Surface pro 2 outperforms Surface pro 3

Robindjuret

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Copy the following links into separate tabs and put them side by side:

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review - Windows 8 Tablets
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Review - Laptop Replacement - LAPTOP

These are i5 versions of pro 2 and 3.

I was really surprised to see that the pro 2 outscores the pro 3 on all the 3Dmark benchmarks. Also, the boot time is faster, battery lasts longer, it produces less heat and copies files faster. In World of warcraft played at 13x7 resolution and ultra setting the pro 2 gets 24 fps while the pro 3 gets 13 fps (!).

What the hell is wrong with this picture?

I've been waiting with my surface purchase and like everyone else I was thrilled when I watched the Pro 3 release event. But now my enthusiasm has cooled off. Sure the pro 3 has some great new features but it also takes a few steps back on other points compared to the pro 2.

Would I be crazy if I bought a pro 2 now?

bpmurr

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I was really surprised to see that the pro 2 outscores the pro 3 on all the 3Dmark benchmarks. Also, the boot time is faster, battery lasts longer, it produces less heat and copies files faster. In World of warcraft played at 13x7 resolution and ultra setting the pro 2 gets 24 fps while the pro 3 gets 13 fps (!).

I've been waiting with my surface purchase and like everyone else I was thrilled when I watched the Pro 3 release event. But now my enthusiasm has cooled off. Sure the pro 3 has some great new features but it also takes a few steps back on other points compared to the pro 2.

Maybe it's a driver issue. Didn't they just release a big updated yesterday? This guy has only had the until for two days at most. Not sure if I trust a review already.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

The i5 version of Surface Pro 3 uses the same CPU and GPU as Surface Pro 2. For the most part I would expect the performance to be very similar when released with final drivers. Since anyone doing a review is probably using a pre-production demo unit, I am not surprised it doesn't perform well. In my experience, those units are either rigged to over perform (Apple) or over estimate battery life (again Apple) or are not really completely ready for primetime. I would not be at all surprised if the demo units are not yet really optimized for the larger screen which could hit a lot of performance categories. As to it running hotter, I would not be surprised for the same reason, compounded by the fact it is a thinner device. With respect to battery life, I find the claim of longer battery life to be a bit suspect since the screen has a higher pixel count (one of the biggest battery killers) and much of the other hardware is the same between the two. If claims about the polling rate for the new pen are to be believed, that would also hit the battery. Given some optimizations and perhaps a newer battery though, comparable performance at release should be expected. Since I can get better than eight hours with Surface Pro 2 nine hours may only be a bit of exaggeration. In the interim, however, assuming a preproduction unit not rigged to last longer, poorer battery performance at the moment wouldn't really be a shocking (or meaningful). These sorts of things are always the dangers of handing things out before they are final.

With respect to whether you would be crazy to buy a Surface Pro 2, that depends upon what you want/need. If you want a more compact package, aren't going for the I7, or need an industry standard digitizer/stylus, I would recommend Surface Pro 2. In fact, I have recommended it and will continue to do so for quite some time and am setting up an office with them. If you want the added perks of Surface Pro 3, or the i7, or simply a larger screen, and don't need Wacom compatibility on the digitizer front get the Surface Pro 3. FWIW, the prices are nearly identical for a reason. They share more technology than not based upon the spec sheets. Biggest disadvantage for me, and absolute deal killer is the digitizer/pen. People can spin that however they like but a non-Wacom system will be inferior for many business applications that use digitizers.

Robindjuret

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I like the fact that the pro 3 is thinner and lighter but I don't necessarily like the bigger screen size. 10.6 inches makes it more portable. Combined with the new type cover the pro 3 is a substantially larger piece. That is a disadvantage while travelling and it also takes up more space on my desk at work (where my primary device is a dual screen desktop). Also, I hate the fact that there is no dedicated spot for the pen on the actual device. It looks ridiculous hanging loosely by the side of the type cover and attaching it to the underside of the cover only works well when you're carrying it around.

On the other hand the new kickstand looks awesome and the trackpad on the new type cover seems a lot better.

I've thought about this for 3 days now and I can't make a decision. Help! If I'm not careful I might end up buying an ipad haha.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't the SP3 be a bit slower because of the larger display, i.e., the GPU is pushing more pixels and since its the same GPU it has to work harder on the SP3

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Look at the screen resolution on each, thats the difference.

co4nd

May 18, 2014
Visit site

Same GPU but more pixels, more pixels means more for the GPU to handle, game settings don't mater because the GPU still has to account for each pixel. More pixels usually means less FPS unless you have a high end desktop graphic card.

Both those scores are pathetic however which is why the Surface Pro can never replace my laptop.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the SP3 be a bit slower because of the larger display, i.e., the GPU is pushing more pixels and since its the same GPU it has to work harder on the SP3

The review said they used some low 1280x720 resolution for the gaming test. To keep that variable equal

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
that's very interesting. i was really hyped on the SP3 after watching the presentation, but now that the reviews are coming in I have to say i had a change of heart. i'm a 100% behind Microsoft's vision, but it still feels like they need at least one more generation to make it a compelling laptop replacement. i was over enthusiastic buying into the first generation and I dont want to repeat that mistake.

perhaps the best user scenario is mainly using the surface on the go, since even the new type cover is meant to be a less than perfect keyboard replacement, and if you're using it to power a workstation the smaller sp2 is probably a better buy, even if that's going against the mantra of constant progress.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Not crazy at all. The surface pro 2 is a laptop 💻 replacement and I see no reason to get the pro 3. Unless you need the bigger size screen there isn't much reason to get it

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Not crazy at all. The surface pro 2 is a laptop �� replacement and I see no reason to get the pro 3. Unless you need the bigger size screen there isn't much reason to get it

From what I've read, the pen is more accurate, the screen is bigger and may have a higher pixel density (though I'm sure about that). The battery is a bit better and the kick stand us much improved.

It is larger so its less of a tablet in one sense where you're not apt to use it much like a tablet perhaps but more like a laptop.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
...may have a higher pixel density...
Surface 2 is 208 DPI; Surface 3 is 216 DPI.

While doing the numbers, I did just notice a downside. If you're very devout in a religion that care about this, the Surface 3 could be a problem because its screen height is 6.66". :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos