Stupid pen loop fell off and MS won't help.

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
My pen loop fell off after 2 days of use, and now it won't stick back on. Who designed this thing anyway? It's essentially a small sticker that attaches to a fuzzy cover. How did they expect this to actually work in real life?

So I called Microsoft to see if they'd at least send me another pen loop with a fresh sticker. They said "No, the loop isn't covered under warranty." So my options are to return the entire type cover to get just a new pen loop (environmentally unwise), or live with it.

Microsoft, it's stuff like this that Apple wouldn't let out the door. The Surface Pro 3 is an excellent computer, but you fell asleep on the last 1% of the product design. *sigh*

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As for the design, I'm afraid there arn't all that many reasonable alternatives. If the loop would be integrated, some people would complain cos they wouldn't like it. Putting the pen inside the tablet would've required sacrifices on the tablet itself. The charging port-solution of earlier Surface's is pretty bad too. I guess your best bet is to put the pen near the magnet and "hinge" that connects the keyboard to the tablet.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess you'll just have to return it for a brand new one....
MS will put a pen loop thing one yours once you return it and sell it used or something

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll probably just live with it, I'm just frustrated by the poor design.

I just saw they upped OneDrive space for office 365 subscribers to 1Tb, so I'll cut them some slack.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
loop is crap anyway - there's a video online that shows alternative storage, clip it on the keyboard near to where it connects to screen.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement pen loops for $5. I'm sure you don't want to spend the money, but it seems like a better alternative than returning the whole keyboard, given your statement about that being environmentally unfriendly. I recall seeing it on the online store at one point, even before launch.

EDIT: Here's a a link.

TywinnLannister

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
wp_20140623_14_10_07_pro.jpg

I really dislike the pen loop. It's so out of place and when you carry your device around it's keeps wiggling, uncool :)
This is how I carry the pen. It feels natural just like when I carry a book and a pen.

It may touch the screen a bit but not too bad.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 70035

I really dislike the pen loop. It's so out of place and when you carry your device around it's keeps wiggling, uncool :)
This is how I carry the pen. It feels natural just like when I carry a book and a pen.

It may touch the screen a bit but not too bad.

I actually don't mind the loop at all. I guess it all depends on where you apply it, although I thnk I pretty much ended up putting it in the suggested location.

wundram

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
This is how I use mine. I never attached the loop, I couldn't bring myself to attach that ugly sticker to such a nice piece of kit. The pen clip doesn't end up touching the screen at all. It has about 1 mm of clearance.

Then only problem is that you need to remove the pen before opening the keyboard. It will keep the folding mechanism from working if you leave it there. If I am not charging the surface, I stick the pen on the side where the charger port is. The magnet in the side will stick to the AAAA battery in the pen, and hold the pen in place.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So my options are to return the entire type cover to get just a new pen loop (environmentally unwise), or live with it.

That's a little dramatic.

A couple drops of super glue will solve your problem.

Or you can buy a new pen loop from MS for $5.

Or you can find another way to attach the pen to the keyboard, as reflected in the other posts in this thread.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Here's where i put mine:
I hate it there, but i hate it everywhere else more.

Capture.JPG

Btw: here's my old tablet which DID have a slot/silo thing which eventually broke so the pen slid out of it anyway. Hence it being tied down by the lanyard. Do you know how hard it is to write with a string on your pen?:shocked:

Capture2.JPG

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
that's not how I remembered my HP Tablet PC. you had to click the pen into the slot. and click it in to pop it out.

but yeah, it did come out a bit too easily. and that cord so got in the way many times. ended up just having the pen as it was stable enough in the slot.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, but has anyone tried attaching the loop to the Surface Pro itself? It sounds ugly and crazy but it's a thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb