06-13-2014 06:38 PM
31 12
tools
    Hmm... so

Core-M would be a brand new category, and there will be NO successor to the Haswell-Y series CPUs ?

Core-M will be ~3x slower than the current Haswell-Y series ?

Core-M will get slower and slower as you use the machine because it doesn't have a fan ? In other words, it won't be able to run @ 4.5W for prolonged periods of time.

All of this doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess we will have to wait.. once anandtech gets their hands on a Asus 300 Chi we will know what the Core-M is capable of.

My take is that it will be just as fast the current Y series, with better GPU, and better thermal dynamics which gets rid of the fan. The current i3 performance is more than enough for me personally..

If its 3x slower that would bring it below Atom, which makes no sense because there is going to be a new Atom chip sometime next year..

06-12-2014 01:10 PM
    From what Intel showed the docks will have fans that will cool the device and allow for faster performance. So it's a true desktop when needed, an ultra book when not docked for normal use and a tablet when you don't need the keyboard. All I see is WIN!

If someone wants more of a PC all the time and weight is not a factor then the SP3 form factor is killer. My god it's all good news. Just think of the new toys we'll have by 2015 year end. There will be something for everyone. And honestly the whole weight thing will be a thing of the past.
    06-12-2014 05:23 PM
    For me the SP3 is good enough in terms weight/size already.. it can only get better..

And that's if Microsoft doesn't take the Core-M and get it clocked high enough to keep their "revolutionary fan".
    Even if they keep it, broadwell would make way less use of it..maybe only for "high performance", kind of like the docking stating they showed.

Maybe instead of shipping the i3 haswell in August/September, then can get the broadwell version out instead..
    06-12-2014 09:07 PM
    For me the SP3 is good enough in terms weight/size already.. it can only get better..

Even if they keep it, broadwell would make way less use of it..maybe only for "high performance", kind of like the docking stating they showed.

Maybe instead of shipping the i3 haswell in August/September, then can get the broadwell version out instead..
    The only thing the dock brings is active cooling, which is what the fan itself would bring. The dock doesn't really do anything else beyond that. I don't see why it wouldn't work with their special fan.
    06-13-2014 09:25 AM
    I'd like to see him actually use it. The tablets / 2in1s tend to sway/jiggle when you start poking at the screen with your finger(s), at least the ones I've tried. Would drive me nuts. That's what i like about the Surface, it doesn't jiggle!
    06-13-2014 05:27 PM
    there are a few occasions in life where

jiggle!
    is welcomed, 2in1s is certainly not one of them
    06-13-2014 06:38 PM
31 12