Pre ordered the i3 64gb....

Phillip Ibarra

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I pre ordered the 799 low end surface pro 3. I'm mostly using it for normal lap top tasks such as Microsoft Office and casual use that I can take with me wherever I go. Along with full desktop applications. Do you think it will serve this purpose or did I make a mistake?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 doesn't include Microsoft Office. You will need to purchase it separately. I personally think i5 one would be the best option, 128GB/i5 for $200 more; plus it ships earlier. :)

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 doesn't include Microsoft Office. You will need to purchase it separately. I personally think i5 one would be the best option, 128GB/i5 for $200 more; plus it ships earlier. :)

It's disappointing that we haven't seen Office preloaded on any yet. Hopefully we'll see this in the future.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The MS site suggests that with the 64GB one, available space will be >36GB. For me, by the time I'd installed Office, downloaded whatever OS updates are pending, a few other apps and synced a local OneDrive cache to it, there wouldn't be a lot of space left for media or other files. Just my thoughts - different users will have different needs. OK, a MicroSD card can be chucked in, but I'd like 128GB as an absolute minimum.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm disappointed that I haven't seen Office preloaded yet. That would be a big selling point.
They bank of either you purchasing a new licence for their traditional cash cow. Or, and more likely, you being covered under an existing licence/subscription.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I pre ordered the 799 low end surface pro 3. I'm mostly using it for normal lap top tasks such as Microsoft Office and casual use that I can take with me wherever I go. Along with full desktop applications. Do you think it will serve this purpose or did I make a mistake?

It's going to work fine, my Core 2 Duo laptop serves basic tasks decently, even light PC gaming and Autodesk work.
for horsepower, you should be OK, but my concern would be storage. My primary laptop has 120 GB of storage and I have trouble keeping everything I want onboard. However, much of that is games and fancy stuff like photoshop. An SD card might be something to invest in should you need the extra space.

Do any other devices have Office preloaded?

All RT tablets have free Office onboard (RT, 2, Lumia 2520), so do Bay-Trail tablets I believe. (My Dell Venue 8P came with a free Office H&S/Windows 8.1 combo license. I don't see why not others like the Toshiba Encore, ThinkPad 8... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
However my dad's Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx, a Clover-Trail tablet, didn't come with Office, so I used my 2010 license I had on that.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I wish that came with office at least. but there's web based office. which is pretty awesome still.

I think the only problem is that you can't work on something away from an internet connection...and that's a big problem. On a trip, in the library, on a walk when you get inspired, etc.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The i3 is plenty fast. It even has the same HD4400 GPU as the i5 and i7. So even if you want to do gaming, it will perform equally! :) The only thing is for encoding or decoding videos, it would be a bit slower. But not by much. You made a good choice if you don't need more than 64GB

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've asked this in numerous places and no one has answered me. I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I'm debating between the i5/256 and i7/256, because idk which one best suits my needs. I plan on using my SP3 for classwork for my college classes, for content consumption, and gaming. Games such as LoL, Sims, and Diablo I would love to play on the device. Will these work very well on an i5, or is the i7 the better option for these?

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone guess what model i3 exactly they'll be putting in? I haven't found anything other than "fourth generation", which leaves some room for performance and clock speed.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've asked this in numerous places and no one has answered me. I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I'm debating between the i5/256 and i7/256, because idk which one best suits my needs. I plan on using my SP3 for classwork for my college classes, for content consumption, and gaming. Games such as LoL, Sims, and Diablo I would love to play on the device. Will these work very well on an i5, or is the i7 the better option for these?

It really depends on what chip they end up using. There is no info on the i7 or i3 chip. The closest I saw was someone mentioning 1.9ghz for the i3 which actually puts it as a new chip that hasn't released yet. Hopefully the i7 will be something special as well. If it is not and they end up using last year's 15W i7. The performance difference between the i5 and i7 will be minimal. They would have the same graphics processor, and the i7 would have potentially a 15-20% faster CPU clock. It's not worth it for $250 in my opinion. The gaming impact will probably be 2-3fps.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on what chip they end up using. There is no info on the i7 or i3 chip. The closest I saw was someone mentioning 1.9ghz for the i3 which actually puts it as a new chip that hasn't released yet. Hopefully the i7 will be something special as well. If it is not and they end up using last year's 15W i7. The performance difference between the i5 and i7 will be minimal. They would have the same graphics processor, and the i7 would have potentially a 15-20% faster CPU clock. It's not worth it for $250 in my opinion. The gaming impact will probably be 2-3fps.

I appreciate the quick reply. You really helped me out. See, I wouldn't have to ask this question if all models were available on the 20th. Since the i7 is shipped a month and a half later than the i5, now ill go with the i5/256/8 and hope you're knowledgeable enough about the topic haha. Much thanks!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the quick reply. You really helped me out. See, I wouldn't have to ask this question if all models were available on the 20th. Since the i7 is shipped a month and a half later than the i5, now ill go with the i5/256/8 and hope you're knowledgeable enough about the topic haha. Much thanks!

Don't take my word for it! Here's a benchmark list of multiple devices that use the 4400 GPU. You'll see that under 3dmark06, some i5's even beat i7's and vice versa. The limit tends to be thermal constraints of small ultrabooks. And same if you look at the diablo 3 fps benchmarks. There's really not a huge difference.

Intel HD Graphics 4400 - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Andrew Churchill

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Here's the thing about gaming: if the CPU and GPU don't have equal power, there will be a bottleneck. This bottleneck, in the case of the surface, is the GPU. Intel integrated graphics, while much better than previous versions, are still not hugely powerful. Therefore, getting an i7 would be pointless for the most part, since it has the exact same GPU. That said, the i7 will be marginally faster. If you're the type of person who will be disappointed if they don't have the absolute latest, and the money is no object, go with the i7 to avoid a feeling of inadequacy. Otherwise, the i5 would likely be a sweet spot of price and power, especially for your purposes. Hope I could help!

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing about gaming: if the CPU and GPU don't have equal power, there will be a bottleneck. This bottleneck, in the case of the surface, is the GPU. Intel integrated graphics, while much better than previous versions, are still not hugely powerful. Therefore, getting an i7 would be pointless for the most part, since it has the exact same GPU. That said, the i7 will be marginally faster. If you're the type of person who will be disappointed if they don't have the absolute latest, and the money is no object, go with the i7 to avoid a feeling of inadequacy. Otherwise, the i5 would likely be a sweet spot of price and power, especially for your purposes. Hope I could help!

I think I can live, LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven