USB port doesn't support external optical drive

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the model name.
Can you confirm that
1) You only power it with SP3's USB port and not using any powered USB hub
2) Can you write to DVD/CD with this drive in SP3 ?

1. Yes, I only powered through the SP3's USB port, but so far only while I've had it plugged in.
2. I have not attempted burning a disk yet. I'll see if I can find a blank around the house and try shortly. TBH, I very rarely do that anymore, but I do have the need to read DVDs regularly since I get monthly delivery of new embroidery designs via DVD. Anyway, I will try and report back.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I plugged in the Power USB port on my Buffalo DVSM-PN58U2VB into the SP3 AC charger. My SP3 now recognizes it. And I was able to burn something to the disc.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the model name.
Can you confirm that
1) You only power it with SP3's USB port and not using any powered USB hub
2) Can you write to DVD/CD with this drive in SP3 ?

OK - I've had an opportunity to test burning. I didn't have a lot of luck just burning using the Windows disk burning utility, but I installed the software that came with the drive and have been able to get that to work. I still have not tried with my SP3 unplugged however.

EDIT - update - I just burned one without my SP3 plugged in and it worked too, but only using the Cyberlink burn utility that came with the DVD drive. I suspect (based on the name of some of the part of the installation) that it uses less power than the Windows utility. If that's possible?

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I was having this same problem with an old HP DVD portable drive. It turns out I bought the same LG drive model that is working for you, but it will not work for me. I've plugged it in to my Surface Pro 3 while it was connected to AC, and still no luck. I just get the repeated finding the drive, losing the drive action until a message pops up with a notice that there was a power surge on the USB port.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I was having this same problem with an old HP DVD portable drive. It turns out I bought the same LG drive model that is working for you, but it will not work for me. I've plugged it in to my Surface Pro 3 while it was connected to AC, and still no luck. I just get the repeated finding the drive, losing the drive action until a message pops up with a notice that there was a power surge on the USB port.

That's very strange. I'm about to load some designs onto mine, from DVDs. I'll report back with any problems.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
@someoneinwa - Have you tried using a different cable? It's possible the USB cable is defective, or being a cheaper one or older, may not be up to the task of handling both power and data. Otherwise, you either have a defective DVD drive, or (worst case), you have a defective USB port on your SP3. I have the same exact model kittengirl and you have and I'm not having any problems. At least as far as reading DVDs is concerned. I haven't tried to burn anything with it. I haven't found the need... yet...

rkarolak

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had no problem using an external drive with my SP3, although the one I've tried has a dedicated power adapter.

Drives that only draw power off USB and come with a split usb cable may need a second port to work, such as the one on the SP3's power adapter.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had no problem using an external drive with my SP3, although the one I've tried has a dedicated power adapter.

Drives that only draw power off USB and come with a split usb cable may need a second port to work, such as the one on the SP3's power adapter.

Not necessarily true. My LG external DVD drive comes with a single (non-split) mini-USB cable with not external power supply.

This is the model that's been referenced:

LG - 8x External Double-Layer DVD?RW/CD-RW Drive - SP60NB50 dvd drive&cp=1&lp=2

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Are there any portable Bluray/DVD drives out there that work with the SP3 only plugged in to the USB port?

Thanks!

Got the Pioneer one, but it needs the USB 3 and USB 2 plugged in to start. Once the playback is going, say a movie, you don't need the USB 2 plugged in anymore. However, once it needs to go to the menu, say at the end of a movie or episode, it will not work, and you need to plug the USB 2 back in. I plan to get a USB 2 extension cable, so it can be plugged in to the SP3 power adaptor and have more cable length for the drive.

Not ideal, but if I am watching bluray, probably want to be close to an outlet.

Pioneer 6X External Blu-Ray Disc Writer Drive (BDR-XD05) : External DVD Writers - Future Shop

Don Sagar

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The issue with the USB port on the Surface Pro 3 tablet needs to be clarified once and for all. Engineers at Microsoft (per Microsoft) elected to under supply power to the USB 3.0 port with full knowledge that they were violating the industry standard for CD-DVD read/writers. This in effect obsoleted a whole generation of devices and whatever service they previously provided. In this regard, excuses are simply unacceptable. By so doing they covertly entered into collusion with a number of software manufactures intent upon forcing consumers to gravitate towards newer versions of their programs that are downloadable on line. A quick check of hardware compatibility will show that many of the devices that will not work on the Surface Pro tablet are in fact qualified as being compatible with Windows 8.0 and 8.1. And, they work fine on laptops manufactured by other companies. It's time that Microsoft is taken to task for this BS. The Surface Pro tablet is advertised as a computer and as such, should meet the standards designated for computers.

Lynn Parker Womack

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi I purchased the LG SP60NB50 Portable DVD at BB for my Surface 3 but I plug it in and nothing happens. I only want to watch DVD's, nothing fancy like burning, etc. Can some tell me how they got theirs to work?
Thanks!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The issue with the USB port on the Surface Pro 3 tablet needs to be clarified once and for all. Engineers at Microsoft (per Microsoft) elected to under supply power to the USB 3.0 port with full knowledge that they were violating the industry standard for CD-DVD read/writers. This in effect obsoleted a whole generation of devices and whatever service they previously provided. In this regard, excuses are simply unacceptable. By so doing they covertly entered into collusion with a number of software manufactures intent upon forcing consumers to gravitate towards newer versions of their programs that are downloadable on line. A quick check of hardware compatibility will show that many of the devices that will not work on the Surface Pro tablet are in fact qualified as being compatible with Windows 8.0 and 8.1. And, they work fine on laptops manufactured by other companies. It's time that Microsoft is taken to task for this BS. The Surface Pro tablet is advertised as a computer and as such, should meet the standards designated for computers.

I am sorry but this is just silly. Yes, the port is under powered but no, there is no "industry standard" for USB CD drives. The reason most (yes that is accurate) drives you can pick up on Amazon, Fry's, etc, have USB Y cables is because under powered ports are common across the market and have been for a long time. As for meeting some standard for computers, where is that standard written? Last I checked there are a diverse array of configurations ranging from 8 in tablets to netbook equivalents to servers, all of which can be gotten through any mainstream vendor and most of which run one or another version of Windows. SP3 is a configuration designed for ultra portability and you get the compromises that go along with that reality. If it does not meet someone's needs they should buy something else. Oh, old floppy drives and numerous SCSI devices will also work with Windows 8.X. Should SP3 have been designed to run those as well? After all, I might want to write floppy disk in the car or run the old SCSI duplex scanner from the back seat.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi I purchased the LG SP60NB50 Portable DVD at BB for my Surface 3 but I plug it in and nothing happens. I only want to watch DVD's, nothing fancy like burning, etc. Can some tell me how they got theirs to work?
Thanks!

If you plug it in and nothing happens, and it is a single plug configuration, no one can tell you how to get it to work. If it is not a defective drive or defective SP3, the SP3 port is simply not supplying enough power. There are no ways to increase the power output from the port. Sorry but this is one where it either works or it does not and there is no fix if the port cannot supply sufficient electricity to power up the device....

Academy1

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
New Surface 3 Pro. Need external DVD to load software. First purchased one didn't work. Understand now it didn't have enough power. Please recommend what to buy for an external DVD, with split cable so I can power it, with USB 3.0 and using Windows 8.1! The ads for DVDs just don't give all the required info.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
New Surface 3 Pro. Need external DVD to load software. First purchased one didn't work. Understand now it didn't have enough power. Please recommend what to buy for an external DVD, with split cable so I can power it, with USB 3.0 and using Windows 8.1! The ads for DVDs just don't give all the required info.

Try this one. It works perfectly on my SP3. It doesn't require a second USB port for power.

LG 8x External DoubleLayer DVD?RWCDRW Drive SP60NB50 - Best Buy

Jason Jacoby

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I bought the same LG external drive from BB and can also not get it to work. Constant disconnecting in the middle of installs. Looks like I'll be making ISO's and transferring them with a thumb-drive.

Oh well, I guess that saves me $35.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster