Confusing Reviews On Here

FiledIMAGE

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Im seeing a lot of negativity about Surface Pro 3 on here which is alarming but dont think it will deter me in upgrading. I am a professional photographer with Surface Pro 1. I have loved the ability for me to download and edit images on the run. Whilst at an f1 sports event I was travelling home on public transport with a 4G USB dongle sending images from Lightroom to a sports agency. Times like that you get warm fuzzy feeling of how good this device is. Issues for me are screen aspect for Lightroom was bad and too small and fiddly, though usable. battery life and I suppose weight. All these solved with the Pro 3. I take it thats its a no brainer to upgrade and sell the Pro1?

Chris

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It truly is a fantastic piece of hardware. I am using it right now. And it is easily the best computer I have ever owned. You will be happy with the device. It is a good improvement from the Pro 1. If you have any doubts see if there is a local Microsoft Store or Best Buy store where you can see the device for yourself.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's pretty much a no brainer as you said since it addresses all of your current issues. I have owned all three Surface Pros now (sold each previous model to friends) and MS really nailed it with the SP3 in my opinion. The SP1 and SP2 were great, but I had some of the same minor concerns as you did and SP3 has addressed them all. I use Lightroom quite a bit too and the screen size, resolution, and aspect ratio are ideal I think. Certainly better than 16:9 which I have never been a fan of for computer screens.

I think it's normal for all the complaints to show up first so don't let that freak you out. I haven't really seen anybody panicking about any of the issues yet. It's mostly just minor annoyances, quirks, or misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This is why MS is f***ed with consumers(esp women):

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/481619399602757632

Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but some random tweet on twitter doesn't tell the whole story. Personally, I have seen a ton of interest in the SP3 that did not exist for the previous versions. I also don't think women are any more or less prone to be glued to Apple. Actually, there are three people at my work that are all determined to get a SP3. Two are women (with iPhones and Apple stickers on their Windows laptops). One of them asked to see my SP3 today, then got on her computer and ordered one while I was still sitting there.

Anyway, lets not hijack the OP's thread and turn it into another "MS is f****" debate.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
When you're looking at consumer reviews you have to remember, most people don't take the time to write one unless they're really happy or really mad about a product. So it gives you a skewed view.

You're better off finding a tech site that you feel has the same preferences that you do, or one that is totally unbiased... if that's possible. Personally i've always looked to Anandtech for this purpose. Here's their review: AnandTech | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Review I also still read Maximum PC (yes the non-electronic magazine) which had a preview this month and should have a full review next month.

Of course there is no substitute for trying it out for yourself.

FiledIMAGE

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah good comments here. Thanks. I certainly see this just improving on everything I already love. Im still in that frame of ind that this is an awesome overpowered tablet rather than a gimmick of a laptop. When you have to hike around with a heavy photography bag then you crave something light like a tablet, which just so happens to be able to process 25meg RAWS thru USB and edit in Lightroom. Awesome.

Ive always thought this was a good advert for the Surface in the field. Excuse the legs!

6-25-2014 2-26-11 PM.jpg

Peter England

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Im seeing a lot of negativity about Surface Pro 3 on here which is alarming but dont think it will deter me in upgrading. I am a professional photographer with Surface Pro 1. I have loved the ability for me to download and edit images on the run. Whilst at an f1 sports event I was travelling home on public transport with a 4G USB dongle sending images from Lightroom to a sports agency. Times like that you get warm fuzzy feeling of how good this device is. Issues for me are screen aspect for Lightroom was bad and too small and fiddly, though usable. battery life and I suppose weight. All these solved with the Pro 3. I take it thats its a no brainer to upgrade and sell the Pro1?

Chris

Hi Chris, you have summed up my feelings too. I've been wanting something like the Pro 3 for ages and found the Surface Pro 2 to be almost perfect for photo editing. For me its screen size is cramped and the stylus inaccurate.

Some of the complaints I've seen are annoying and made me doubt my choice but there is nothing out there that can compare to the Pro 3 for photographers who want something portable and with a pen.

I can't wait to get the Pro 3 though and try Lightroom and Photoshop out with the new pen. Not to mention tethering with my Nikon.

It's the age old problem with complaints though, If people love something they are far less likely to praise it openly than those that want to moan.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah good comments here. Thanks. I certainly see this just improving on everything I already love. Im still in that frame of ind that this is an awesome overpowered tablet rather than a gimmick of a laptop. When you have to hike around with a heavy photography bag then you crave something light like a tablet, which just so happens to be able to process 25meg RAWS thru USB and edit in Lightroom. Awesome.

Ive always thought this was a good advert for the Surface in the field. Excuse the legs!

View attachment 70176
Great photo! Great choice of TypeCover color!

You said, "Im still in that frame of mind that this is an awesome overpowered tablet rather than a gimmick of a laptop."

That's an interesting perspective. I've always viewed the Surface line as a premium ultrabook but a sub-par tablet.

FiledIMAGE

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Ha and another couple of Surface Pro in its element

WP_20140314_012.jpg

WP_20130616_003.jpg

WP_20130724_003.jpg

You cant see Surface on last one but it is tethered to camera shooting 25meg RAWs, with metadata and some settings auto applied before sending.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Based on Anandtech's review, the display is better than previous SPx. I suppose as a photographer, having a well calibrated display is important. I had the SP1, and now SP3. I am satisfied with my purchase. The CS is kinda wonky, but I suppose I wouldn't expect MS to get that right the first time.

Personally, I like the new aspect ratio, much more usable compared to SP1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12