Pen wouldn't take screenshots; Microsoft swapped it out

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Surface Pro 3 since launch day and while I played around with the pen, I hadn't gotten around to trying out the screenshot feature until a couple of days ago. So I was dismayed that this rather minor feature was the first glitch in my experience with the SP3. My pen would wake the Surface from sleep and would write and erase as it was supposed to do, but it would not take a double-click screenshot. I tried everything: slower double-clicks, faster double-clicks, removing and re-pairing the pen, making sure all the updates were in place, uninstalling and reinstalling One Note. Nothing worked. Now this feature I hadn't even gotten around to trying for over a week was suddenly the most important thing to me. I read the Surface support pages and prowled around this forum but I didn't see anything about this exact problem.

So today I went off to my thankfully convenient Microsoft Store and demonstrated the problem to them. After confirming I had the updates and all, they paired a demo model Surface pen to my device and it worked as it was supposed to. They got a new pen, installed the battery and paired it to my SP3. It worked too. I handed them my bad pen, they handed me my new one and all is now right in my SP3 world. My sudden interest in being able to take screen shots with the pen will probably wane, but it will be nice to know it works when I want it to or want to show off something cool my tablet can do.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Glad they took care of you. I didn't realize the pen could do that. I tried it on mine, and it launches the OneNote clipping tool - must be a setting I haven't sought out yet.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Double two botton on stylus, then select screenshot area with stylus.

Or, double click the purple button. One Note should open and you should see your screenshot under a semi-opaque layer that allows you to draw a selection box around any part of the screenshot you want to keep.

AdilY

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
My pen didn't take screenshots with double clicking until I had the OneNote app updated . Make sure you have all Windows updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3