Praise for the 3:2 aspect ratio screen

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Since there's no topic on it, I wanted to commend MS for daring to put out a tablet that isn't 16:9. I hope other tablet and laptop makers follow now that Apple and MS have tablets not 16:9. I would even be okay if they went 16:10.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
This was a fantastic decision. The iPad aspect ratio is my favorite for reading in portrait mode, in fact I use my iPad in portrait mode 90% of the time. The aspect ratio MS is using is almost the same won't feel awkward at all portrait.

This device is something I am really trying not to buy since I just got an iPad Air and a retina Macbook (I also have a Surface 2 for testing at work). There are still some Mac Apps that I love, and need a Mac to run, but the Surface 3 may ultimately find it's way into my bag anyway.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The line I've used a number of times is "It's strange that the 'content consumption' device (iPad) has a layout better suited to content production and the 'content production' device (Surface) has a layout better suited to consumption."

The truth is, though, that widescreen seems to be value added only under certain cases. The obvious one is watching movies. Working with spreadsheets is another. For games, especially the "board" games that I play on my iPad, squarer is betterer. Also, for things like taking notes, reading books, or word processing, a ratio closer to a piece of letter/A4 paper is nearly ideal. For other "production" work, like programming, I find that the widescreen is only of benefit after the whole screen hits a certain size. Once I can read sufficient code, vertically, then I'm eager to move toolboxes out of the way, but it's not as critical.

CarlosDanielFP

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I love this aspect ratio of 3:2. If it was 16:9 like the other versions, it'd be awkward when using it in portrait mode, it also gives more workspace on screen.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely a step in the right direction of where they want to go with it. I honestly didn't think aspect ratio would play a big part in it. Now I see why it does and I have yet to view it in person.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
This was a fantastic decision. The iPad aspect ratio is my favorite for reading in portrait mode, in fact I use my iPad in portrait mode 90% of the time. The aspect ratio MS is using is almost the same won't feel awkward at all portrait.

This device is something I am really trying not to buy since I just got an iPad Air and a retina Macbook (I also have a Surface 2 for testing at work). There are still some Mac Apps that I love, and need a Mac to run, but the Surface 3 may ultimately find it's way into my bag anyway.
I agree. As much as I like the Surface Pro 3 hardware, I have reminded myself that while it makes an excellent ultrabook, it makes a poor tablet... due to the lack of Modern UI apps. When I attempt to use my Surface 2 as a tablet two things stand out... the awkwardness of the 16:9 aspect ratio and the lack touch-optimized apps.

The SP3 hardware address the aspect ratio, but the app situation remains sad.

rurutia

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree. As much as I like the Surface Pro 3 hardware, I have reminded myself that while it makes an excellent ultrabook, it makes a poor tablet... due to the lack of Modern UI apps. When I attempt to use my Surface 2 as a tablet two things stand out... the awkwardness of the 16:9 aspect ratio and the lack touch-optimized apps.

I've never had a MAC and I've never had a problem finding good apps for my windows tablet. So I ask out of genuine curiousity, what are these apps that are available on iPads that are so amazing?

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I look forward to the 3:2 aspect ratio. I had the SP1 and I find that it is unusable in portrait mode. The screen is simply too narrow.

stephking92

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Another advantage to a 3:2 aspect ratio is that, like an A4 paper, you can cut it in half and still keep the same aspect ratio. This is important in Windows 8 where side-by-side multitasking is an integral part of the productive experience.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Another advantage to a 3:2 aspect ratio is that, like an A4 paper, you can cut it in half and still keep the same aspect ratio. This is important in Windows 8 where side-by-side multitasking is an integral part of the productive experience.

That would be an aspect ratio of sqrt(2) = 1.41.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I use Windows 8.1 in desktop mode(Bootcamp with iMac), but occasionally I go check out the Windows Store to see what's good. So today I checked out if there are any good podcasting apps and nothing. If you're read Paul Thurott you know the sad state of Amazon apps(either missing or crap). Google of course has search app as a trojan horse(it's a piece of crap actually). Netflix doesn't even work right now when I play a title. No Crunchyroll app. Other apps are here, but not as well implemented compared to iOS versions and so on. It's a very sad state of affairs.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
While I was initially caught off guard by the decision to switch to a 3:2 aspect ratio (especially when Microsoft touted all the "advantages" of a 16:9 aspect ratio on the previous generations), I'm now appreciating the benefits this new ratio will offer.

Yes, movies may look slightly less snazzy now, but I could always hook up my (future) SP3 to my TV. Problem solved. The aspect ratio is actually much better all around, and should really help make this usable as a tablet. I suppose from a ratio standpoint, there's less space to snap apps side-by-side, but it's not too severe, and the fact the screen is physically bigger more than compensates for this.

So thanks Microsoft, for listening to your customers, and making our feedback obvious in your products!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've never had a MAC and I've never had a problem finding good apps for my windows tablet. So I ask out of genuine curiousity, what are these apps that are available on iPads that are so amazing?
Why did you have to mischaracterize what I said? Where did I say that those iPad apps are SO AMAZING? That leads me to believe that your curiosity is not so genuine. But for the benefit of others who would be genuinely interested I offer the following:

LOGOS Bible software. The WinRT version of Logos has no resemblance to the iOS version. In WinRT it is nothing more than a limited-function reader. No bookmarking, no highlighting, no notes... not even a TOC display. Alternative Bible reading software is not applicable here due to the resources (books, commentaries, etc.) that are specific to Logos.

Boss Jock Studio. This iOS app is a terrific podcast production app. The widescreen aspect ratio, and powered USB port of the Surface would make it a superior platform for podcast production. The widescreen would allow for a split-screen display of a text script, and the powered USB port offers greater flexibility in the number of supported USB microphones.

WriteRoom/Notesy/PlainText. I keep important notes as plain text in a DropBox folder that is accessed by Notesy/WriteRoom/PlainText on iOS, ResophNotes on Windows, Epistle on Android, and nvAlt on OSX. I have a variety of devices that I use and this setup ensures that the information is always available and synced. There is nothing like this available for Windows RT. I've tried using text editors to access those files on DropBox but it is not the same. No support for labels, keywords, or even searching across the notes. I've been giving some serious consideration to using OneNote for these purposes but the WYSIWYG notebook metaphor is not as useful as nvAlt-style notes.

Track 8 Audio player (technically, support for rubust ID3 Metadata tag support). All music player software for Windows RT appears to use the same underlying APIs. When I used the Zune desktop software, it was very finicky in handling ID3 tags. It took a lot of effort to keep things straight... specifically, using ID3V2.3 tags was the only way to ensure that the Zune would catalog things properly. I've since moved to OSX and iTunes (quite inferior to the Zune software). It seems like Windows RT is as finicky as the Zune. This will require additional work to bring newer tracks into line with the rest of my collection... even though it all works fine on OSX, iOS, and Android devices.

Chrome Web Browser. Chrome is my main web browser on all of my other platforms. The availability of plug-ins, history/bookmark syncing, and overall rendering make it my browser of choice.

Feedly. When Google Reader was discontinued I settled on Feedly as an RSS reader. Yes I can open up the Feedly website in IE, but it is NOT as usable in touch mode as a native app.

And there you have it.

rurutia

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Why did you have to mischaracterize what I said? Where did I say that those iPad apps are SO AMAZING? That leads me to believe that your curiosity is not so genuine. But for the benefit of others who would be genuinely interested I offer the following:

I was not trying to attack you or mischaracterize what you said. I was describing the impression I was getting from so many people talking up how great the app ecosystem is for Apple in comparison. The 'so amazing' is due to the number of people who have this opinion, not from anything anyone said in particular. It is the primary detracting factor people bring up that I have no way to judge because I have no reference (and didn't feel a lack on my side). I was asking you directly because you seemed to have a similar opinion. Again, it wasn't sarcastic and everything I said was genuine. I appreciate the detailed response.

From what you've listed, it seems that the problem here is partially poor adoption due to your first two being either very niche or niche and programming intensive . I can see and understand that, I can only hope this would get better with better adoption. (chicken and the egg problem)

Just FYI: Chrome is available on Metro now, I have nothing to say about its quality. (I personally use IE in metro and Chrome on desktop) Feedly plugs into Nextgen Reader and works really well. I think MetroNote is in the ecosystem that you're looking for but for Windows Phone, maybe someone will port it over to Metro now that they've made it a cinch. However! I believe NoteSphere will do what you want it to do. The search is in the Charms menu fyi. If you're willing to leave the SimpleNote ecosystem, the Evernote ecosystem is quite cozy on all platforms. :D

I use Pandora so I have no idea about the ID3 tag problem. Sorry. :(

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Just FYI: Chrome is available on Metro now(
Technically correct. Chrome is available in a Modern UI flavor for Windows x86, but is not available for Windows RT. So in the context of the Surface Pro 3, yes, that box can be checked. As I've mentioned before, I love the aspect ratio of the SP3. At this point in time, given my experience with the Surface 2, I'm not willing to pay a premium for a tablet version of an Windows 8.1 device until the touch-pieces are in place. I have a netbook and ultrabook-wannabe that combined cost less than the SP3 alone (without keyboard)... when the rest of those touch-pieces have been satisfied, that is when it will be worth it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo