Surface Pro 3 64GB version

jmaga3080

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I guys, I'm thinking of buying the 64GB version (Core i3), because I'm on a budget. I don't use editing programs, and about storage, later I can trow in a 128GB micro SD card. Do you think It could be a good buy for me?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I guys, I'm thinking of buying the 64GB version (Core i3), because I'm on a budget. I don't use editing programs, and about storage, later I can trow in a 128GB micro SD card. Do you think It could be a good buy for me?
What are "editing programs"?

Keep in mind that applications can't be installed on the SD card. But you'll need to do a bit of research on that because at different times, with different versions of Windows, on different Surface devices that capability appeared then disappeared. On the surface (pun intended) it seems like buying the 64GB model won't have the longevity as the higher capacity models.

I think the questions that you need to ask yourself are:

- How do I intend to use this device?

- Why do I want one?

- Will the Surface Pro 3 serve my purposes better than an 12" netbook? If it does, is it worth the premium over the netbook?

I'm not on a budget. I could easily buy the top of the line SP3. But I don't see the value in it for me... at least at this time.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind that the Core i3 version won't be released until 8/31/2014 or after. You have plenty of time to ponder. :)

jmaga3080

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
When I said "editing programs", I meant Photoshop, Premiere, etc. And all of you made a good point. By the way, here in my country, all the versions will only be available in 8/31/2014, so, yeah, I have plenty of time to think hehe. About storage, well, 64Gb (37Gb actually) is more than I need to install Store apps; music, videos and desktop programs, I can use a micro sd card for that. But I will think what tablet/pc can suit better my needs, thank you all for your help :)

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
apps can't, but programs can be, for desktop programs this could be really useful.

even if you install desktop programs on the flash storage, some components will still install on drive C: go ahead and install Adobe Creative Suite or any major program or suite on Drive D:. you'll still see plenty installed on drive C:

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm contemplating the i3 version too due to budget. Main use is for some web development work on the go. I'm more concerned with the cpu since most of my work will still be on the main desktop, I won't need that much space. I wonder how it copes with a local web server, Photoshop, text editor, and a couple of browsers. For the form factor, resolution (at least full HD), and price, I can't find anything that really compares with the Surface Pro 3.

mikeakanice

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'll be honest with you guys. At this price, you're getting hustled with an I3. I'd save your money for the next surface pro or a laptop of some sort. Maybe even the mac air.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest with you guys. At this price, you're getting hustled with an I3. I'd save your money for the next surface pro or a laptop of some sort. Maybe even the mac air.

Wasn't this same sentence repeated with the first Surface Pro? 'At this price, wait until Haswell processors come out. They'll have better battery life.' Well Haswell appeared on the Surface Pro 2, and now we have the next iteration of that. Even with the i3 the price is still fine in my opinion.

Add a touchscreen AND digitizer for the pen to any laptop or Mac Air you bring out, then it's more than the Surface Pro 3.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't this same sentence repeated with the first Surface Pro? 'At this price, wait until Haswell processors come out. They'll have better battery life.' Well Haswell appeared on the Surface Pro 2, and now we have the next iteration of that. Even with the i3 the price is still fine in my opinion.

Add a touchscreen AND digitizer for the pen to any laptop or Mac Air you bring out, then it's more than the Surface Pro 3.

Agree. Many are forgetting that the mac air's resolution is only 1366x768 or 1440x900. Pretty low these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo