Deciding between a SP3 or a Retina MacBook.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, right now I'm really wondering which of these I should save up for. Right now I do own a iPhone 5S,a Ipad4 and a Apple TV. But I also have a desktop PC (family computer) that I use. I've honestly never used AAC outside some classes in college, so maybe I'm a bit of a clean slate on which direction (Windows or Mac) to go.

As far as a laptop goes , I'm deciding between either the i5 256gb 8gb RAM surface pro 3 or the equivalently speced MacBook Pro with Retina.

Here's what I think my uses will be: I want to take it to classes for note taking, to type up papers if needed and assignments, do activity a that are better with a keyboard, use it to maybe get more productive and organized, maybe light gaming, web consumption, email, video watching like YouTube or web site videos. Things like that. I don't work in business so I don't really need it for presentations or anything.

Thing about the surface is honestly I see myself using it as primarily a laptop. Tablet maybe if I'm on the couch, but I honestly think it's to bulky for tablet use and I don't think the software apps are really there yet compared to the iPad I own.

The MacBook because, we'll , I do already own three other Apple devices. But I don't want to feel I HAVE to buy it if something different will suite me better.

Anyway, that my situation . Any thoughts?

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
So, right now I'm really wondering which of these I should save up for. Right now I do own a iPhone 5S,a Ipad4 and a Apple TV. But I also have a desktop PC (family computer) that I use. I've honestly never used AAC outside some classes in college, so maybe I'm a bit of a clean slate on which direction (Windows or Mac) to go.

As far as a laptop goes , I'm deciding between either the i5 256gb 8gb RAM surface pro 3 or the equivalently speced MacBook Pro with Retina.

Here's what I think my uses will be: I want to take it to classes for note taking, to type up papers if needed and assignments, do activity a that are better with a keyboard, use it to maybe get more productive and organized, maybe light gaming, web consumption, email, video watching like YouTube or web site videos. Things like that. I don't work in business so I don't really need it for presentations or anything.

Thing about the surface is honestly I see myself using it as primarily a laptop. Tablet maybe if I'm on the couch, but I honestly think it's to bulky for tablet use and I don't think the software apps are really there yet compared to the iPad I own.

The MacBook because, we'll , I do already own three other Apple devices. But I don't want to feel I HAVE to buy it if something different will suite me better.

Anyway, that my situation . Any thoughts?

Considering that your entire ecosystem is Apple and in view of the upgrades announced recently at WWDC, you will have a much better time with the Retina Mac, especially as you say your usage will be a lot of typing and 'traditional' laptop work.

I have the first-gen Retina MBP and I love it. The new 13" Retina is supposed to be even better.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I would encourage you to find a Microsoft Store or BestBuy and try an SP3, particularly using the pen with One Note. One note is perfect for note-taking in classes. Also, the pen is pretty nice. In my college days, the inability to draw diagrams, etc. was what kept me from using my laptop to take notes in class, so that feature would have been extremely valuable to me.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend to get an iPad Mini Retina & Macbook Air 13". The right devices for the right use cases. They will hardly take up that much space either.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd recommend to get an iPad Mini Retina & Macbook Air 13". The right devices for the right use cases. They will hardly take up that much space either.

That's one way I'm kinda leaning towards. I still like to have a desktop PC for gaming I think.

I'm looking at the surface pro 3 and it's maybe out of my price range for what I'll use it for. Not saying it isn't worth the price, but it's really steep for me.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I like SPs but to be honest, SPs cannot type on the lap. If typing is not required, simple email that can response with only one hand on screen keyboard, then SP is yours. But I always have my brief case on my lap even with a laptop, so, you can try this too.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was going to recommend the SP3, because I have already decided to get one myself to replace my 7 year old Dell, but the more I look at your useage scenarios the more I think you already have most of what you need.

It strikes me that for work, the iPad 4 has all the capability you want, all you have to do is add a decent Bluetooth keyboard, One note and an Office 365 subscription. Voila! You have a neat little solution which will allow you to take freehand notes and type more formal documents when needed. You can then spend the money on a horizon-expanding trip somewhere exotic.

nalle76

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Get the MacBook, it suites well with your other apl devices. Then install Windows via Boot camp for gaming&pc-only software.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
lol, I'm in the opposite situation, I have a rMBP and I have an SP3 on order. I'm still in the vetting process to determine if the SP3 is a better fit for my needs.

Here's some thoughts from a dedicated mac user
1. MS Office for windows is much better then Office for the Mac, features, performance and user interface. I never understood why but in Word and Excel all the text is too small. I have to zoom in 150% to make it look decent. On PCs (not just the SP3) no zooming is needed. Odd but it is the truth.

Mobility, you're going to have a tablet with laptop performance and ability and a type cover that's going to beat out the laptop - another win for the SP3.

If you're fully enveloped in the Apple ecosystem, you may want to think hard about switching platforms, going all in on Apple has advantages that cannot be easily duplicated with a mixed environment. Consider Yosemite, and iOS8 with Continuity and hand off, you get work on your iPad and virally swipe your document to the laptop (if I'm understanding the technology correctly.)

All in all, the SP3 gives you the same power/performance in a smaller form factor. While I like my Macs, I think software wise for note taking and documents SP3 is better.

Since the SP3 is out in the Microsoft stores, if you have one close by, check it out in person, that will help with your decision making process.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
lol, I'm in the opposite situation, I have a rMBP and I have an SP3 on order. I'm still in the vetting process to determine if the SP3 is a better fit for my needs.

Here's some thoughts from a dedicated mac user
1. MS Office for windows is much better then Office for the Mac, features, performance and user interface. I never understood why but in Word and Excel all the text is too small. I have to zoom in 150% to make it look decent. On PCs (not just the SP3) no zooming is needed. Odd but it is the truth.

Mobility, you're going to have a tablet with laptop performance and ability and a type cover that's going to beat out the laptop - another win for the SP3.

If you're fully enveloped in the Apple ecosystem, you may want to think hard about switching platforms, going all in on Apple has advantages that cannot be easily duplicated with a mixed environment. Consider Yosemite, and iOS8 with Continuity and hand off, you get work on your iPad and virally swipe your document to the laptop (if I'm understanding the technology correctly.)

All in all, the SP3 gives you the same power/performance in a smaller form factor. While I like my Macs, I think software wise for note taking and documents SP3 is better.

Since the SP3 is out in the Microsoft stores, if you have one close by, check it out in person, that will help with your decision making process.

Yeah, I think the nearest store is about 45 minutes away :/ I'll have to double check.

And yeah, there's advantages with going all apple for sure. Especially after WWDC when they showed off continuity.

But I still feel weird about it because I feel really locked in if I go that route. And it would probably make it hard to leave if I ever decided to. I figured with windows and Microsoft I had at least more hardware choices.

And honestly, I like windows phone 8.1, it's just I'm unsure if I can get past the app situation. Most of what I use is there though.

And like I said, I do find the SP3 compelling in its own way.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think the nearest store is about 45 minutes away :/ I'll have to double check.

And yeah, there's advantages with going all apple for sure. Especially after WWDC when they showed off continuity.

But I still feel weird about it because I feel really locked in if I go that route. And it would probably make it hard to leave if I ever decided to. I figured with windows and Microsoft I had at least more hardware choices.

And honestly, I like windows phone 8.1, it's just I'm unsure if I can get past the app situation. Most of what I use is there though.

And like I said, I do find the SP3 compelling in its own way.

I think for most people the SP3 will work great for them. I have the surface 2 and I love the heck out of it. Use it for work a great deal...and for leisure. You constantly hear about how it doesnt work in this or that scenario. Every product has it's compromises, including the Ipad and Macbooks....and the Surface Pro 3 looks like it is going to be THE BEST compromise out of everything out there. I hear a lot of reviewers seem to indicate that without the KB the Surface feels incomplete....that's ridiculous. Without the Kb, the Surface is everything an Ipad is....along with a great Browser that would negate the need for a great deal of apps on the ipad.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the Surface 3 will not sell a huge amount, but I'm going to be pretty happy with it. Now to figure what to do with my Surface 2.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I think for most people the SP3 will work great for them. I have the surface 2 and I love the heck out of it. Use it for work a great deal...and for leisure. You constantly hear about how it doesnt work in this or that scenario. Every product has it's compromises, including the Ipad and Macbooks....and the Surface Pro 3 looks like it is going to be THE BEST compromise out of everything out there. I hear a lot of reviewers seem to indicate that without the KB the Surface feels incomplete....that's ridiculous. Without the Kb, the Surface is everything an Ipad is....along with a great Browser that would negate the need for a great deal of apps on the ipad.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the Surface 3 will not sell a huge amount, but I'm going to be pretty happy with it. Now to figure what to do with my Surface 2.

Another thing is I think I'm swayed a bit much about popular opinion by reviewers or tech sites. For example, I could get the surface and like it a lot, but if the majority opinion is that it's no good, it makes me question my opinion. I realize this is a personal problem though.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
You need to figure out which platform better meets your must haves and wants. To be honest you can't go wrong with either

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You need to figure out which platform better meets your must haves and wants. To be honest you can't go wrong with either

As far as a desktop computer, windows fits my needs because of gaming. And if I do school work at home office 365 could be good.

As far as laptop, maybe MacBook? I don't know if I even need a latop, ha ha. Could just use a wireless keyboard on my iPad. Although I plan on my next tablet being a smaller form factor. Like the iPad mini. So a laptop is appealing because I can't see using a mini tablet with a keyboard being enjoyable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05