07-06-2015 08:52 PM
59 123
tools
    My pen loop fell off after 2 days of use, and now it won't stick back on. Who designed this thing anyway? It's essentially a small sticker that attaches to a fuzzy cover. How did they expect this to actually work in real life?

So I called Microsoft to see if they'd at least send me another pen loop with a fresh sticker. They said "No, the loop isn't covered under warranty." So my options are to return the entire type cover to get just a new pen loop (environmentally unwise), or live with it.

Microsoft, it's stuff like this that Apple wouldn't let out the door. The Surface Pro 3 is an excellent computer, but you fell asleep on the last 1% of the product design. *sigh*
    androidtoWM and fancy0479 like this.
    06-23-2014 03:26 PM
    As for the design, I'm afraid there arn't all that many reasonable alternatives. If the loop would be integrated, some people would complain cos they wouldn't like it. Putting the pen inside the tablet would've required sacrifices on the tablet itself. The charging port-solution of earlier Surface's is pretty bad too. I guess your best bet is to put the pen near the magnet and "hinge" that connects the keyboard to the tablet.
    06-23-2014 03:32 PM
    I guess you'll just have to return it for a brand new one....
    MS will put a pen loop thing one yours once you return it and sell it used or something
    06-23-2014 03:41 PM
    I'll probably just live with it, I'm just frustrated by the poor design.

I just saw they upped OneDrive space for office 365 subscribers to 1Tb, so I'll cut them some slack.
    06-23-2014 03:46 PM
    loop is crap anyway - there's a video online that shows alternative storage, clip it on the keyboard near to where it connects to screen.
    mozman68 likes this.
    06-23-2014 04:10 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement pen loops for $5. I'm sure you don't want to spend the money, but it seems like a better alternative than returning the whole keyboard, given your statement about that being environmentally unfriendly. I recall seeing it on the online store at one point, even before launch.

EDIT: Here's a a link.
    Wyn6 and enthuz like this.
    06-23-2014 04:17 PM
    wp_20140623_14_10_07_pro.jpg

I really dislike the pen loop. It's so out of place and when you carry your device around it's keeps wiggling, uncool :)
    This is how I carry the pen. It feels natural just like when I carry a book and a pen.

It may touch the screen a bit but not too bad.
    06-23-2014 04:23 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_20140623_14_10_07_pro.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	70035

I really dislike the pen loop. It's so out of place and when you carry your device around it's keeps wiggling, uncool :)
    This is how I carry the pen. It feels natural just like when I carry a book and a pen.

I actually don't mind the loop at all. I guess it all depends on where you apply it, although I thnk I pretty much ended up putting it in the suggested location.
    06-23-2014 04:41 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_20140623_14_10_07_pro.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	70035

This is exactly how I plan on using mine....red cover and all!
    Mulder Fox likes this.
    06-23-2014 04:47 PM
    This is exactly how I plan on using mine....red cover and all!
    The red grows on me.. I was about to pick up the blue one.. but ended up with red :) it's darker than the older type cover.. but looks better :)
    Great deal likes this.
    06-23-2014 06:37 PM
    This is how I use mine. I never attached the loop, I couldn't bring myself to attach that ugly sticker to such a nice piece of kit. The pen clip doesn't end up touching the screen at all. It has about 1 mm of clearance.

Then only problem is that you need to remove the pen before opening the keyboard. It will keep the folding mechanism from working if you leave it there. If I am not charging the surface, I stick the pen on the side where the charger port is. The magnet in the side will stick to the AAAA battery in the pen, and hold the pen in place.
    06-23-2014 07:10 PM
    So my options are to return the entire type cover to get just a new pen loop (environmentally unwise), or live with it.
    That's a little dramatic.

A couple drops of super glue will solve your problem.

Or you can buy a new pen loop from MS for $5.

Or you can find another way to attach the pen to the keyboard, as reflected in the other posts in this thread.
    jedge likes this.
    06-23-2014 07:18 PM
    Just staple it on.........................................sorry I couldn't resist
    06-23-2014 07:42 PM
    I stuck it to the back of the tablet, not the keyboard, works much better there.
    onysi likes this.
    06-23-2014 09:17 PM
    The loop doohicky is clearly a last minute toss-in by some *****. It's a terrible "solution."
    06-23-2014 10:18 PM
    Just staple it on.........................................sorry I couldn't resist
    4f1p5l9.jpg
    06-24-2014 02:05 AM
    Here's where i put mine:
    I hate it there, but i hate it everywhere else more.

capture.jpg

Btw: here's my old tablet which DID have a slot/silo thing which eventually broke so the pen slid out of it anyway. Hence it being tied down by the lanyard. Do you know how hard it is to write with a string on your pen?

capture2.jpg
    06-24-2014 02:12 AM
    that's not how I remembered my HP Tablet PC. you had to click the pen into the slot. and click it in to pop it out.

but yeah, it did come out a bit too easily. and that cord so got in the way many times. ended up just having the pen as it was stable enough in the slot.
    06-24-2014 04:05 AM
    Just curious, but has anyone tried attaching the loop to the Surface Pro itself? It sounds ugly and crazy but it's a thought.
    06-24-2014 10:12 AM
    Just curious, but has anyone tried attaching the loop to the Surface Pro itself? It sounds ugly and crazy but it's a thought.
    You must have missed Kevroc's statement above: "I stuck it to the back of the tablet, not the keyboard, works much better there."
    06-24-2014 10:25 AM
    My idea, given the size and shape of the computer, would have been to make one of the edges concave, and put magnets in it. Even a slight concavity would significantly improve the security of the pen over the magnets that are there now by the power slot.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    06-24-2014 12:11 PM
    Pick yourself up a Leuchtturm 1917 pen loop. Way better design and stickyness
    06-24-2014 12:14 PM
    You must have missed Kevroc's statement above: "I stuck it to the back of the tablet, not the keyboard, works much better there."

Lol you're right. I totally misread his comment and skipped the "not the keyboard" part. Was quite tired this morning.

That Leuchtturm 1917 pen loop looks very interesting.
    06-24-2014 04:52 PM
    In my picture above, it is stuck to the tablet, not the case. That's how it kinda snuggles into the groove there when the case is folded back.
    06-24-2014 05:41 PM
    After losing a pen I actually purchased a loop from Amazon to use with the SP2 - I couldn't really find any good place to put it, put it in a drawer. Few months later got a Kindle and kindle case with built in note pad..used the loop so could hold pencil..job done!
    06-24-2014 06:24 PM
59 123