Got my Surface Pro 3 BUT

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
It was supposed to have firmware update but didn't. Not sure why.

But my biggest issue is that I am coming from MacAir and I use Google Calendar for everything. I need to sync my calendar to SP3 but it doesn't. And I have to be able to view multiple calendar for other employees as well.

How is this accomplished? I'm also used to using iPad and seeing open apps but assuming that when you hit the Windows key it stops program you are in? Or is there a way to view what apps are still running?

Love this so far but it's going to take some getting used. I've been away from windows for 3 years.

Thanks

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
A few ways to see running apps...
---Move curser to the top left corner to see apps listed... (metro aps and desktop mode app)

---swipe from the left and hold or swipe back to edge without lifting finger or to cycle through open apps... (metro aps and desktop mode app)

---right click task manager from task bar or type task manager from start menu... (metro aps and desktop apps, system resources)

Now, welcome to surface. Hopefully you will learn the new was to get things done with windows 8.1. It is very easy and efficient once you get the hang on of... but like anything else... you have to want to. I would love to even do a Skype video with you to help, lol. I just think that windows 8.1 is actually powerful and is so misunderstood.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It was supposed to have firmware update but didn't. Not sure why.

The firmware update is in the second batch of updates. The first time I checked for updates it only found one item. A second manual update check listed dozens of updates including the firmware. I assume the first update was a prerequisite for the others.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I logged in with my Google Apps account and it did not pull any calendar events in at all. I was told there was a way to do this but cannot find it. Would be a shame to not use the calendar app on SP3 effectively.

Thanks for the help. Anyone who knows how to sync Google calendar I'd greatly appreciate it.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Long story short, Google dropped support for Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) connections in early 2013 and that's why the Calendars won't sync. But email and contacts do. It's stupid.

I spent a bit of time figuring this out earlier today because when you search, a lot of the information is out of date or just plain wrong. Basically you have two options. Just ignore the 8.1 Calendar App and put a shortcut to Google Calendar on your Start, or...

You can sync the 8.1 Calendar TO Google Calendar, but not the other way around. Basically you can see all your appointments like you want to, but for changes/additions/deletions you have to go to Google Calendar. Yeah it's a pain but it's better than nothing, and the 8.1 Calendar will keep updated with whatever you change in Google Calendar. So here's how I did it. (Warning, the steps where it actually syncs can be a bit slow, be patient). Also you will need an Outlook.com email account. But that's a good thing, Outlook.com is pretty sweet and i bet a lot of people already have one.

1. open Google Calendar
2. click the "gear" icon in the top right -> Settings
3. click "Calendars" at the top
4. choose your calendar (you probably only have one and it has your name on it)
5. scroll down to "Private Address" (not Calendar Address) and click on ICAL
6. copy that shortcut, you'll need it
7. Open Outlook.com and login
8. click the arrow at the top and pick "Calendar"
9. click "Import" at the top
10. click "Subscribe" on the left
11. in the Calendar URL field, paste in the link that you go from your Google Calendar
12. click Subscibe
13. *at this point the Outlook.com calendar should start populating with your Gmail Calendar stuff... be patient if it takes a bit of time... almost done
14. On your Surface, go into your 8.1 Calendar App
15. swipe left to get the Charms sidebar -> Settings
16. Accounts
17. Add an Account
18. Outlook.com
19. type in your username and password for Outlook.com
20. Connect
YOU'RE DONE!!, again, be patient, it takes a bit of time for the Calendars to sync.
You can now SEE all your Google Calendar stuff in 8.1 Calendar... you just can't change it, or at least if you do it won't sync so it's best not to.

Hope i didn't leave anything out. Good luck!!

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
There's a link within that post that takes you to a page...really just shows you how to copy Google entries over to Windows.

Exactly. It copies the information one time. It doesn't sync. Which is actually fine if you just want Birthdays and such, but i think most people want it to sync every day. Even if it's only in one direction.

Really Google and MS need to fix this. Remember it worked fine when Win8 first came out, but then Google dropped it on purpose (long story).

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Try the Calendar app.

Calendar app help - Windows Help

I don't have atm a Win8 PC, so not sure how it works, but I guess it should.

Edit 1: LOL, I was unable to quote your post since "my message was auto marked as spam", w/o quote is fine.

Edit 2: Add a calendar
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.)

Tap or click Accounts.

Tap or click Add an account, tap or click the type of account you want to add, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte