Surface Pro 3 One Month Later

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Most people here have had his/her SP3 for about a month now. Now that the initial "new tech love" feeling has dwindled, do you still use your SP3 as much as you did the first week? Are you still enjoying it? Noticed anything weird/awesome/bad after a month of usage?
Sent from my HTC Windows Phone 8X using Tapatalk

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Still using it and liking it! I'm experiencing WiFi drop outs, but this appears to be a known problem. Aside from that I use the sp3 everytime I'm out! Prior to this I was going out with the sp2 - I love the real estate on this screen!!! I do wish they'd made the keys larger, on the type cover, otherwise I'm happy!!!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Most people here have had his/her SP3 for about a month now. Now that the initial "new tech love" feeling has dwindled, do you still use your SP3 as much as you did the first week? Are you still enjoying it? Noticed anything weird/awesome/bad after a month of usage?

How is that? I thought the SP3 was first sold publicly on June 20th? It's not even been a month out on the market!

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Even though it hasn't been quite a month. I have used my surface everyday. More so as a computer. But also been using it as a notebook for notes at work. Needs to get Netflix and Hulu setup on it. I'm using it more so as a recreational device currently. But will get much more use and productivity out of it when College starts up again this fall. This device fits my needs quite well. And ill be using it for quite awhile!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
It feels like a month honestly, haha

In a sense yes! I feel that I have been using the SP3 for a while - I am that comfortable with. Since I got my device (June 20th!), I have been using it for over 12-15 hours a day. It has performed very well. I have taken handwritten notes on it sitting in the middle of a field, under trees, at my desk etc. I have surfed on it at my desk and as a tablet (slightly unwieldy, but nothing to complain about). I have yet to watch movies etc. on it though, but will do so sometime soon.

And, above all, I often forget that I am using a full computer and not a Surface 2 (RT).

I am very happy with the SP3 and feel like it is a device that I have been waiting for!

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
In a sense yes! I feel that I have been using the SP3 for a while - I am that comfortable with. Since I got my device (June 20th!), I have been using it for over 12-15 hours a day. It has performed very well. I have taken handwritten notes on it sitting in the middle of a field, under trees, at my desk etc. I have surfed on it at my desk and as a tablet (slightly unwieldy, but nothing to complain about). I have yet to watch movies etc. on it though, but will do so sometime soon.

And, above all, I often forget that I am using a full computer and not a Surface 2 (RT).

I am very happy with the SP3 and feel like it is a device that I have been waiting for!

How is it unwieldy? Isn't it supposed to feel like a pad of paper?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I use my SP3 as much as I used the SP1 that it replaced... every day.

opportunistic

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I've found that I used the notepad/pen feature very rarely. I've tried to use it especially in class for notes but then I realized that it was easier and faster for me to just type. I tried to use it for notes during a meeting and it was sufficient but the orientation kept changing because I was taking notes not with a tape so it was slightly on an angle in my arm.

I love the type cover. It feels great but at the same time it gets glossy from my fingers rather quickly. Even if I've just washed my hands so I'm finding having to clean it often.

Some minor bugs I've been doing with were periodic freezing. Nothing was responsive. After googling I found an obscure post from someone that mentioned the program "flux" (which dims the screen based on the sun/hour). I uninstalled it and haven't noticed any freezing so fingers crossed it stays that way. My pro has been getting very hot even when not doing anything in particular. This didn't occur when I first got it but after a couple of weeks just sitting there and looking at emails the fan was going off.

A couple of times the thing just killed itself. As in, I was using it and then closed the type cover and put it in my bag. I took it out later to use only to feel it burning hot and completely dead. Read online that it has to do with a bug that occurs sometimes when moving from connected standby to sleep and then to whatever mode it goes into...it doesn't transition and then dies. That was extremely frustrating because both times I needed it, this happened. So now I have to go to shutdown in case that happens again. I have also constantly checked for updates in hopes that this is fixed.

I'm still getting used to the high resolution screen because a lot of times things look very small or blurry based on the recommended settings (Still sucks that chrome comes out blurry while firefox and IE are crisp and clear).

In terms of games...I installed a couple of games, not really intensive ones. Don't really intend on pushing it for games.

ziggy3055#CB

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
This is my first Surface device, and I can honestly say I'm pleased with it! It's nice to have a tablet that is as powerful as a laptop. I find myself using it everyday and more than my desktop at this point. I just wish it had a place to store the pen on the device itself. I haven't suffered from the wifi dropout, but I do see slow speeds when connected. I trust that it'll be resolved in a future update though. Glad I bought mine.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Overall, I like it.

There are a few quirks about it that disappoints me:
1. Windows keep unchecking "Enhance pointer precision" in my Mouse Properties. Really annoying. I also have Logitech Setpoint installed as well. But on my desktop, Windows never unchecks "Enhance pointer precision"
2. I wish the trackpad on the touch cover can do edge scrolling. The trackpad needs more options to make it more user friendly, like those Synaptics touchpads
3. The Connected Standby still needs some fixn'. Many users seems to have disabled it all together.

I would still buy it again though. So I guess I'm happy overall.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have any one you had any screen glare issues when using the SP3 outside?
All the reviews I've seen it appears the SP3 is almost as reflective as a mirror lol.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I switched from MacAir that I had for almost 3 years. I am really loving this SP3. Maybe it's because I like new things in general, but the size for me hits the sweet spot. Just to re-learn Windows again...a lot has changed over the last few years.

Battery life, however, isn't 10 hours as advertised. It's more like 6-7, as I do a lot of emailing, web browsing, and desktop applications. Not terrible, but not close to my MacAir and it's 10-12 hours.

Much more powerful than my Air, and love that as well. Wish some bigger apps were better, like Evernote for Windows.

I also don't use the pen that much, but would like to. My life seems to be on Evernote and I used their annotation feature for my Android tablet, the Note 10.1 2014. Was great. Now I need to learn OneNote, and haven't had the time as of yet. Seems like it would be powerful tool.

Overall I am very happy. Not sure the rest of my salesteam would be easily swayed to make the move.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Overall, I like it.

There are a few quirks about it that disappoints me:
1. Windows keep unchecking "Enhance pointer precision" in my Mouse Properties. Really annoying. I also have Logitech Setpoint installed as well. But on my desktop, Windows never unchecks "Enhance pointer precision"
2. I wish the trackpad on the touch cover can do edge scrolling. The trackpad needs more options to make it more user friendly, like those Synaptics touchpads
3. The Connected Standby still needs some fixn'. Many users seems to have disabled it all together.

I would still buy it again though. So I guess I'm happy overall.

I've wondered why they didn't make a more major innovation to the trackpad. For example, imagine if Microsoft managed to make the whole bottom bezel below the keyboard, the trackpad! That would've been so much better. Although, the trackpad now I think works well.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've wondered why they didn't make a more major innovation to the trackpad. For example, imagine if Microsoft managed to make the whole bottom bezel below the keyboard, the trackpad! That would've been so much better. Although, the trackpad now I think works well.

And what would happen when you normally lay your palms on said bezel when typing?

fzammetti

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I seem to be a little bit of a different user in that my SP3 is actually a DESKTOP replacement.

I never made the full-time jump to a laptop that most people did, I've always preferred a good, self-built and tuned desktop. The one I replaced was a few years old but was still doing the job for me 98% of the time (it was a powerhouse when I put it together). But, I definitely loved the idea of "taking it all with me", as it were, that a laptop offers, and I was a bit envious of some of the new tech available besides.

The SP3 was a good choice to replace my desktop as well as my sometimes-used laptop it seemed... the power of my desktop in an ultra-portable package (that just HAPPENS to be a tablet too, which is pretty much a BIG added bonus). I had an initial problem that I'm still not sure of the root cause of that resulted in me having to do a full reset after spending 3 days installing all my software... that sucked... I was actually worried at that point that I might have made a bad mistake with the purchase... but after the reset everything has been working flawlessly since.

I currently have two external monitors running off of it (I'm a big multi-user proponent) with the Surface itself replacing the third I used to have, plus of course a proper keyboard and mouse. The biggest issue I've had is that hibernation causes the monitor resolutions to get messed up and I have to reboot to restore them. That's a pain. I've just turned hibernation off when plugged in now and it's all good (not happy about wasting the power of course... I may take to shutting down overnight, not sure yet). Otherwise, I don't think I really have anything to complain about.

I'm not a big-time gamer, but my gaming needs are being met just fine with this thing. I still play the original Halo, and Postal 2, and I can jack them almost all the way up setting-wise and have a good experience (after activating Hyper-V to get access to performance mode at least). Speaking of which, Hyper-V is actually working quite well for me, which deals with the other problem I had: VMWare wouldn't work with Hyper-V installed... so it's either VMWare but no performance mode or performance mode but no VMWare. While I still think VMWare is better than Hyper-V, it's good enough to make that choice easy.

I'm primarily a developer and it more than meets all my needs in that department. I was a bit worried about "only" having 8Gb RAM, but from experience I knew that would be sufficient, though with not much headroom, and that seems to be the case. No out of memory situations yet and I don't really expect any, though I do kind of worry about down the road a bit. We'll see. The SSD is a bit cramped I have to say, but a 64Gb uSD card more or less solves that problem (and I have an external 1Tb drive to fall back on if need be too).

I still find myself using my Nexus 7 when I'm sitting on the couch though frankly... it's still more convenient in that role then the SP3 is (that kind of quick-access, "take it with me into the bathroom" role- come on, you know we all do it!)... but it's so much nicer to be able to grab the SP3 when I have to go wait for the kids to get out of school and still be able to do REAL work :) No more synching stuff later, just pick up right where I left off. That's sweet! Sure, it's not unique to the SP3, but I think the form factor makes it much nicer. I can't wait for the dock to be released though... I don't like plugging and unplugging cables in all the time.

So yeah, I'm very happy with the purchase, even though it was quite a hefty outlay (256Gb i5 + TypeCover + MS service plan + DP hub + DVI-> DP adapters + 64Gb uSD) I think it's proving well worth it... my "new desktop" performs no worse than my previous desktop and actually benchmarks quite a bit better so it's probably performing better real-world too, though the difference isn't huge if so. All in all, good decision :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo