I actually ended up buying the same Cyan Keyboard, Mouse and Surface at a discounted "Open Box" Price when I decided I wanted the device back. Completely unintentional but the price of Open Box is better than my Government/Student discount from BestBuy price match.

This device has no comparison to pure performance versus mobility, integrates and fits well with my WP device and Xbox One.

yonghong

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I actually returned my first SP3 because I wasn't convinced, went about three days before I had return remorse... I actually ended up buying the same Cyan Keyboard, Mouse and Surface at a discounted "Open Box" Price when I decided I wanted the device back. Completely unintentional but the price of Open Box is better than my Government/Student discount from BestBuy price match.

This device has no comparison to pure performance versus mobility, integrates and fits well with my WP device and Xbox One.

You bought the SP3 is what you returned ,smart guy, that's how you save money, store lose money.

csjjjjjjjjjjj

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've already reviewed it (above), but just a bit more after 2 weeks of additional use.

In short, I really, really like it. I never used the pen much for the first week, but now I find myself using it more and more. I guess it took me a while to find all the options with the OneNote app (insert pic, camera, select, not happy about lack of audio notes though).

If you're like me, you're replacing an old, heavy laptop that you nursed along for 6 years doing many repairs yourself. Now, you figured you'd splurge a bit... Wow, what a difference the SP3 has been. I remember trolling into coffee houses, finding a plug, booting my machine, then going to order; then when shutting down, waiting forever to hibernate, then unplugging, and putting on my backpack to leave...kind of ridiculous. Now it take 7 seconds to setup AND boot up, and 3 seconds to close the cover and leave.

p.s. So far, I've lost wifi twice as many have reported. Only twice, and I put it to sleep A LOT. Wish it never happened at all, but so far so good.

mylumia928

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Picked one up yesterday. So far it seems like a great device. Satisfies most of my laptop and tablet needs. Will see throughout the school year how it holds up vs my Acer Aspire V5-573P. High School is a tough time, and my school relies heavily on tech. Hope this is indeed a tablet that can replace my laptop! ;)

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm going on my Second week today, versatility wise the SP3 can't be beat but what about using it at home? What Monitors are you guys using, are you going with a standard Widescreen or opting for a touchy panel as well?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going on my Second week today, versatility wise the SP3 can't be beat but what about using it at home? What Monitors are you guys using, are you going with a standard Widescreen or opting for a touchy panel as well?

None... it's on my lap right now with the type cover (yes...lapability is fine) and then I pull off the type cover while using it in bed. Just rest it on my stomach and use it as a "tablet."

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 72695
I still need to take some time to figure out what I'm going to do with cables, but this is it for the moment. The angle I took the picture at exaggerates the distance between the SP3 and the monitors, so when I'm sitting they're a lot closer together from that perspective.

Green Onion

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
In short, I really, really like it. I never used the pen much for the first week, but now I find myself using it more and more. I guess it took me a while to find all the options with the OneNote app (insert pic, camera, select, not happy about lack of audio notes though).
There are audio notes in the desktop OneNote app, but they should be in the metro app, I agree.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I wish there was dark titanium-coloring available... As silly as it may sound, but it's seriously making me consider a Surface Pro 2 instead. I use my tablet (currently first gen RT) a lot in public speaking with the audience often being.. let's say quite conservative at times. I've gotten a lot of compliments regarding the very stylish and subtle tablet I use in comparison to some others who use those tacky white plastic Galaxy Tabs or iPads.

It's a bit silly, but the color is quite a big deal to me. I'd rather have the thinner and lighter device with bigger screen and (for my needs) a better pen, but meh. Surface Pro 2 might get decent amount cheaper though as the SP3 arrives here. I can live with the old screen size just fine, but it's quite thick and heavy in comparison..

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was dark titanium-coloring available... As silly as it may sound, but it's seriously making me consider a Surface Pro 2 instead. I use my tablet (currently first gen RT) a lot in public speaking with the audience often being.. let's say quite conservative at times. I've gotten a lot of compliments regarding the very stylish and subtle tablet I use in comparison to some others who use those tacky white plastic Galaxy Tabs or iPads.

It's a bit silly, but the color is quite a big deal to me. I'd rather have the thinner and lighter device with bigger screen and (for my needs) a better pen, but meh. Surface Pro 2 might get decent amount cheaper though as the SP3 arrives here. I can live with the old screen size just fine, but it's quite thick and heavy in comparison..

I don't think it sounds silly that you are concerned about this. I think it's silly that you should be judged by the color of your computer. But should you like the SP3 more than you do the SP2, get an SP3 and put a conservative skin on it. That's what I'd do.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it sounds silly that you are concerned about this. I think it's silly that you should be judged by the color of your computer. But should you like the SP3 more than you do the SP2, get an SP3 and put a conservative skin on it. That's what I'd do.
Yeah a picture of his favorite conservative talk show host would do the trick. WTF???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa