SP3 Start Button Issue

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've read and heard a few people complaining about the Windows / Start Button being an issue in Landscape mode that when resting your hand on the screen, it will kick you out of current program back to desktop. Some of the reviews have said that Microsoft is taking this issue very seriously, taking feedback from users and are looking into it. My question is, will they actually do some sort of cosmetic change by moving the Start Button elsewhere prior to the June 20, 2014 release or anytime after that? Or is this just all lip service on the part of MS?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Neither. They'll probably make a patch to let people disable the button when the SP3 is in landscape, or altogether. It's too late for a cosmetics change, but never too late to change the firmware.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't think actually moving the button would suffice anyway. I actually have this problem fairly regularly on my SP2, with the button at the bottom. I believe that a method for disabling it is probably the best solution no matter what.

LazyEvul

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
They might also be able to play around with palm rejection to disable the button when your palm is near that edge of the screen. Don't expect any hardware changes though, anything they do for this issue will definitely be a software fix at this point - too many units have been produced at this point to go back to the drawing board.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Of all the design aspects of the SP3, moving the start button is one that I MS missed on. Its a tough tablet to use in portrait mode and I think the majority of time it will be in landscape mode. Design for the rule, not the exception. In this case it seems they made design decisions around the exception.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I was at the MS store today and played with SP3. I didnt experience accidental Start Button when i was using the stylus in OneNote.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I was at the MS store today and played with SP3. I didnt experience accidental Start Button when i was using the stylus in OneNote.

Me too...played with it again specifically to practice with the pen. I think it just depends on how one writes/draws...I tend to write from the side and not "straight up." Home button was never an issue in portrait mode.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
They should make it a physical button rather than a sensor. It would solve the issue, but it may not be able to be as thin with it that way.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I read that MS is working on a software fix to disable the button when the pen/palm is near the button, as Penny Arcade had exactly this problem. So its gonna improve before release! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos