Swap Out The Surface Pro 3 Software For...?

jfivieght

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
EVERYONE loves the Surface hardware and it really looks futuristic with the touch covers and all. On the other hand, the software isn't all that great or at all popular.

Wondering who would switch out Windows 8.1 for some other software if given the choice? I personally would love the Minority Report OS with just touch or some Tron Legacy OS. Anybody else have some cool idea? Maybe just a better future version of Windows....

chadthebuilder

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't see why anyone would want to get rid of Win 8.1.... Its fast, customizable, is very touch oriented, and runs many more programs than any other OS. Then again, I could see someone dual booting a Linux distro.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

jfivieght

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Win 8.1 is definitely great if you buy into it. I've gotten a bit bored with it at times and would like to see the same metro UI stuff advanced along with a desktop UI of the future. Linux would be interesting.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On the other hand, the software isn't all that great or at all popular.
This is a matter of opinion, really. Many of those of us who have actually used Windows 8.1 love it. There will always be those who resist change, but for those who actually give it a chance, it's worth moving to.

jfivieght

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the reviewers and most of the public sentiment so far. I like Windows 8.1 and use it everyday on my Surface P2 and desktop but would like it to advance even more. Cortana may help. I'm mostly just wondering what it would take to get people buying more Surfaces.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
This is a matter of opinion, really. Many of those of us who have actually used Windows 8.1 love it. There will always be those who resist change, but for those who actually give it a chance, it's worth moving to.
It sounds like you are implying that there is no legitimate criticism for Windows 8.1... that those who do criticize are merely resistant to change.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you are implying that there is no legitimate criticism for Windows 8.1... that those who do criticize are merely resistant to change.

Not that I completely agree with him (or disagree with you), don't you see that as the majority of the criticism out there? SP3 will be my first non-mobile experience (still on Windows Vista and 7 at home), but outside of the drastic change from 20-ish years of the same "windows/Start" OS, I chalk up a lot of it to too much change at once and not what it can actually do.

Do you have a quick list of the major gripes? Again, I honestly don't know...and am too lazy to troll the web right now outside of this forum....:evil:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I can't tell you how many people I know that have never used Windows 8.x, but they have "heard Windows 8 is bad" or that "it's only for tablets". So far, once I show it to them they all pretty much respond with, "wow, this is pretty cool" or "it has the desktop too?" or "you have Office on that?".

I know there are people that have tried it and really don't like Windows 8, but the vast majority that I have encountered have opinions that are formed without experience.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
if i could go back to windows 7, i would do it.
(for my surface pro 1).

(it's not possible, and it's a pain in the neck even trying).

you can run it through a VM though.

anyways, i dont use any of the touch, or windows 8 features (or 8.1 either),
i just boot straight through to desktop.

later

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
if i could go back to windows 7, i would do it.
(for my surface pro 1).

(it's not possible, and it's a pain in the neck even trying).
In Windows Weekly this week (6/18/2014), or it could have been last week, but I'm thinking this week, Paul Thurrott talked about how he found a way to get in such that you could install other OS on the PC. Might be worth it to check on his site, www.winsupersite.com for the tip.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. If we're talking about initial Windows 8 release, yeah, lots of usability issues. And of course, many complaints. Believe me, I work in the IT support field. I experienced this and heard it first hand way... way too many times.

But present day as it is now, it's actually pretty darn good on a touch or non-touch device. And nothing wrong with being happy with what ya got, but we've seen a surprisingly large demand to upgrade across the board.

A tablet such as the Surface Pro loves Windows 8.1. I've used countless operating systems and nothing has come close for my needs in a productive touch environment while seamlessly switching to a traditional mouse/keyboard when needed.

Definitely looking forward to future improvements though. Nothing is ever 100% perfect for me. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs