Type Cover keys - very loose and noisy?

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
This isn't a complaint, per se. I love the keyboard on the Type Cover--I can type faster on it than I can on my MacBook Air. However, the keys are very loose (I swear I remember the keys on the red demo unit in the Microsoft store being "spongier"), and subsequently they're quite loud. Mine is the black version, although I'm sure that doesn't matter.

Is everyone's Type Cover like this? If so, then no biggie--I'll just deal with it. But if there's a chance that there are "spongier" and quieter keyboards out there, I'd like to look into a replacement before my 30 days is up.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm.. I'm not sure if I can tell the difference or not between our keyboards. My keyboard is kind of noisy. How do you have your keyboard attached? Is it flat or is it attached to the screen at the angled position? I can tell you now that I have switched to the flat position it is a tad quieter since it isn't in the air. But I still here the clicks. In my opinion it sounds as loud as other keyboards. The best thing to do might be to go to the Microsoft store and compare your keyboards to what they have there to know for sure.

Hopefully this helps!

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm.. I'm not sure if I can tell the difference or not between our keyboards. My keyboard is kind of noisy. How do you have your keyboard attached? Is it flat or is it attached to the screen at the angled position? I can tell you now that I have switched to the flat position it is a tad quieter since it isn't in the air. But I still here the clicks. In my opinion it sounds as loud as other keyboards. The best thing to do might be to go to the Microsoft store and compare your keyboards to what they have there to know for sure.

Hopefully this helps!

Did you get yours on launch day? And is it black? I'm wondering if there aren't different lots.

I'll definitely stop by the Micosoft store and see if I can tell a difference.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my keyboard from Best Buy to get the Dark Blue type Cover. Received it yesterday. You're right it is possible there are different batches of them.

Let us know what you find out.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
As a quick update, I swapped my black type cover for a red one, and while it MIGHT be a placebo effect, the new one does seem quieter than the other one and the key feel is a little more solid. It's like there's just the tiniest bit of resistance to the keys, that give better feedback and makes typing much quieter. I notice this most late at night when my wife is asleep--I don't feel so much like I'm constant afraid of waking her up.

So, again, it might just be perception, but it _does_ seem like there's a difference in keyboards. Maybe those particular black units were part of a lot with inferior mechanisms or somesuch, who knows. I'm not suggesting that everyone run out and replace their black Type Covers, but it might be worth a quick check the next time you're in a Microsoft store or somewhere that has the Type Covers in stock.

Ekhangell

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
I can confirm my wife's Type Cover 2017 gen is spongier than mine (same model, different color). I'm also on my second keyboard. The first, as well as this one exhibit(ed) sqeaks on different keys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss