Will the surface wireless keyboard adapter work with the Surface pro 3 keyboard?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I know the old keyboards will work with the Surface Pro 3. But that doesn't necessarily mean the wireless keyboard adapter will work with the new keyboards. Does anyone on wpcentral have the wireless adapter? And have you gone to the store to try it with the Surface Pro 3? I know they are discontinuing them and there is a limited quantity but I'm interested in getting one if I know it works with the new keyboards.

Thanks in advance!

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have one but there is no Best Buy or MS Store close to me. I will check it out when I get home on Wednesday. Hopefully someone else can try it before then.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I saw in a story from the launch about the hardware with a Pro Type Cover on the BT adapter, good sign. I bought one before they went the way of the dodo.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just tested this morning. It does work with the new Surface Type cover 3. The SP3 recognized it and pairing was just like with the other SPro's. However, I did run into one issue. You can type and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to scroll websites. But the trackpad did not work for scrolling when attached to the Type Cover 3. So I couldn't use the trackpad to scroll or to pinch to zoom.

I don't know if this is a permanent issue but I suspect that it can be fixed with in a future update. The folks at the MS Store said they would let their management know.

The scrolling capability works with my SPro2 and with the MS Store's SP2 as well. It was only with the SP3 that it stopped working. It doesn't appear to be a problem with the keyboard since I was able to pair the new keyboard with my SPro2 and use the trackpad scrolling.

Still, I'm glad that it works and if you can pick up the keyboard adapter for $50, then that is a good deal.

Eric Pellegrini

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
At first NO! Keyboard worked (minus all the hot keys) and no trackpad. BUT WAIT following an update by Microsoft YES!
All keys work, and you have a working trackpad. You get tap and click, tap and drag and the two buttons work. You are limited with gestures due to Bluetooth, just as you were with the earlier covers.

Personally I find the adapter works best with a desk and multiple monitors, so the track pad issue isn't a deal breaker. I use a Bluetooth mouse.

Information up to date as of 7-16-2014.

compulim

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Confirmed it is working. Got a Surface Pro 3 keyboard and plugged the adapter to it. The adapter turns itself on automatically, bravo!

Then on my PC > Change PC Settings > PC and devices > Bluetooth. It detected and paired with the adapter. My PC do not have Internet at the moment I pair the adapter, so I bet the driver comes with every Windows (8.1). No pairing key is needed.

However, the touchpad is not detected as a precision touchpad, and I bet it will never work that way. The adapter is a discontinued product and making it a "precision touchpad" will involve building a new Bluetooth profile + firmware upgrade. I guess the adapter simply turns the typing cover into a generic HID.

• No two-finger scrolling on the touchpad (it is not recognized as a "precision touchpad")
  • No scroll on edge (like Synapse touchpad driver feature)
  • Okay to double click-and-hold to mimic mouse dragging
  • Both tap and click register as a mouse click (tap is always left mouse button, click depends on the position)
  • No edge gesture to brings up charm bar
  • All Fn keys works correctly, use Fn+Caps to toggle Fn always on/off
  • Fn + up/down/left/right to PgUp/PgDown/Home/End
  • Do not turn a laptop into a tablet mode (i.e. virtual keyboard will not comes up when focusing on textbox in Store Apps)
  • Backlit of Surface Pro 3 keyboard works properly (dimmable by F1/F2)
  • CapsLock key will lit up properly, including pressing CapsLock key on host keyboard
  • Show up as a custom icon in Devices and Printers (a.k.a. Device Stage)
The wireless adapter expose the following device features in Bluetooth properties page:
  • Bluetooth HID Device
  • Device Identification Service
  • HID-compliant consumer control device
  • HID-compliant mouse
  • HID-compliant vendor-defined device
  • Service Discovery Service
  • Surface Wireless Adapter (type is "Keyboards")
  • Surface Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers
The notch on the typing cover matches the adapter perfectly.

Let me know if you have a specific question.

Update: I tested the Surface Pro 3 keyboard with the original Surface which runs Windows RT, with latest Windows Update as of now. The keyboard fit the notches and is usable. But unfortunately, it is not detected as a "precision touchpad" device. So it got the same experience as the wireless adapter, i.e. detected as standard HID-compliant keyboard/mouse.

p.s. if you have the adapter but not the keyboard, you cannot turn on the adapter and pair it to your PC. You must plug a keyboard cover to turn on the adapter
p.s.s. my testing PC is an Atom netbook about 5-8 years old, with built-in Bluetooth adapter

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon