The Docking Station costs 200$ and has 5 USB ports and more.Worth the price?

paritosh sahu

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Take productivity to the next level with Docking Station for Surface Pro 3. Just click Surface Pro 3 into the dock to go from tablet to full desktop PC. With a gigabit Ethernet port for up to 1Gbps wired network speeds, Mini DisplayPort for HD video of up to 3840x2600 resolution, and five USB ports ? three USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports ? you have everything you need to attach an HD monitor, wired network connection, audio system, external mouse and keyboard, printer, and more. And with a 48W charging system, you can work and run or charge your favorite accessories and still have ample power to charge Surface Pro 3.

-From the Microsoft Surface Newsroom

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If I get the SP3, I'll almost certainly get the dock. I have the dock for my SP1 and use it on a daily basis.

What's nice:

Drop the SP into it, slide it "shut" and hit the power button. The device boots to a keyboard/mouse/monitor, and I use it just like a desktop. Take it out of the dock, and it's pretty much a tablet. Which makes the schizophrenic nature of Windows 8 really work for me: Desktop mode in the dock, touch/Metro/Modern in the hand.

Is it worth $200? Probably not, but when it's the only game in town, it's what I'll pay.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
... Until the Surface Pro 4 comes out and they make you buy a new dock again, totally worth it. ;)

Only kidding, but I'm sure there are SP2 users who actually do feel that way about the SP3 dock. (Personally, I'm sticking to my SP2, so it doesn't bother me).

Can I do dual monitors with this dock? Maybe with the port on the SP3 as well?

Sure, if you have monitors that support daisy-chaining. The Surface Pro 2 could do this too. Still dumb they didn't put a second miniDisplayPort on the Pro 3 dock though.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Its expensive, but so are all docking stations given they are usually sold to businesses who can justify the price.
I'll get one when I purchase a Surface Pro 3 (or SP4 if I can hold out until Broadwell)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett