why is buying a separate keyboard a big deal?

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a big deal because it's marketed as a laptop replacement. For this price it should really have the keyboard included AT LEAST with i7 models.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If your going to target laptops then using an excuse such as the 'retailers don't stock all covers' or 'we did it with the surface when it first came out and people wanted choice' are both lame excuses not to, at he very least, include a basic one. Then its left to us to go and buy a better one if we want to OR....

Include a type cover with ALL surface and just have a snap on coloured shell, that would give it rigidity and options to personalise.

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add my two cents. I think that it is very interesting that the ipad has keyboards that cost an additional $100+ and no one seems to complain. People who don't need the keyboards continue to type on the screen and those that need the keyboards - buy them. They never seem to hold Apple over the barrel for not including the keyboard with the unit.

In my class, there were many people using ipads with the keyboards. Those keyboards did not integrate as well into the system as the surface keyboard does.

I hear what people are saying but it's not like the Surface Pro 3 is any less usable than an ipad without the keyboard - if anything - it's more usable. You have the pen at no additional charge (and I have spent money on various pens on my ipad ranging from 30 to 100 dollars) - none of which are better than the Wacom pen on my Surface Pro 1 (not getting into N-TRIG here because I have no played with it).

It's strange that reviewers seem to bash the Surface Pro 3 because the keyboard is optional. It's not really optional if you need it - just budget for it and pretend they bundled it in at the same price. That is what they would end up doing - shaving 10 bucks off and putting it into a bundle. At least this way - we can pick our own colors and personalize.

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Is it because an i5 is not a laptop replacement? Or an i3? Or an Atom? It all depends on what type of power people need to do their work. It's not like you couldn't do real work on a phone - should it come bundled with a keyboard?

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the car analogy is a very good one. When you buy a Ford Focus or Chevy Cruze you are buying inexpensive transportation. When you buy a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air (and that's what Satya Nadella was comparing the Surface Pro 3 with) at $900+ dollars you don't expect to be missing a key component - the Keyboard - it turns people off. The lowest practical price for the Surface Pro 3 is $929 and comparable MacBook Air is $899 - for a 1368x768 screen @ 11.6", core i5, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM @ 2.38 lbs. I didn't start this comparison, the CEO of MS did.

Conversely, people should go into the Apple Store after watching Nadella and ask for the Air with the same resolution screen, touch input and a pen solution. See how that works out?

This whole thread is strange to me....

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
This whole thread is strange to me....

In a nutshell, the people complaining feel that if Microsoft is claiming it is a laptop replacement, then it HAS to come with a keyboard.

My feeling is that Microsoft is TRYING to change the game here...my video above is a joke, but really, how far off will it be when we are satisfied with an onscreen keyboard only...or no keyboard input??

How many people here buy at least one accessory (keyboard, cover, mouse, headphones, etc.) for their phone, tablet, laptop, PC when one is already included?

I can really see both sides, but it is purely a marketing decision. If they didn't offer ANY keyboard at all, you folks might have an argument, but there is one. Whether or not they choose to include it is nothing more than a marketing decision. You can choose to feel cheated and not buy it or simply add that cost into your decision making process and buy it.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
In a few months when the docking station goes up for sale for SP3, and you see it in a commercial, will it be required at that point that MS throw in the docking station for free since it will then be advertised as a desk top replacement.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I could say same about a car..steering wheel, accelerator pedal..brake pedal...jeez these consumers want soo much for free!! :shocked:

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
To sum things up:

1) Some people think Microsoft is pushing the SP3 as a replacement without including the keyboard.

- there are no plans to bundle it due to complexity
- they would pay for it anyways, since they are buying a premium product

2) Some people have no desire or need for the touch or type keyboards, and will buy their own

- there are plenty of replacements, cheaper and more options

In the end, it's easy to buy another USB keyboard or wireless keyboard, and since the keyboard
is essential for doing real work.

bottom line
================================================================
It's not really going to be a big deterrent, and any reviewers or people complaining about it
seem to not acknowledge there are plenty of options for customers.

later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster