Does the sp3 have handwriting recognition?

sropedia

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to find any confirmation on this. What I mean is in OneNote when you write with the pen in your handwriting does it attempt to turn that into actual type? Also, when you draw a shape (a sloppy circle for example) will it recognize it and turn it into a perfect circle automatically, somewhat akin to some Samsung smartphones? If anyone who has had hands on time with the device could answer this that would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my LG-D800

LazyEvul

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a keyboard function which allows you to turn your handwriting into actual type within any program, and having used it in the MS Store, I can say it works really rather well considering that my handwriting is very sloppy.

As far as OneNote goes, it doesn't modify your writing nor drawings in anyway, but I believe OneNote will attempt to recognize your writing in the background so that you can use the search function to find your handwritten notes in the future (someone may have to confirm this one for me, but I've heard this from others in the past).

I should also add that if you ask it to, OneNote can attempt to convert your handwritten notes into typed text - but it isn't something that's done on the fly, you'd have to do it after you've finishing taking your note.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to find any confirmation on this. What I mean is in OneNote when you write with the pen in your handwriting does it attempt to turn that into actual type? Also, when you draw a shape (a sloppy circle for example) will it recognize it and turn it into a perfect circle automatically, somewhat akin to some Samsung smartphones? If anyone who has had hands on time with the device could answer this that would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my LG-D800

I can't answer the question about circles but I doubt it. With respect to handwriting, all Surface tablets have the same basic handwriting translation routine that is part of Windows 8.1. It is quite good but not exceptional and quickly loses some accuracy if you write fast or have uneven pressure on the pen.

Having demo'd the Surface Pro 3 at the Scottsdale Microsoft Store and being an owner of Surface Pro 2, marketing lines aside, Surface Pro 2 is actually more accurate for me. I know people do not want to hear that but there was nothing exceptional about the Surface Pro 3 writing experience. I had three cervical vertebrae fused recently and am still getting back fine motor control. Where Surface Pro 2 did an acceptable job of translation, Surface Pro 3 was hit or miss, especially when I was writing too quickly for it. The higher polling rate of the Wacom pen kept pace more effectively. I expect it is probably something that will be fixed with a firmware update.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't the handwriting recognition improve over time?, as you write and correct the translation mistakes? Maybe that's why the store model seemed less accurate? I'll have to look more into that.

What i can say for sure is, i've been handwriting notes in OneNote for 6 years and across 3 OSs (XP, Vista, Win7) and at least 3 different devices with pen input (as well as iOS apps... but those don't really count). I've given up on handwriting recognition every time. I had a chance to play with an SP3 at Best Buy this weekend for about 20 minutes and was amazed how well it did... and i was purposefully trying to be sloppy in my handwriting. I'm not sure whether it's the pen/tablet/8.1/OneNote or what. Of course i hardly gave it a thorough test but i'm definitely excited

I'm a huge OneNote fan as are most of the people in my office (except one EverNote user with an iPad that we can't budge :wink:).

As far as OneNote being able to index handwriting that IS NOT converted to text, i've never heard of that and it sounds too good to be true. I do know OneNote will recognize and index text in pictures, imported pdfs, etc..., so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I remember the handwriting has been a part of Windows for a very long time (at least since 7 as far as my memory goes though I want to say Vista had it as well). Before Windows 8, you had to extensively train Windows to handle your handwriting. In 8/8.1, they almost basically hid the training. You can find it and you can still train it but it doesn't require as much training as 7 did. Out of the box, 8/8.1 is much more robust in handwriting recognition. It's a shame that the training isn't more visible in 8/8.1 though as training will improve recognition.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
...As far as OneNote being able to index handwriting that IS NOT converted to text, i've never heard of that and it sounds too good to be true. I do know OneNote will recognize and index text in pictures, imported pdfs, etc..., so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Not actually too good to be true. It may be a little hit and miss until it "learns" your writing but OneNote will absolutely search for and highlight whatever text you type into the search bar, whether written or typed.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Not actually too good to be true. It may be a little hit and miss until it "learns" your writing but OneNote will absolutely search for and highlight whatever text you type into the search bar, whether written or typed.

I had no idea about this, but just tested it and it worked perfectly finding the word I used for search in handwritten notes!

UPDATE: I also did a search to test out OneNote's ability to search text in an image (a PDF). I deliberately used one that was a coupon that I'd sent to one-note from a web page - it was definitely an image. Anyway, it worked fabulously!

I

Last edited:

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I remember the handwriting has been a part of Windows for a very long time (at least since 7 as far as my memory goes though I want to say Vista had it as well).
I had a Gateway convertible tablet, with OneNote that came with Windows XP. OneNote native handwriting and the pop-up handwriting box baked into the system were both incredible. The rest of the OS wasn't touch-friendly, but every note-taking app on the iPad is still playing catch-up to where MS was a decade ago (with sync-ability being the exception, but that's a newer paradigm).

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Windows has had handwriting recognition since Tablet PC Edition back in 2002. The reason that you're not seeing the recognition tool is that you're using Modern OneNote. Avoid that app like the plague, it is virtually useless, and switch to the desktop OneNote 2013. Once you write, the recognition tool is under the Draw tab in "Ink To Text". You can also input ink by switching virtual keyboard inputs from touch keyboard to ink.

Delek Turner

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I had a Gateway convertible tablet, with OneNote that came with Windows XP. OneNote native handwriting and the pop-up handwriting box baked into the system were both incredible. The rest of the OS wasn't touch-friendly, but every note-taking app on the iPad is still playing catch-up to where MS was a decade ago (with sync-ability being the exception, but that's a newer paradigm).
I still think MS won the handwriting war back then with MSN Messenger that sent my incomprehensible scribbles to people directly with no translation to text.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually hand writing recognition in windows is amongst the best out there. There's an option in control panel to train the os to recognise your hand writing for even better recognition, it only takes 10 minutes but is worth doing as it further increases the already great accuracy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234