Connected Standby disabled by Hyper-V, Visual Studio, Windows Phone SDK

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The Connected Standby feature that lets Surface get good standby battery life while also letting tiles update and the "magic" button on the Surface pen work stops working if you install Hyper-V. Since Hyper-V is used in development a lot, installing Visual Studio may disable the Connected Standby feature. There's not yet a public ETA for Microsoft adding Connected Standby support to Hyper-V.

You can quickly tell if you have Connected Standby support by placing your mouse over the battery icon on the desktop tray. If it shows an estimated run time, you do NOT have Connected Standby; if it only shows a percentage, you do.

Choices: 1) remove the Hyper-V feature to regain Connected Standby or 2) live without Connected Standby and the long standby battery life fancy pen button feature to invoke OneNote from the Connected Standby state.

I went with choice 1. Of course, I can't work on my mobile apps without reinstalling Hyper-V first, which requires a . Ugh.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I saw something on Twitter about this:

Top tip for #wpdev on Surface Pro 3.. to temporarily disable hyper-V to get full connected standby, bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
To turn it back on again bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto. Requires a reboot but advantage is you don't need to blow away hyperv
Oh and bcdedit /enum shows you the current hyperv launch state

From https://twitter.com/Clarkezone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon