Surface Pro 3 with a Helix Keyboard

androsooner

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty excited about the Surface Pro 3, however, I doubt I will purchase one simply because of the Type Cover keyboard. I would be much more interested in a Surface Pro 3 with a Helix style keyboard. It wouldn't bother me if the keyboard was a little more clunky than a Type Cover as long as the typing experience and touchpad was good. I would also like to be able to have more of a "laptop" experience where the keyboard was just a bit heavier and locked the screen into place without using the kickstand.

When I need to get some work done it would be more like a laptop and when I was just surfing the web I could kick back with just the tablet. I don't mind sacrificing an extra pound of weight to get this functionality.

I would have went ahead and got the Helix but, (as far as I know) they never released a Haswell version.

I would like to get everyone's thoughts on this. Would you be more interested in the SP3 if Microsoft offered a second keyboard that was more of a "pro" version (even if it added some bulk)????

Last edited:

androsooner

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface Pro 3 with a Helix Display

Oops I meant for the title of the thread to be "Surface Pro 3 with a Helix Keyboard". If someone knows how I can edit the title, please let me know.

Thanks

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Have you actually used the Type Cover 2 (or the upcoming SP3 version)? it's a pretty great keyboard. Backlit. Light keys with good rebound. Nearly full-sized keys.

I type all my essay and reports on the thing for hours. It's not as good as my desktop keyboard. But it's by no means a bad keyboard. And i think the Thinkpad keyboards are going down in quality since Lenovo has made some dramatic changes to them (the latest one is not good).

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

And i think the Thinkpad keyboards are going down in quality since Lenovo has made some dramatic changes to them (the latest one is not good).
I don't know if it's down in quality (i.e., mechanical function) or if it's more up in weirdness. For example, for the new X1 Carbon, decided to replace the Caps Lock key with two keys for Home and End. (The caps lock function is now accessed by double-pressing Shift, like it is on a smartphone.) Too weird for me.

Berryal202869

May 17, 2014
Visit site

I actually really like the Type Cover 2, apart from the horrible trackpad... aside from that it's a lovely keyboard. I got used to it very quickly and now i could type on here for hours :)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

I actually really like the Type Cover 2, apart from the horrible trackpad... aside from that it's a lovely keyboard. I got used to it very quickly and now i could type on here for hours :)
Same here.

But I have no confidence that Microsoft has corrected the issues with the trackpad. The trackpad was bad with the original TypeCover. But it had actual buttons. The TypeCover2's trackpad had touch sensitive areas instead of buttons... which makes absolutely zero sense for a keyboard with actual keys. Panos talked about all of the improvements made to the TypeCover2 last Sept. But this time he simply said that he heard the complaints about the trackpad and have addressed them.

I need to test out a TypeCoverPro3 in person before I make my final evaluation on it. I'm disappointed that a $130 keyboard cover has such an unusable trackpad.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

Oops I meant for the title of the thread to be "Surface Pro 3 with a Helix Keyboard". If someone knows how I can edit the title, please let me know.

Thanks

Edit your original post, then go to Advanced Edit. There should be an option to change the title there.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

yeah, the trackpad on the type cover 2 is horrible.

but I missed the instructions for how to do left and right clicks with the pad which helped out a little bit. to left click, 1-finger tap anywhere on the pad. to right-click, 2-finger tap anywhere on the pad.

when I first used the touchpad, i tried to tap the bottom of the touchpad area (left side for left click, right side for right click) which was so tedious and unpredictable.

I've given up on using the touchpad. I use the screen for 90% of things and a wireless mouse for the remaining 10%.

androsooner

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
My main issue with the Type Cover isn't really the keyboard itself, it's that the "lapability" doesn't look like it will be very good since you have to use the kickstand, which looks like it would dig into your legs after long periods of use.

My main point for this thread is that it would be nice to have multiple keyboard options aimed at different groups of users.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My issue with the Type Cover is both "lapability" as well as usage. I've used the Type Cover 2 and I really wasn't a fan, so I'm looking forward to trying the Type Cover 3.

I may just end up getting the SP3 and a portable slim/mini keyboard. I'd very much prefer not to go that route though.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
My main issue with the Type Cover isn't really the keyboard itself, it's that the "lapability" doesn't look like it will be very good since you have to use the kickstand, which looks like it would dig into your legs after long periods of use.
the kickstand digging into your legs is one issue. The other is that a person's lap may not be long enough to use it because of the distance from the extended kickstand to the nearest edge of the keyboard. The greater the angle, the greater the distance. I can see that it could be pretty cramped having the keyboard right up against one's stomach.

My main point for this thread is that it would be nice to have multiple keyboard options aimed at different groups of users.

I agree. I can see Microsoft producing a Surface Pro 4 that includes a latching mechanism to offer a higher quality keyboard that won't require the kickstand.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Must use native click in locking for keyboard access with added stability to distribute the weight so kick stand is not needed when the keyboard is attached. If someone can build that for under $100 then SP3 will kill everything out there more than it does now.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That's the best you could come up with?! some over-sized keyboard cover with dorky elastic corners? That's not the type of thing we're talking about.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's the best you could come up with?! some over-sized keyboard cover with dorky elastic corners? That's not the type of thing we're talking about.

what kind of keyboard are you talking about then?

it's USB or bluetooth, it's cheaper, and it works just as well.

what's the real difference?

what exactly are you waiting for, there are plenty of solutions that work right now,
as opposed to a non-existent one.

later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss