No Hibernation option

davesurfer

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The first thing I noticed on my SP3 was that it has no Hibernation option. I've tried to turn it on via elevated command prompt "powercfg -h on" as well as going to the Power Options in the control panel, "Choose what the power buttons do", select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" but there is no Hibernation option to check at the bottom under "Shutdown settings".

I have all the latest updates (checked today) and installed the latest firmware update that came out a week or so ago.

How can I enable the Hibernation option on the SP3? Thanks!

davesurfer

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did not see anything in the manual beside the following:
InstantGo and hibernation If you don’t use Surface Pro 3 for a few minutes, the screen turns off and it goes into a power-saving sleep state called InstantGo. With InstantGo, your Surface wakes up instantly with your apps and data up to date.
If you don’t use Surface for several hours, it will hibernate. Hibernation saves your work, and then turns off your Surface. When you start up your Surface again, you’re back where you left off though not as fast as InstantGo.
To change when the screen dims or turns off, or when Surface Pro goes into sleep or InstantGo, see Surface Pro battery and power on Surface.com.
Change when Surface sleeps If you don’t use Surface Pro 3 for a while, the screen may dim or turn off to help preserve battery life. Here’s where you can change these settings: 1. Open the Settings charm, tap or click Change PC settings > PC and devices > Power and sleep. 2. Under Sleep, choose when you want Surface to go to sleep (on battery and when plugged in). Note If you’d like to make more changes to how Surface Pro 3 uses power, see Power plans: Frequently asked questions on Windows.com.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-2EC483AC7CF3/Surface-Pro-3-User-Guide-EN.pdf

davesurfer

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I did not see anything in the manual beside the following:
InstantGo and hibernation If you don’t use Surface Pro 3 for a few minutes, the screen turns off and it goes into a power-saving sleep state called InstantGo. With InstantGo, your Surface wakes up instantly with your apps and data up to date.
If you don’t use Surface for several hours, it will hibernate. Hibernation saves your work, and then turns off your Surface. When you start up your Surface again, you’re back where you left off though not as fast as InstantGo.
To change when the screen dims or turns off, or when Surface Pro goes into sleep or InstantGo, see Surface Pro battery and power on Surface.com.
Change when Surface sleeps If you don’t use Surface Pro 3 for a while, the screen may dim or turn off to help preserve battery life. Here’s where you can change these settings: 1. Open the Settings charm, tap or click Change PC settings > PC and devices > Power and sleep. 2. Under Sleep, choose when you want Surface to go to sleep (on battery and when plugged in). Note If you’d like to make more changes to how Surface Pro 3 uses power, see Power plans: Frequently asked questions on Windows.com.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-2EC483AC7CF3/Surface-Pro-3-User-Guide-EN.pdf

I would like to be able to manually put the SP3 into hibernation. I don't trust the automatic hibernation as it sometimes doesn't work--for example the other day I put my SP3 to sleep, put it in my laptop bag and then when I took it out a few hours later it was hot and the battery had drained totally. I want to be able to put it into hibernation so I know the device is powered off and using NO POWER whatsoever. I can do this on my SP2 and every other PC I use, why is this option not available on the SP3?

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It has to do with the whole "connected standby" configuration. I think it's pretty stupid. In theory, the machine is supposed to go into "deep" sleep after 4 hours, but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't. I lose about 20-30% battery overnight with it asleep. I've actually been searching quite a bit and from what I can tell, we're stuck with how it works. You'll also notice that you can't see an estimate on how much time your battery has left, just a percentage. MS really took a step backwards on this one. I'm fortunate that I have the option of switching back to my SP2 which is becoming a very high possibility.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm amazed at how "sensitive" people are on here....maybe a little impatient...with what I personally consider "minor" issues that are obviously known (just do a basic Bing search) and that most have either been addressed or the issue is known and will most likely be fixed.

Unless there was some catostrophic failure or issue, I can't see returning any product (much less a device that my life doesn't depend on) after less than a week or two of owning....particularly a brand new piece of technology.

Sure I could wait a couple of months for ALL bugs (yeah right) to be ironed out, but by then I would already be hearing rumors about the next big thing.

And for anyone claiming Microsoft has a history of having issues and never fixing them, I call BS....at least no more than any other company (even Apple...just go on an Apple forum to hear complaints about battery life, unexpected shutdowns, software issues or lack of particular software....yes...it happens to everyone...)

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I'm so sensitive, but, I don't consider that a minor issue. Dropping 20-30% battery life overnight on a device where battery life is a huge selling point to me is not minor. From my perspective, the SP3 doesn't offer much benefit over the SP2. Bigger screen is pretty nice, and the keyboard (well, the touch pad) is definitely better. I think the pen is a wash on either device. SP2 has the same processing power and, right now, a lot more battery life on a smaller screen.

Will Microsoft fix this? I hope so, but from what I've read about connected standby on other machines, they continue to have the same problems unless you turn off all the metro apps. To me, the fact that my news feed or my mail isn't updated the second I turn on the device isn't as important as 20% battery life overnight.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that is NOT happening to everyone. Almost everyone on here that has complained about that very issue has had it fixed by either updating the firmware or a simple soft restart, no?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that is NOT happening to everyone. Almost everyone on here that has complained about that very issue has had it fixed by either updating the firmware or a simple soft restart, no?
No.

The issues with connected standby and battery drain have been around since day-1 of gen-1. Both Pro and non-Pro devices have been affected. Not everyone experiences it. And for those who experience it there is no "magic bullet" that corrects all occurrences. There have been a few reported "solutions" that APPEAR to work but there is no official word from Microsoft that any of those homegrown solutions actually address the issue. These homegrown solutions appear to work until the next monthly update, which then starts the whole cycle all over again.

It is affecting the SP3 in much the same way as the previous generation devices. There seems to be something inherently broken in Microsoft's design of connected standby that is not easy to detect and correct.

davesurfer

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
...and 3rd party software affecting it doesn't seem to be the main cause in almost ALL cases?

I use my SP3 for onsite IT work and have loaded the exact same programs that I have on my SP2 which works perfectly. I expect the SP3 and all Surface Pro tablets to work just like a normal PC laptop and to give me full options like I would normally get on a PC. The whole idea of a Surface Pro is that it's NOT an iPad which is a tablet OS that can't run desktop programs--the SP is just as powerful and is a full-blown PC.

The original complaint I had was regarding no option for Hibernation on the shutdown options. Regardless of whether connected standby goes into Hibernation after (how many hours? Does anyone even know??) I would like the option to go into Hibernation whenever I want to. It's just more control over one's computer. These power draining glitches are something that I understand Microsoft is still working out and I can live with that, I just would rather not trust the automated sleep process and have the ability to go into Hibernation when I please.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this. Granted I've had mine for all of 23 hours, and I haven't used Win8/8.1 until yesterday, I did expect that it would work like an ultrabook if I wanted it to -- in other words, you have the option to enable/use tablet-like features if you want, but you could also use all "traditional" PC features. I consider hibernation one of those features. All that being said, I'm typing this from my work PC (Win7) that my IT team has removed the "sleep" option from and I only have shutdown/restart/hibernate as options.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I thought there was a guide somewhere to changing a registry key that gives you back the power options? All the customisability you're after should be there, you might just have to dig deeper to find it. I'm guessing MS set this up with what they thought (and hopefully tested) was the best compromise for 'regular' users. That's aside from the obvious failing in standby, connected or otherwise (even my SP1 often comes out of sleep in my bag).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99