Obstacles to Surface Success

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm very excited for Surface. There are some amazing products currently selling and, as many of us now know, the Surface Pro 3 is coming very soon, but there are some obstacles that Surface, and arguably other Microsoft products, need to overcome to succeed. Let's be clear that I define success as a substantial share in the devices used.
I'm going to focus in the Surface Pro 2 and 3.

Obstacles:

1. Unattractive prices:

The list of configuration prices is discouraging and for many, a defining point in their decision to not purchase. These devices are great products and some of us will buy them, but the price misses the sweet spot by too much. There is a level of profit that the company wants to make on each device, but it may have to shave that profit down if it wants Mass adoption. Microsoft doesn't succeed by selling to the high-paying few, but to the everyday person that these devices are so obviously marketed to.

2. Advertising

Advertisements I've seen lack the perfectly timed, balanced pop that others have. From the music, to the visuals, to the lack of honesty I see in the actor's eyes, to the confidence that erases all doubt in a buyers mind, they miss the sweet spot. The way in which the image of surface is portrayed is good, but it can be better. It needs to be honest, real, useful, easy, simple, and confident. Advertising for business is essential, but it isn't everything. Surface needs to have the everyman image of Apple, and the gutsy power of Microsoft wrapped in one.

3. Consistency and Trust

Microsoft and the Surface division need to continue to pump out innovative, high quality products on time. It is that kind if consistency that will make Surface impossible to ignore. If another device or service doesn't come rolling around the corner on schedule, customers will not respond well despite what has come before.

Let me know what you think!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think those are obstacles for Microsoft. They might be for you and me, but not for them. Besides, these gems are headed straight to the enterprise. Moreover, I think they know only those with deeper pockets is its initial target audience. Once development costs have been recovered, then you'll see a price drop but until then for most of us, if you want one, save up.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there are any obstacles. I think Surface is doing very well as it is and there is a very good chance that come October I'll be laying down cash for a Surface 3 Pro with docking station and Type Cover, rather than buy a traditional PC as I was planning.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there are any obstacles. I think Surface is doing very well as it is and there is a very good chance that come October I'll be laying down cash for a Surface 3 Pro with docking station and Type Cover, rather than buy a traditional PC as I was planning.

I'm in a similar boat, but we why isn't surface selling like other tablet/computers are?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
An almost universally hostile tech media to anything MS does.
But don't think Microsoft hasn't earned that from the media. It's not like they (the media) decided to be pro-Apple and anti-Microsoft. If Microsoft would demonstrate some humility then there would be grace. Panay looked seriously annoyed during the Surface Pro 3 demonstration. That's not going to endear him to the tech media. He took a backhanded jab at one of the tech media reporters.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
But don't think Microsoft hasn't earned that from the media. It's not like they (the media) decided to be pro-Apple and anti-Microsoft. If Microsoft would demonstrate some humility then there would be grace. Panay looked seriously annoyed during the Surface Pro 3 demonstration. That's not going to endear him to the tech media. He took a backhanded jab at one of the tech media reporters.

What's this "seriously annoyed" and "backhanded jab" you speak of? I don't doubt it, I just missed it.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What's this "seriously annoyed" and "backhanded jab" you speak of? I don't doubt it, I just missed it.

He was mocking the women bloggers with the Macbook Airs in the front row. It's quite sad because you could tell they were bored being there and they are Apple-for-lifers. So what was the point of the thing?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
He was mocking the women bloggers with the Macbook Airs in the front row. It's quite sad because you could tell they were bored being there and they are Apple-for-lifers. So what was the point of the thing?

I remember that! There was a certain degree of awkwardness. They weren't there because they are passionate about MS, but because they need to write an article and get out. Although it is important to have critics as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea