Surface pro 3 price fix

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So I'm thinking to myself about the whole price issue everyone is having with the surface keyboard being optional although you need it for it to actually function as a laptop. Microsoft reasoning for this is by doing so they can keep the surface price down and also give people the ability to choose the keyboard color and style of their choice. Well if that's the case why isn't the pen optional? Why not cut the cost of the pen? I think having people pay separately for something that is part of the laptop functionality wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to pay for something that isn't part of the functionality (the pen). What are your thoughts on this?

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So I'm thinking to myself about the whole price issue everyone is having with the surface keyboard being optional although you need it for it to actually function as a laptop. Microsoft reasoning for this is by doing so they can keep the surface price down and also give people the ability to choose the keyboard color and style of their choice. Well if that's the case why isn't the pen optional? Why not cut the cost of the pen? I think having people pay separately for something that is part of the laptop functionality wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to pay for something that isn't part of the functionality (the pen). What are your thoughts on this?

I don't think the surface keyboard is costing them 130$. More like 20$?. Probably best buy is demanding that they want it this way so that they can make money selling these accessories. IPad has s so many accessories for the shops to make money esp covers. Surface don't need cover accessory

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The Surface Pro' line came with the pen before as well. The only thing I can figure is they package the SP3 the best they can to maximize their benefits (whatever those benefits are).

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the surface keyboard is costing them 130$. More like 20$?

Whilst the BoM could be that value, how much is the R&D and cost of distribution of said items? This is something people forget to factor into the 'raw' cost of materials.

Microsoft has one of the biggest R&D budgets of any big 'IT' companies. They also use high quality materials and don't cut corners. All this adds up with QC at the assembly line.

If you can make and distribute the keyboard for 20$ feel free to do so, you'll be raking in the money from Surface owners. ;)

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the surface keyboard is costing them 130$. More like 20$?. Probably best buy is demanding that they want it this way so that they can make money selling these accessories. IPad has s so many accessories for the shops to make money esp covers. Surface don't need cover accessory
Doesn't the keyboard also have a ton of sensors and built in battery? That's pretty costly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05