05-30-2014 11:55 PM
29 12
tools
    Okay, so here is my first "***** Newbie" post!
    I REALLY want a Surface 3! My husband asks if it will be able to work with documents and files from my XP computer, and I haven't seen anything, anywhere, that states how it works with files from various operating systems, let alone old XP. My husband is happy with XP, but I want to go "newer and portable" and the S3 seems the way to go. What say you?
    Thanks!
    05-28-2014 07:03 PM
    It depends on the file, really. For example, I have some old games that were made for XP and some work while others don't. It really depends on each individual program.

Now if you just mean files such as .pdf or .doc or .mp3 files, then yes, it'll work just fine for those.
    xandros9 and NMCynthia like this.
    05-28-2014 07:10 PM
    What kind of documents and files do you have? Are these Word documents, pictures, or what?

The answer to your question will likely be "yes," but we need a little more information to know for certain.
    NMCynthia, rdubmu and xandros9 like this.
    05-28-2014 07:10 PM
    Essentially, everything from Microsoft is backwards compatible.

So yes, absolutely.
    NMCynthia and xandros9 like this.
    05-28-2014 07:11 PM
    The surface pro 3 runs on Windows 8.1 which will happily pair with windows xp for the purposes of file sharing etc. :)
    NMCynthia likes this.
    05-28-2014 07:11 PM
    From the title, I was afraid you wanted to install Windows XP *on* a Surface Pro 3! I was ready to be outraged! ;-)
    05-28-2014 07:15 PM
    From the title, I was afraid you wanted to install Windows XP *on* a Surface Pro 3! I was ready to be outraged! ;-)
    Though not completely unthinkable for a governmental organisation to do, sadly. :/
    paragoneer and xandros9 like this.
    05-28-2014 07:18 PM
    Yes, to all.

You just need to copy your 'stuff'' (pictures, music, videos, documents, etc.) to the Surface. If you have any Programs on your old computer that you want to use on the Surface, you will have to reinstall them on the Surface (ex: Quicken), you will need the install program.

A nice USB "thumb drive" is quite useful for this. Connect the thumb drive to the old computer, copy your 'stuff' to it. Take it to the Surface an plug it in, and copy the 'stuff' to the Surface and put the files in the appropriate directories/folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.).

You can also use the thumb drive for installing programs that came on CD's or DVD's, since the Surface doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Again, on your old computer put the thumb drive in, and you program install CD/DVD. Copy the CD/DVD over to the thumb drive. Again take the thumb drive over to the Surface and install the program from the thumb drive. (I should add that if the program is old, it may not run properly on Windows 8.1. You may have to get a newer copy)

NOW.... you will have a bit of a learning curve of going from XP to Windows 8.1, if you haven't used Windows 8.1 yet. The biggest thing is that they took the start button in the lower left of the screen and BLEW IT UP to be a start SCREEN (to put it simply) that you can customize and move icons around.

But with Windows 8.x they give you full screen 'Apps' to work with, but you still can install and run desktop 'Programs' (I like to differentiate the differences as Apps and Programs)
    Beijendorf, NMCynthia and xandros9 like this.
    05-28-2014 07:24 PM
    Yes, I do mean Word documents and pictures, music, no games, but we do use Outlook 2003 for our appointments, schedules, and email. I should also mention that I have not been able to get my Lumia Icon phone (nor my old Win7.5 HTC Trophy) to sync with the XP, and I was hoping that the S3 would solve the problem ... maybe be the "go between".
    05-28-2014 07:24 PM
    It'll handle all of that like a breeze, and Windows 8.1 is absolutely great when it comes to device compatibility. So you won't even need to worry about syncing issues.

I just read on the Microsoft site that the Office suite needs to be installed separately. So much for trusting press releases.

So you'll need to buy the Microsoft Office suite or install a free Office suite from the internet to access or edit Word documents and the likes (just like you would have had to do with any computer).
    Last edited by Beijendorf; 05-28-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Erroneous information.
    xandros9 and NMCynthia like this.
    05-28-2014 07:29 PM
    Install XP as a VM in the Surface. You get the best of both worlds. :)
    NMCynthia likes this.
    05-28-2014 07:31 PM
    Thank you so much!
    05-28-2014 09:09 PM
    Just to be clear, this is the Surface Pro 3, not the Surface 3 (doesn't exist)

You can install Office 2003 on your SP3, but if I were you I would upgrade to office 2013. You will get the ribbon interface and it will be different but I find it better. :)

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    NMCynthia and xandros9 like this.
    05-28-2014 09:44 PM
    Yes, I do mean Word documents and pictures, music, no games, but we do use Outlook 2003 for our appointments, schedules, and email. I should also mention that I have not been able to get my Lumia Icon phone (nor my old Win7.5 HTC Trophy) to sync with the XP, and I was hoping that the S3 would solve the problem ... maybe be the "go between".
    If you use OpenOffice.org, yes they will work again, and for free
    NMCynthia likes this.
    05-28-2014 10:17 PM
    Install XP as a VM in the Surface. You get the best of both worlds. :)

That would be a waste of space just to open documents.
    xandros9, NMCynthia and a5cent like this.
    05-29-2014 03:53 AM
    I think office 2003 is not supported. I think only office 2010 or 2013 is supported.
    You could get office 360 personal as well
    NMCynthia likes this.
    05-29-2014 04:19 AM
    Wow is this a joke?
    05-29-2014 04:26 AM
    Couldn't you just install a virtual machine for Windows XP files/apps that wont work on Windows 8.X?
    05-29-2014 06:00 AM
    Couldn't you just install a virtual machine for Windows XP files/apps that wont work on Windows 8.X?
    Did you seriously just ask if a person with low computer literacy (no offense) - who didn't even know if files on XP worked on Windows 8 - couldn't "just install" a virtual machine to run XP parallel to Windows 8?

Why don't we ask her to build a moonrocket while we're at it? >:|
    xandros9 and Racing Snake like this.
    05-29-2014 06:11 AM
    I have no idea how to delete one of the threads, or how I even got 2 of them. Thank you to all who kindly responded to answer my question! It sounds like I should not have too many problems ... just a steep learning curve!
    Just don't get to frustrated while learning. I'm sure when you or your husband first start playing around with Windows 8 you'll start screaming "Why, WHY!!!! Did Microsoft do this to us???? XP was fine!" (I did, in the beginning, but now I really LIKE W8). Well, things change, and some things just be left behind (XP). Just literally poke around with your finger on the screen, play with swiping from the edges of the screen (left, right, top, bottom), two finger pinch, expand, etc.

In Windows 8.1, Microsoft gave us a "Help + Tips" app. I HIGHLY recommend going through and read the tips and watch the little videos for first time users.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    05-29-2014 02:59 PM
    Just don't get to frustrated while learning. I'm sure when you or your husband first start playing around with Windows 8 you'll start screaming "Why, WHY!!!! Did Microsoft do this to us???? XP was fine!" (I did, in the beginning, but now I really LIKE W8). Well, things change, and some things just be left behind (XP). Just literally poke around with your finger on the screen, play with swiping from the edges of the screen (left, right, top, bottom), two finger pinch, expand, etc.

In Windows 8.1, Microsoft gave us a "Help + Tips" app. I HIGHLY recommend going through and read the tips and watch the little videos for first time users.
    Exactly, Windows XP to Windows 8 is a big step up. Like going from DOS to Windows 98.
    05-29-2014 04:40 PM
    i have transitioned from XP on older tablets to a surface pro with windows 8.

compatibility
    =============================
    you can run most applications by going through -> properties
    and setting it to XP (service pack 2,3)

you should also make them adminstrator to work correctly

=============================================
    i am running Office 2007, but yes you can run office 2003

i am running older applications:
    ======================
    sound forge 6. 0 for editting
    mixmeister 3.0 for mixing

paint shop pro 5 for graphics, picture

winamp 2.0 for playing back music

all my original programs still work.

photoshop and premiere CS - video and pictures

i have no issues with older files.

newer upgrades
    ============================
    you probably need to update

- adobe flash, acrobat (older versions aren't secure)

- browser, i use chrome

- media player like VLC, i don't use the windows media
    player, because it doesn't support newer formats

- anything that uses video or audio, or audio ripping
    (although i use an older version of Nero)

everything else that i usually use, is fine:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    notepad
    calculator

THE MAIN THING IS, I USE BOOT TO DESKTOP.
    that way i never have to see metro, or any modern apps, because i don't use any of those,
    except 1 music application.

good luck.

later
    05-29-2014 05:33 PM
    @NMCynthia
    Your two threads have been merged.

Disregard the recommendation to install a VM so as to run Windows XP on the Surface. That solves a problem you don't have and introduces complexity you don't need.

Realize that the OS (operating system = Windows XP or Windows 8) isn't directly responsible for what types of document files you can work with. What does matter are the programs you have installed. Assuming we are talking only about Microsoft Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc), then what you want is software that can work with those files. The typical choices for such files are:

• Microsoft Office
    • OpenOffice

These are your options:

• You can download OpenOffice from the internet for free. With it you can work with Word, Excel and PowerPoint files created with any version of the MS Office Suite.
    • Since you already own a copy of Microsoft Office, you could also choose to install that older version of the Office Suite on your new Surface. That won't cost you anything either and IMHO even older versions of Microsoft's Office are better than OpenOffice. If you don't want to spend money on software, this is what I'd recommend.
    • However, if you use Outlook on the Desktop, I would recommend upgrading to the current version of the Office Suite, Microsoft Office 2013. The newest Office Suite can work with any Microsoft Office document, no matter what version of the Suite it was originally created with.

Just remember you are making a jump from XP to Windows 8. That represents 14 years of OS advancement. That is a HUGE amount of time in the software business, so seek out some tutorial videos to get up to speed, or better yet, ask here and we'll help out ;-)
    jmshub, neo158, Beijendorf and 2 others like this.
    05-29-2014 06:27 PM
    The operating system and office are two separate things, I am guessing you are confusing the issue between .doc and .docx, the latter being the newer format used by the new versions of Word. The same applies to excel and powerpoint, what you need to do is install the "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats", If you have issues opening old office (office xp / office 2003) files in the new versions of office (office 2007+)
    Download Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats from Official Microsoft Download Center

Also like some have suggested you can install office 2003 on the Surface Pro 3, however it is best to get used to the new versions of office as that what is most companies will be using. Trust me when I tell you the new versions will make you feel like like a novice but you will get the hang of it.

Furthermore you may want to take a look at office 365:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/pr...10_XT104187042
    05-29-2014 08:22 PM
    The surface pro 3 runs on Windows 8.1 which will happily pair with windows xp for the purposes of file sharing etc. :)
    And if you REALLY can't open a file, you can always install windows XP in a virtual machine.
    05-30-2014 12:00 PM
29 12