What would happen if Apple released a Surface Pro 3?

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
It would be a hit and apple will be lauded by some for "innovating" and criticized by others for copying. Not that different now with what they're doing, just look at the latest features of iOS and the notification center.

I agree with WillysJeepMan, Jobs created marketshare and demand, now they seem to be playing it safe. They keep promising that great products are in the pipelines.

I like apple it does have great products, but I also look for a product that best fits my need and not what logo is on the back :)

Why ruin a great product when it isn't needed?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
another billion dollar write down for anyone trying to sell something similar without the Apple on the back?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
1. It's the most innovative product ever. True genius
2. The media would tell you to go out and sell your Macbook and iPad so that you could upgrade to this. You only need one device
3. lololol MS Losers
4. Look at me take notes. I'm so much more freaking creative than any of you lowly peasants
5. 10,000+ compatible accessories will be launched by many companies at launch
6. lololol Google Losers
7. 2 million apps will be produced within the next 12 months
8. Duh! This was such an obvious idea. But only Apple was brave enough to try.
9. If I buy this, I might get laid
10. I liked Surface before it was cool

If apple released the SP3
1. Lines would wrap around cities, some would get to buy...others just hoping for a glimpse
2. The keyboard is great, and Apple has given consumers the option to buy it separately rather than packaging it. Thats the beauty of Surface, if you dont want the kb, it will perform superbly with its beautiful screen.
3. You can hold it up for hours reading books
4. While microsoft will be chasing the 8 inch market, apple has once again rewriting history in another category.
5. The Verge: The lapabilty is amazing.

LAWL
My day has just been made.
Funniest posts I've seen on WPC.

Anyways, I agree that there would be a super positive reaction from iZombies as well as an average consumer. I think the average consumer would want a fruity surface more because apple actually knows how to market and Microsoft just made, in my opinion, the first good commercial for the surface pro 3.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, the thing that differentiates Apple from anyone else is its app eco-system. Their hardware may have been extraordinary at one point, but that is no longer the case. I'd argue that the Surface hardware is as good or perhaps even better than what Apple has at the moment - this applies not only to their iPad, but also to their phones. The same is the case with Apple computers. About the OS, I am not sure as I have not used anything aside from iOS. But having used that, I think that in comparative terms, it is also nothing to write home about. In fact, I'd argue that KitKat - on a Nexus 10 (which I have used extensively) and a newer Samsung Galaxy Tab (which I have not used) - is probably a better experience. Win 8.1 is yet to mature into a solid OS. By this I mean that if we leave the desktop experience aside (which is similar to Win 7), the Modern UI still has some quirks, but it will mature and it will take time. I expect (or, hope) this happens with Win 9. But will that make the MS platform a "hit"? Unlikely! Why? Because MS carries too much baggage (legacy issues, spread and diversity of market, loss of focus in recent years etc.). Again, MS will need to reinvent itself and it will not be a revolutionary exercise; rather, it will evolutionary.

Apple, of course, has a bigger problem, in my opinion. The strategic question for Apple is this: Where will they go in the next 5 years? Their app strength lies with outsiders - namely developers who admittedly, are committed to the eco-system. But the fact remains that these developers are mercenaries. They will go to the best paying platform. In terms of hardware, what precisely is Apple's future? In the enterprise segment (aside from iPads) very little. Their products have very high TCOs (again there are some industries that are exception). As I see it, while tactically, Apple still have a number of moves that can increase their bank balance (and, consequently, their stock price), in strategic terms, they have a huge problem. This is where Steve Jobs was so important - his foresight (such as it was) and his charisma went a long way to create strategic markets, but he is no longer around and going by the recent moves made by Apple, the current management is not looking vey promising.

Note: Goes without saying that all of the above is simply my opinion and, as such, could be totally off-base.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have been wondering why Microsoft released the SP3 when they did. It didn't make sense with respect to the SP2, or the projection of the availability of the new Broadwell chip. But it was about a 1/2 generation before Apple debuts new hardware. There are persistent rumors of a 12" Macbook Air and a larger screen (than iPad Air) iPad Pro. I think that there is a good possibility of both these devices being released this Fall. If so, then it will show that Apple is looking to continue to produce no-compromise ultrabooks and tablets rather than hybrids.

Having just traded in my Surface 2 for a new 11.6" Macbook Air, I'm back to having the netbook experience I need as well as the tablet (via my iPad 4) in a very portable package.

In this post-Jobs Apple, it is difficult to say whether or not Apple will continue to deliver. But I must say that the MBA is pretty excellent and Microsoft will have a difficult time going toe-to-toe with Apple if they're going to continue down the hybrid path.

I can see Microsoft adjusting the Surface to be more ultrabook than tablet. They could modify the way that the keyboard cover attaches to the Surface... a physical mechanism similar to the ones used in hybrids by Asus and Acer. And they can include the TypeCover in with the Surface itself for the current base price.

Those two additions would help the Surface make inroads with road warriors and others looking for a premium ultra portable ultrabook experience. That could buy them time for the app store to grow.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been wondering why Microsoft released the SP3 when they did. It didn't make sense with respect to the SP2, or the projection of the availability of the new Broadwell chip. But it was about a 1/2 generation before Apple debuts new hardware. There are persistent rumors of a 12" Macbook Air and a larger screen (than iPad Air) iPad Pro. I think that there is a good possibility of both these devices being released this Fall. If so, then it will show that Apple is looking to continue to produce no-compromise ultrabooks and tablets rather than hybrids.

Having just traded in my Surface 2 for a new 11.6" Macbook Air, I'm back to having the netbook experience I need as well as the tablet (via my iPad 4) in a very portable package.

In this post-Jobs Apple, it is difficult to say whether or not Apple will continue to deliver. But I must say that the MBA is pretty excellent and Microsoft will have a difficult time going toe-to-toe with Apple if they're going to continue down the hybrid path.

I can see Microsoft adjusting the Surface to be more ultrabook than tablet. They could modify the way that the keyboard cover attaches to the Surface... a physical mechanism similar to the ones used in hybrids by Asus and Acer. And they can include the TypeCover in with the Surface itself for the current base price.

Those two additions would help the Surface make inroads with road warriors and others looking for a premium ultra portable ultrabook experience. That could buy them time for the app store to grow.

The way I see it, I don't think MS can make anything other than a reference design ultrabook. If they do, we can sure that it will be an excellent device - in terms of hardware. Obviously, the OS will be what it is. But the problem for MS is that they would be cannibalizing the market of their OEMs, which is something that MS cannot risk in the short to medium term.

As for the larger iPad is concerned - I have also been reading reports of such speculations. My impression is that they will hesitate to release such a device even though it will allow for split screen capabilities (as long as the OS is tweaked). But would that make the iPad a better device than what it is today? Unlikely - unless they also include an active digitiser (knowing fully well how well their passive digitiser functions currently work).

As I mentioned earlier, despite all of this, it is difficult (at least for me) to see what kind of innovation Apple can bring to the tablet going forward. Their strategic advantage lies in something that they don't make in-house - applications over which, aside from their store policies, they have no control over. Notice also that MS is gradually developing a secondary line of attack - software and services, which they are positioning in platform-agnostic terms. Which leaves the following question unanswered - Is Apple's future going to be that of the manufacturer of devices that run software and services that others provide?

In this connection also take into account Apple's recent acquisition of Beats. Clearly, they are looking to boost their holdings of content. But again the question is - who is going to access that content? Is the content going to be available across platforms layered on an efficiently designed software platform? If iTunes is any indication, clearly, Apple needs a better alternative.

erMonas

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
As far as the price of software, that is going to depend on what you want to do with either machine. Office is an extra expense on either.

You're forgetting that Apple allows you to download iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) for free with every new Mac. You could argue that iWork is not a full fledged Office replacement, but as far as a regular consumer is concerned, they are both the same thing, and work in the same way...

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
You're forgetting that Apple allows you to download iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) for free with every new Mac. You could argue that iWork is not a full fledged Office replacement, but as far as a regular consumer is concerned, they are both the same thing, and work in the same way...
I'm talking in the sense of getting work done. iWork might work for truly personal use, but even when you get into education Office is mostly standard. In the corporate world, it's not even a question.

Luckily, Office is pretty cheap for college students. My girlfriend's sister is going to school in the Fall. When we looked at how much she would have to pay for Office, it was $19.50. Pretty awesome.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
iPad Pro? Just another oversized iPhone. I don't see the advantage.
Lets face it the hardware has gotten much more advanced then the OS though what else is new....

I remember when the first rumors of the first iPad were circulating on the net. I saw images of a tablet running OSX. Well we all
know what was actually released, just an over sized iPhone, which I was totally disappointed. For me I would have rather have seen a tablet running a touch based version of OSX. I guess what this meant to me is how hard it must be to convert a OS to a touch based OS and the cost. Lastly the demand for such a device..

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
iPad Pro? Just another oversized iPhone. I don't see the advantage.
Lets face it the hardware has gotten much more advanced then the OS though what else is new....

I remember when the first rumors of the first iPad were circulating on the net. I saw images of a tablet running OSX. Well we all
know what was actually released, just an over sized iPhone, which I was totally disappointed.
iPad is just an oversized iPhone? Did I just step into a time machine and go back to 2010? What's next, "iPad? iPad?! what kind of name is THAT?! Sounds like a feminine hygiene product"?

Granted, for many people the things that people use the iPad for can be done on an iPhone. But for others, the iPad offers a platform that is not limited to media consumption but content creation as well.

What professional software is available for Windows tablets that rivals Boss Jock Studio for the iPad (for podcast recording/production)? Since the iPad is just an oversized iPhone you should have no difficulty finding them. Will your response be, "well, that's an exception case"?

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
iPad is just an oversized iPhone? Did I just step into a time machine and go back to 2010? What's next, "iPad? iPad?! what kind of name is THAT?! Sounds like a feminine hygiene product"?

Granted, for many people the things that people use the iPad for can be done on an iPhone. But for others, the iPad offers a platform that is not limited to media consumption but content creation as well.

What professional software is available for Windows tablets that rivals Boss Jock Studio for the iPad (for podcast recording/production)? Since the iPad is just an oversized iPhone you should have no difficulty finding them. Will your response be, "well, that's an exception case"?

Boss jock studio is also available on the iphone... You are only helping his argument.

I also don't understand why you are asking about apps on a windows tablet when the statement was that an iPad is an oversized iPhone. Me thinks you don't quite understand the argument.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Boss jock studio is also available on the iphone... You are only helping his argument.

I also don't understand why you are asking about apps on a windows tablet when the statement was that an iPad is an oversized iPhone. Me thinks you don't quite understand the argument.
I understand his point. It was to dismiss the usefulness of a tablet running a touch OS. My reference to Windows tablet apps was a comparative... to show by comparison that Windows tablets are further behind in "usefulness" than something that is an oversized iPhone.

The fact that BJS is also available on the iPhone on the surface appears to help his argument, but the fact that iOS allows apps to dynamically scale to different screen sizes once again shows that iOS is better suited for touch devices.

In the context of the SP3 which Microsoft claims can replace both my tablet and my notebook, this is significant.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I am a photographer who runs PhotoShop CC, Light room and Capture one. Try running any of these on a iPad not... and will probably never be the case. IPad Air, 1GB ram. Lets also compare price, iPad Air with 128GB storage 799.00 SP3 i5, 8GB RAM 256GB storage 1299.00. Yeah the SP3 is $500.00 more but I can get the job done.

Try running them on a SP3, guess what it works, is it perfect not yet, though with the SP3 its getting better.

On my desktop I run a Mac Pro, so by no means am I an Windows Fan Boy. I just use the best tools for what I need.
When I. Want to shoot tethered in the field, the SP3 is really quite nice.

I was a long time iPad user for content consumption, then when the iPad Air came out I purchased one, awesome tablet, yet after returning it and 2 replacements from the apple store because of frequent crashes in Safari, It turns out that IOS7 was the issue, it took 4 months for apple to fix the issue.

So what am I using now for contempt consumption is a Nokia Lumina 2520 which I have had since it came out, works great. Is it an iPad nope, but for my needs for a inexpensive tablet it great. Web, email, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix etc. All good. I am not a gamer if I was then I would get an iPad.

I rest my case

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
The kickstand is revolutionary-- im telling you these bloggers and tech reviewers would be praising it. Majority of them are mac users. its sad really.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett