Google Apps/Gmail/Etc for Surface Tablets

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I just preordered the Surface Pro 3 today.

Currently, my company uses Google Apps for business. We have gmail accounts for email, as well as Google Drive for storage, and use Box.com and SFDC for our CRM needs.

Ultimately, the other area I am "concerned" with is gmail and calendar integration and migration.

I miss Outlook when we moved over to Google in 2010.

Can someone tell me, who uses a Surface 2, if it's easy to set up email and google calendar on this tablet? Do we need to jump through hoops to make this work? Particularly the email conversion, or is it as easy as just entering in your email address and password and everything migrates easily?

I think Google makes it very easy when you move to their devices, but making it as simple as that...enter User Name and password and it all works seamlessly.

I am the Sales Enablement director for our company and test all technology. This device is one that we are considering. We have iPads but looking for something more robust.

Quite frankly, my MacAir crapped out on me, as did my older iPad, so rather than invest in 2 devices, looking to see if this works as well.

While I'd like to have all the apps I have now, it's not mission critical.

Thanks

DrWMJ

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I am writing this on a Surface Pro 2, and I have a Pro 3 on preorder as well. I have my Gmail and Google calendar integrated into my computer; there are even multiple ways to do this. I have tried to keep it simple; my Gmail is one of the accounts in the Windows Mail program, and I have a subscription to the Google calendar that syncs with my Outlook. I get notifications in my live tiles for scheduled events, and these coordinate with all of my other devices and even my Windows phone.
The Surface Pro 3 is a full computer, and should be able to do everything you describe in your post. Hope that helps!

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I host my domain (email, multi-calendar, contacts) on Google Apps. I have no problems, whatsoever, with the built-in 8.1 email/calendar/people apps. Those apps would be exactly the same as what's installed on the Surface, so, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't use gDrive, so I have no insight, there. Worst case is that you're left with whatever desktop/web tool you use on Win7.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes this is a big help. Also do you need anti virus software for this like you would desktop or laptop? If so which do you use for Surface 2?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes this is a big help. Also do you need anti virus software for this like you would desktop or laptop? If so which do you use for Surface 2?

For clarification, The Surface 2 (non pro) is just a tablet and runs Windows RT and does not use anti-virus software. The Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2 and the Surface Pro 3 (what you ordered) are essentially full laptops and run full Windows 8.1. Windows Defender is included and will offer you protection against viruses and spyware. However, you may choose a different solution such as McAfee, Symantec, Trend Micro, or Kaspersky if you wish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss