When I saw the revealing of the surface Pro 3 this Tuesday it was with the feeling... YES, they did it!
    The 3:2 screen with an 2160 x 1440 resolution is perfect for everything but movies.
    I rely loved the pen and the ability to just click on it and be able to take notes.
    The weight is amazing in the view of that it is an full blown ultrabook and that it has 10 hours of work time.

Here comes the issue:
    I don't need a ultrabook, I do not produce that much content outside my desktop with an nice 27 inch screen and a mechanical keyboard. I'm looking for the perfect tablet for media consumption and some very lite production, like doing some email, posting on forums and maybe some lite writing. I want to be able to do this on the run, while on the bus or commuter train, while waiting for the bus, on those 10 minutes when you are on your own on the loo (yes an lootop), when you are abroad and need to look up the opening hours of a museum and such. You need something lightweight, with 3G/4G connection. A pen would be wonderful and so would a type cover, but not an 12 inch and 800 gram device without 3G/4G. The surface Pro 3 is to much for my needs and I would also guess for most peoples needs. The content producers are in a minority and the content users are the majority.

I'm still dreaming of a surface 3 with an 8.5 inch screen, a 3:2 aspect with an 1920 x 1280 resolution would be great and that great pen with its short cut to Onenote. The full package with an weight less than a pound, max 500 gram and at least 10 hours work time. Oh, that would be an dream.

So it will not be an buy as I can't find any real reason besides that the Surface Pro 3 is amazing and cool, I'll still wait for my dream device to replace my old iPad 2 and release med from Apple.
    05-23-2014 12:21 PM
    Hey Welcome to WPCentral forums :)
    I got you here. 12inch device isn't for you but for me I would love enjoying movies on a big canvas. I tried using an iPad mini for few weeks , but I was back with my iPad 3. Surface mini is around the corner and specs would be very much similar.
    maddogmoffit likes this.
    05-23-2014 12:28 PM
    Well, you are basically describing a Surface 2 with LTE.
    But it has a 16:9 screen though
    05-23-2014 12:48 PM
    I thought about the Surface 2 with LTE but my biggest gripe with my iPad2 outside being limited by Apples design (no USB, hard to get files in it and so on) is the weight, 601 gram. It's not heavy carrying but the static weight when holding it without any support comes quickly down on you. That's why I didn't buy and iPad3 or 4, I didn't want any heavier device and I was hoping for a rely high quality Microsoft device. Surface 2 with its 675 gram is not mobile enough for me. That and sofar it is US only. The iPad air weight of 478 gram is more close to perfect and I could add some extra weight for an pen and a pen slot.
    05-23-2014 01:07 PM
    Looking back at what I wrote in post #4 I see looks a bit like a whining. What I'm trying to say is that I hope for a windows tablet around a pound with 3G/4G, a pen and at least Full HD.
    Lenovo Thinkpad 8 was close but missed both pen and 3G/4G (and has some battery issues if I are to believe the reviewers)
    Dell Venue 8 Pro are even closer but miss out on HD and I'm very close skip the full HD now. I just hope the pen works at least half as good as that on Surface Pro 3.
    Last edited by maddogmoffit; 05-23-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Discovered that DV8P now have 4G
    05-23-2014 04:07 PM
    Or a smartphone...
    05-23-2014 09:59 PM
    I too don't need an ultrabook replacement, simply because I have a 15" laptop with a dedicated GPU that I need for work and the SP3's similarity to a laptop in terms of power and size did give me pause, but I can still see myself getting a lower-specced one for sketching and Photoshop work with the pen (the 3:2 ratio is gold IMO).

Currently I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro which I love for tablet consumption stuff but would have to sell before it would make financial sense to buy another tablet. I'm concerned an SP3 might be too unwieldy for that sort of thing, but I have to hold it in my hands first to decide. I might just upsize my phone to a 1520 to replace the Dell.
    05-23-2014 10:22 PM
    I gave up waiting for the Surface Mine and the SP3 is way to heavy for my needs. I just ordered and Dell Venue 8 Pro with 3G/4G, 64 GB and a pen. I hope that will be what I'm looking for an I would get more than a little bit peeved with Microsoft if the release the Surface Mini at the end of summer. I'll guess I'll write my impressions on the Dell tablet in the Venue 8 forum after I got it.
    05-25-2014 09:45 AM