Joanna Stern's SP3 Review

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well MS singled her out, heres the review, warts and all...

Microsoft Surface Pro 3: A Tablet That Desperately Wants To Be a Laptop - WSJ.com

Microsoft Surface Pro 3: A Tablet That Desperately Wants To Be a Laptop

On Its Third Try, Has Microsoft Created the Ultimate 'Post-PC' Device?

By Joanna Stern
May 27, 2014 12:50 p.m. ET

Can Microsoft's latest Surface replace your laptop? Personal Technology columnist Joanna Stern reviews the tablet-laptop hybrid. Photo/Video: Drew Evans for The Wall Street Journal.

I've been having a recurring dream lately. No, not the one where Betty White teaches me to hot-wire a car. Instead I'm in the future, using some sort of "post-PC" device that combines the best of my laptop and tablet. It's the perfect hybrid of convenience and efficiency.

Then last week, Microsoft MSFT -0.06% introduced the Surface Pro 3. It looked as if the dream had come true.

In fact, at its news conference, the head of the Surface team directly said that this device would meet my expectations of the laptop of the future. Sometimes real life can be stranger than dreams.

Yes, Microsoft is confident that?with a larger, higher-resolution 12-inch HD screen, new keyboard, improved kickstand and $799 starting price?its new Surface Pro 3 tablet can replace not my iPad, but my beloved 13-inch MacBook Air.

So I tested that claim. For the last week, my laptop has lived under my bed as I've spent my waking life with the Pro 3. On its third attempt, Microsoft has leapt forward in bringing the tablet and laptop together?and bringing the laptop into the future. But the Pro 3 also suffers from the Surface curse: You still make considerable compromises for getting everything in one package.

The Surface's new kickstand sits more comfortably on a lap. Drew Evans/The Wall Street Journal

The Pro 3 is a tablet?it's just a different kind of tablet. At 1.76 pounds, it's not an iPad kind of tablet. Microsoft is clearly going after its original vision of the tablet here (stylus and all), rather than Apple's AAPL +1.87% more limited?but more successful?approach. You can't hold the Surface Pro 3 for hours, reading in bed. Its weight and cumbersome size wear out your arm, and the back corners of the tablet can get quite warm.

Still, I find it useful in the living room as a shared window to the Internet. And with the included digital pen, the Surface Pro 3 becomes a legal pad. Microsoft has improved the ability to rest your whole hand on the screen, and the handwriting recognition has gotten quite good.

But the Surface Pro 3's greater appeal is as a laptop replacement. In fact, it's one of the most portable PCs ever made. Microsoft has remarkably crammed all the high-power guts of a laptop?in the case of my $1,300 review unit, a Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and 256GB of solid-state storage, though sadly only one USB port?into that thin magnesium case. Even the MacBook Air is almost double the thickness and weight.

That gap narrows when you add the new Type Cover keyboard to convert the tablet into a laptop, of course. The backlit, 0.2-inch-thick accessory still clicks into the bottom of the tablet, but a magnetic strip along the top of the keyboard allows it to be propped up against the screen.

Surface Pro 3, right, next to Apple's Macbook Air Drew Evans/The Wall Street Journal

The slope is helpful, though the lack of support causes the keyboard to bend a bit. That also means you press harder on the keys, resulting in a loud clacking. You won't find a better keyboard for a tablet, but you'll find much better keyboards, even in the budget laptop aisle.

The trackpad has been enlarged, but not enough?it still feels claustrophobic. Two-finger scrolling doesn't consistently work, either, and because the pad is so close to the keyboard, the cursor can easily jump when you're typing. It's so frustrating, you'll want a mouse instead.

Not only did Microsoft not do enough to perfect the Type Cover, that very thing that makes the Surface a laptop, but it still isn't included in the box. It's a $130 add-on. That's like buying a car without tires.

However, the "lapability"?Microsoft's term to describe the stability of the device when it sits on your lap?is now much improved. The screen can be adjusted to most angles to better position it on your legs. The top-heavy setup still takes more tinkering than a laptop, but I was able to write parts of this review while lying in bed and sitting in a lawn chair with my knees bent.

I made up a term, too: Surfprints, the indentations that can be left on your skin by the sharp metal kickstand.

The new trackpad has been enlarged, but still feels claustrophobic. Drew Evans/The Wall Street Journal

Battery life is much better than the last Surface Pro?Microsoft deserves credit for even beating the battery life of the latest ultrabooks. Still, it doesn't live up to the all-day promise Microsoft has made touting its new machine. The Surface streamed video for 7 hours?the MacBook Air lasted nearly 9 1/2 hours in the same test. And in regular use with the screen brightness all the way up, the Pro 3 gave a "battery is low" warning every 3 to 4 hours.

From time to time, the two Pro 3 tablets we tested would die suddenly and require a hard reboot. Microsoft plans to release a software update to fix the issue before the tablet is widely available in June.

The Pro 3 can truly challenge a real laptop in raw power. Other than minor lag in Chrome, everything runs smoothly. The beautiful, high-resolution 2160x1440-pixel screen and its new 3:2 aspect ratio make it easy to put windows side by side on the desktop or lock three apps across the screen.

While I love that feature?and Windows 8.1's separate desktop and tablet worlds make more sense on a device like this?I still find Microsoft's latest operating system overly complicated and disjointed.

The new 12-inch screen allows you to run three apps side by side. Drew Evans/The Wall Street Journal

And though there are some finger-friendly things I do in what Microsoft calls the "Modern" touch screen interface, I find myself most of the time in the classic Desktop, where trackpad and keyboard rule. The announced return of the original Start menu will help further distinguish the separate laptop and tablet interfaces.

The Surface Pro 3 shows that Microsoft has real hardware skills now, and the device has many of the right elements of my dream post-PC. Yet I am left wondering: Why didn't Microsoft make this a better laptop?

A bigger, better trackpad and keyboard might not sound very post-PC, but there is still nothing more vital to the way we interact with our laptops today. And while you won't find a tablet out there that will let you get more work done, the Type Cover-and-kickstand combo, innovative as it may be, is no match for even the most basic laptop.

The Surface Pro 3 isn't the device of my dreams?not yet. But I find it pretty amazing to watch the future of computing unfold without having to close my eyes.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I think people need to realize this is true innovation and I was genuinely shocked and awed at the product we see here as the Surface Pro 3.

I just see a lot of...oh it isnt the best at this. Of course there will be trade offs as there is with anything. But I'd be damned if I could game, then open up office type a report out with a full featured word and excel, then run off to a meeting and just take it in to write notes on. I'd say that's the future. Let me know when another company is doing the same thing.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep I agree. MS is LEADING the pack with this tech and the future is exciting. As a business user I was going to deck out the office with SP3's however I will wait for SP4 as with each iteration things get better and better and Win pro 8.1 still has an identity crisis. She does have some valid points though and some are just plain bias towards Apple. MS will win the hearts of business users with the development in the pipeline and SP4 with Windows 9 (without the stupid metro integration the way it is at the moment) would definitely be a massive step in right direction. For now though SP2 is fine & Broadwells not too far.

Will be interesting to see a comparison between the SP3 and the new Air which im sure will be announced next week, MS best hope they don't have the scales out lol

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The fact that different reviews focus on comparisons of either laptops or tablets is a good indicator that MS has bridged the gap pretty well. Sure it won't be as great a tablet as the best tablet, or as great a laptop as the best laptop: it is, however, the best single device you can carry if you need both. The reviewers, imo, are too narrow in their focus.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I think the criticisms levied at the SP3 are accurate, i.e., trackpad, all those cords, needing a usb hub, etc. Still I think the SP3 is a great product.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sure it won't be as great a tablet as the best tablet, or as great a laptop as the best laptop

I agree that laptops have it beat at being a laptop, but I'm not sure there's a tablet to beat it for reasons other than the available apps or weight. I have an iPad air and the OS and gestures for getting around apps and the browser are awkward compared to Windows 8.1, the lack of snapping apps is a major limitation, and the lack of pen makes it useless as a note-taking device. Of course, the reason I have an iPad is because there was a niche app I needed, so Apples wins in that area. But WP 8.1 is hands down a better tablet OS and the hardware (including the stylus) is better, so while the iPad might do a couple things better (apps, weight), there's a good argument to be made that the Surface Pro is in fact the best tablet. That term is relative depending on individuals' needs, of course, but the statement that's not the best needs to be qualified at this point. It does an awful lot of things a lot better than any of the competition.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Comments like this ruin the review (and similar reviews) for me "You can't hold the Surface Pro 3 for hours, reading in bed". Hours holding a tablet without a break? I think you'd have issues holding your arms up for that long let alone a tablet. Am I the only person that rest my tablet on my lap, pillow or headrest? On the trackpad issue I can see her point but I've never used a decent trackpad; and on the SP3 you have a USB port for the mouse and touch and pen built-in.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Agree 100% - it's a common comment too, which is ridiculous. I've tried holding books, tablets, phones...shoot, a couple pieces of paper up while in bed. I can't manage more than 10 minutes before flipping onto my stomach.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Its a revolutionary device in that if I had only $1000 to spend what would I get. I wont buy a budget pc, android tablet, Chromebook, and the iPad cant stand alone as the only device. So the surface pro makes sense in that scenario. So here is the problem. The only SP3's that make sense cost well over $1000 with keyboard. So in order for it to make sense it needs an I5, 256GB, 4gb ram, and type cover. There is a target price range for the type of customer that buy PC laptops and this is over that.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Its a revolutionary device in that if I had only $1000 to spend what would I get. I wont buy a budget pc, android tablet, Chromebook, and the iPad cant stand alone as the only device. So the surface pro makes sense in that scenario. So here is the problem. The only SP3's that make sense cost well over $1000 with keyboard. So in order for it to make sense it needs an I5, 256GB, 4gb ram, and type cover. There is a target price range for the type of customer that buy PC laptops and this is over that.

Can you give an example of one (laptop PC) that is comparable at a lower price? Just one...and no, "there are too many to list" type of response.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Can you give an example of one (laptop PC) that is comparable at a lower price? Just one...and no, "there are too many to list" type of response.

I dont understand the last part of your question but yes there are comparable laptops (that actually have keyboards attached)and many cheaper tablets and it is a tablet with a keyboard purchase it has some computability.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I dont understand the last part of your question but yes there are comparable laptops (that actually have keyboards attached)and many cheaper tablets and it is a tablet with a keyboard purchase it has some computability.

You stated that the target customer can by a laptop PC less than the approx. $1200 it would cost to get into a SP3 w/keyboard. I'm just asking for you to provide an example of a specific model laptop that you would find comparable.

Cornelius Hardy

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have been waiting to read this review. Most of the bad she mentioned are small things. The touch pad is a feature that sometimes doesn't even work that well on laptops. That is where a USB or Bluetooth mouse will come in. The same for the keyboard. I rarely use the touch pad on my Surface 2 when the keyboard is attached. I still like to use the touch screen to move around. Typing is a breeze though although it takes a little while to get used to. I don't understand the being heavy while lying in bed. You can't hold anything up for a long time without your arm hurting. My surface is always on my lap, or on the couch. I understand the battery getting hot although you barely feel it. Not enough to need one of the fan coolers that they make for laptops. I do love that pen and I'm hoping that Photoshop will have the same features when it comes to Surface 2(if it does). Bridging the gap between tablet and laptop is something I think Microsoft has done very well. I have a desktop and I don't use it for anything anymore, except watching larger screen movies, and Photoshop. I able to work on my clothing line, and websites for business, and handle pretty much everything else on the Surface. ((Productivity and Play)) is the key phrase here. I couldn't do that on the Galaxy Tab, and attempting to do things on the Macbook Air drove me nuts. I carry my Surface and 925 with me, and that is all I need. I do hate that there is not enough selection in accessories like cases. Third part party support is still lacking since they are probably waiting to see if Surface will take off with it's users. I ended up making my own case for my surface, and I'll probably just start designing some for the 3 as well.

c d

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree, and think that the Surface Pro 3 is far more than an incremental upgrade. Can't wait to see one or two more generations down the line

c d

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Acer Aspire s7 is in the price range, as an insanely good laptop, but this seems to work well as a laptop and a great tablet.

c d

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Once I got my Surface Pro 2 the Ipad pretty much stayed at home and the SP2 went everywhere. Can't wait for this one.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You stated that the target customer can by a laptop PC less than the approx. $1200 it would cost to get into a SP3 w/keyboard. I'm just asking for you to provide an example of a specific model laptop that you would find comparable.

Use google dude, I am not going to start putting links to please you. Sony alone has a convertible running full windows for $599 at best buy and it comes with a keyboard. You can even buy a tablet and add a keyboard for cheaper than this.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree that if you can't post a single comparable link, then your comment about comparable devices being cheaper has little credibility.

As for your vague reference to some Sony at Bestbuy for $599, I took a look at the BestBuy website, and the only $599 hybrid Sony on the BestBuy site is was a REFURBISHED Vaio that normally sells for $799 (same price as the entry level SP3) but was discounted because it was refurbished. Looking at the non-refurbished equivalent, it is the same price as the SP3. And while it has the same processor, RAM, etc. as the SP3, it's also a whopping 4.3 lbs, and it does not have a pen.

If that's your comparison, it's probably the Sony that's overpriced, not the SP3.

That's fairly consistent with my evaluation of other comparable devices -- the SP3 is actually a pretty decent value for the money.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I tend to agree that if you can't post a single comparable link, then your comment about comparable devices being cheaper has little credibility.

As for your vague reference to some Sony at Bestbuy for $599, I took a look at the BestBuy website, and the only $599 hybrid Sony on the BestBuy site is was a REFURBISHED Vaio that normally sells for $799 (same price as the entry level SP3) but was discounted because it was refurbished. Looking at the non-refurbished equivalent, it is the same price as the SP3. And while it has the same processor, RAM, etc. as the SP3, it's also a whopping 4.3 lbs, and it does not have a pen.

If that's your comparison, it's probably the Sony that's overpriced, not the SP3.

That's fairly consistent with my evaluation of other comparable devices -- the SP3 is actually a pretty decent value for the money.
Do you not have the internet? I tend to think that the sp3 isn't competitively priced if you can't provide a link. It's too expensive for not having a keyboard. Keyboard it's ok no keyboard it's an overpriced tablet. There's your link now admit it's overpriced. $799 comes with a keyboard and you can go buy a pen for $9.99.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ony%2Btablet%26cp%3D1%26lp%3D2&token=2EMENDm5

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...enovo%2Byoga%26cp%3D1%26lp%3D4&token=sF9c0Hno

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-split-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-modern-silver/1799161.p?id=1219064720472&skuId=1799161&st=pcmcat309300050015_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=10

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-amd-a6-series-4gb-memory-64gb-solid-state-drive-black/2824478.p?id=1219079207291&skuId=2824478&st=pcmcat309300050015_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=13

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-split-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-black-silver/1902357.p?id=1219066875875&skuId=1902357&st=pcmcat309300050015_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=15

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-clementine-orange/1838544.p?id=1219065989744&skuId=1838544&st=pcmcat309300050015_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=13

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver-gray/1835037.p?id=1219065985762&skuId=1835037&st=pcmcat309300050015_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=11

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hdd-16gb-solid-state-drive-black/5399064.p?id=1219122741340&skuId=5399064&st=pcmcat309300050015_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=2&lp=9

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire