Will SP3 open MS Office docs created on Windows XP?

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so here is my first "***** Newbie" post!
I REALLY want a Surface 3! My husband asks if it will be able to work with documents and files from my XP computer, and I haven't seen anything, anywhere, that states how it works with files from various operating systems, let alone old XP. My husband is happy with XP, but I want to go "newer and portable" and the S3 seems the way to go. What say you?
Thanks!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the file, really. For example, I have some old games that were made for XP and some work while others don't. It really depends on each individual program.

Now if you just mean files such as .pdf or .doc or .mp3 files, then yes, it'll work just fine for those.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
What kind of documents and files do you have? Are these Word documents, pictures, or what?

The answer to your question will likely be "yes," but we need a little more information to know for certain.

atkulp

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
From the title, I was afraid you wanted to install Windows XP *on* a Surface Pro 3! I was ready to be outraged! ;-)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, to all.

You just need to copy your 'stuff'' (pictures, music, videos, documents, etc.) to the Surface. If you have any Programs on your old computer that you want to use on the Surface, you will have to reinstall them on the Surface (ex: Quicken), you will need the install program.

A nice USB "thumb drive" is quite useful for this. Connect the thumb drive to the old computer, copy your 'stuff' to it. Take it to the Surface an plug it in, and copy the 'stuff' to the Surface and put the files in the appropriate directories/folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.).

You can also use the thumb drive for installing programs that came on CD's or DVD's, since the Surface doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Again, on your old computer put the thumb drive in, and you program install CD/DVD. Copy the CD/DVD over to the thumb drive. Again take the thumb drive over to the Surface and install the program from the thumb drive. (I should add that if the program is old, it may not run properly on Windows 8.1. You may have to get a newer copy)

NOW.... you will have a bit of a learning curve of going from XP to Windows 8.1, if you haven't used Windows 8.1 yet. The biggest thing is that they took the start button in the lower left of the screen and BLEW IT UP to be a start SCREEN (to put it simply) that you can customize and move icons around.

But with Windows 8.x they give you full screen 'Apps' to work with, but you still can install and run desktop 'Programs' (I like to differentiate the differences as Apps and Programs)

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I do mean Word documents and pictures, music, no games, but we do use Outlook 2003 for our appointments, schedules, and email. I should also mention that I have not been able to get my Lumia Icon phone (nor my old Win7.5 HTC Trophy) to sync with the XP, and I was hoping that the S3 would solve the problem ... maybe be the "go between".

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It'll handle all of that like a breeze, and Windows 8.1 is absolutely great when it comes to device compatibility. So you won't even need to worry about syncing issues.

I just read on the Microsoft site that the Office suite needs to be installed separately. So much for trusting press releases.

So you'll need to buy the Microsoft Office suite or install a free Office suite from the internet to access or edit Word documents and the likes (just like you would have had to do with any computer).

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, this is the Surface Pro 3, not the Surface 3 (doesn't exist)

You can install Office 2003 on your SP3, but if I were you I would upgrade to office 2013. You will get the ribbon interface and it will be different but I find it better. :)

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do mean Word documents and pictures, music, no games, but we do use Outlook 2003 for our appointments, schedules, and email. I should also mention that I have not been able to get my Lumia Icon phone (nor my old Win7.5 HTC Trophy) to sync with the XP, and I was hoping that the S3 would solve the problem ... maybe be the "go between".

If you use OpenOffice.org, yes they will work again, and for free

maxknux

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think office 2003 is not supported. I think only office 2010 or 2013 is supported.
You could get office 360 personal as well

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't you just install a virtual machine for Windows XP files/apps that wont work on Windows 8.X?

Did you seriously just ask if a person with low computer literacy (no offense) - who didn't even know if files on XP worked on Windows 8 - couldn't "just install" a virtual machine to run XP parallel to Windows 8?

Why don't we ask her to build a moonrocket while we're at it? >:|

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea how to delete one of the threads, or how I even got 2 of them. Thank you to all who kindly responded to answer my question! It sounds like I should not have too many problems ... just a steep learning curve!
Just don't get to frustrated while learning. I'm sure when you or your husband first start playing around with Windows 8 you'll start screaming "Why, WHY!!!! Did Microsoft do this to us???? XP was fine!" (I did, in the beginning, but now I really LIKE W8). Well, things change, and some things just be left behind (XP). Just literally poke around with your finger on the screen, play with swiping from the edges of the screen (left, right, top, bottom), two finger pinch, expand, etc.

In Windows 8.1, Microsoft gave us a "Help + Tips" app. I HIGHLY recommend going through and read the tips and watch the little videos for first time users.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism