Is your SP3 getting hot on the back left?

viciouzone

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got my SP3 i5 128 today and anytime I have the screen on the device the back side (top left when looking at the back side) gets warm / borderline hot to the touch. When the screen is off and the cover closed it cools down pretty quick and when back on it gets hot just as quick. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I should get a RMA and request a new one?

Not sure if it matters but I am downloading two games (Wildstar and Watchdogs) wirelessly at the same time.

acsn

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It does feels warmer around that location. I have yet to do anything intensive but I can feel that it is warm when I have Pandora going for a short while. I can hear the fan too.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Downloading 2 games simultaneously over WiFi would definitely make it warm. Hot? Not so much that you can't touch it. You have to understand that a device as strong and as thin as the Surface Pro 3 will get warm at times.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I commented about that in the user review section. It stays around 95-98 degrees with normal use. But anything that pushes the CPU even a little will get "surface" temps easily up to 108 degrees on the front/back where the CPU is apparently located. For me, that was copying files at gigabit speeds and installing some apps. Playing games? Same.

Although that noisy little fan does try hard to keep it cool.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine has gotten pretty doggone warm when I'm pushing it. I've installed RSAT, Visual Studio, SQL Server, Telerik RadControls, Office 365, and more. There were times that there were three installs running at once. So I've pushed it pretty hard there for a while. But while idle (surfing) right now, the right side back (facing the screen) is just slightly warm.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I was installing all my apps from other device at once. My pro 3 got so hot it actually shut itself off. When I went to turn it back on, it showed a little white thermometer icon and wouldn't let me turn on for a Few minutes. Has not happened since....

viciouzone

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks, It does not get too hot to touch but it gets very very warm. Using NZXTs CAM Software I getting readings of 60c - 73c on the CPU

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, putting a haswell cpu in such a thin device will always be very difficult to cool down.. that architecture is simply not made for this kind of form factor, but still.. they've done an amazing job to keep things under control for the most part.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I installed a Riptide GP2 demo from the Windows Store and after playing that for 20 minutes the fan hadn't kicked on (at least not loudly) but the back was very warm. It cooled off fast though.

viciouzone

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Turns out 87c is a bit to hot according to Microsoft customer support. I have an Exchange set up and will be shipping my device back today :( looks like 2 more weeks till I get my new one in my hands

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)