Surface Pro 3 Fan running constantly and noisy

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Received my Surface Pro 3 today and noticed that the fan seems to run constantly when powered on and connected to the AC. I was expecting the device to be quiet, but it's a lot louder than my other laptops, I'm really quite disappointed with it.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Received my Surface Pro 3 today and noticed that the fan seems to run constantly when powered on and connected to the AC. I was expecting the device to be quiet, but it's a lot louder than my other laptops, I'm really quite disappointed with it.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I will gladly take that noisy SP3 off your hands so that you can get some peace and quiet. Gimme!

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The fan on mine ran a bit here and there, but it eventually quieted down. If it continues and a reboot doesn't fix it then it could be a few things...

1) It's doing some initial setup work in the background like syncing your OneDrive, importing music, downloading/installing updates, etc. Leave it plugged in and disable sleep mode overnight so it can do whatever it might be trying to do.
2) There is a program that is behaving badly or stuck in a loop. Check task manager to find out what is making your device so busy.
3) It's defective in some way. Mine has been dead silent once I got past all the initial syncing/downloads/setup.

If you have only had it out of the box for a few hours then #1 is very likely.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a good chance it may have been doing some updates in the background.
It's set by default to download and install updates automatically in the background.
I changed mine so that it will check for them, but allow me to choose if and when I wish to download them.
When I chose to install the updates it found, I notice my fan was on. After all updates have been installed, I haven't heard the fan since.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I did a refresh and am in the process of reinstalling everything.

On a side note I have a problem after installing Visual Studio 2013, once installed the device can no longer go to sleep, it's not even an option under power settings. Looks like it may be something to do with the display driver, I'll have to research it tomorrow. Currently very frustrated, I have a Surface 2 (RT) and love it, but just not feeling it with this device.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Huh well sleep issue is due to hyper-v, doesn't look like sleep mode is supported with hyper-v running. Should have researched it more I guess, main reason I picked the Surface Pro 3 up was to replace my MacBook as personal dev machine, not looking too promising right now. Guess I'll have to research some more and mull over my options.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Huh well sleep issue is due to hyper-v, doesn't look like sleep mode is supported with hyper-v running. Should have researched it more I guess, main reason I picked the Surface Pro 3 up was to replace my MacBook as personal dev machine, not looking too promising right now. Guess I'll have to research some more and mull over my options.

It is the connected standby stuff that is not supported with Hyper V at the moment. You could probably do some research to completely disable connected standby and go back to the normal power options which I bet would include sleep. I seem to recall someone doing this on their Dell tablet.

As for the fans I suspect this is due to the fresh install and all the indexing that is required. I had it running a bit warm yesterday but it is all fine now.

thelern

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine ran the fan a lot on the first boot up as it was sync my one drive with over 40 gigs on it after that it has not turned the fan on much at all

Edu001

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Khador, I first ran windows update until cleared. Than I installed Office 2013, SQL server express 2014 with tools, VS2013 update 2, and Visio 2013 in that order. I rebooted, run windows update and rebooted again after each install. Everything is working perfectly. If you get stuck, start over.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think all the suggestions of initial setup were correct, my surface is running perfectly now, the fan rarely kicks on.

Really happy with my purchase now ��

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine doesn't run constantly, but I do notice that the fan comes on a lot more than my Surface Pro 2 ever did.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from a SP1 and then Helix. I heard the fan a lot on both of those; typically during Lync video conferences where I am talking/presenting/sharing video. My Helix sounded like it wanted to take off but my SP3 is totally silent.

The only time I've heard the fans is during updates and when my monster Outlook archives were indexing. Very impressed so far.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Streaming videos using Google Chrome will make my Surface Pro 3 run hot, and kick on the fan. I also have Chrome set to DPI. Not sure if that has something to do with it. It does fine when streaming vidoes using Internet Explorer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Streaming videos using Google Chrome will make my Surface Pro 3 run hot, and kick on the fan. I also have Chrome set to DPI. Not sure if that has something to do with it. It does fine when streaming vidoes using Internet Explorer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Chrome is notorious for its ridiculous system burdens. Use IE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills