Surface Pro 3 One Month Later

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
This is my first Surface device, and I can honestly say I'm pleased with it! It's nice to have a tablet that is as powerful as a laptop. I find myself using it everyday and more than my desktop at this point. I just wish it had a place to store the pen on the device itself. I haven't suffered from the wifi dropout, but I do see slow speeds when connected. I trust that it'll be resolved in a future update though. Glad I bought mine.

my desktop which is an i7 and more powerful than my surface, is only being used now for games. ive started using my Surfpr3 for productivity. im in love with mine. D;

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine is used for productivity mostly. However, it's not quite desktop replacement capable. My desktop is primarily used for photo processing, even though it is an older (almost five years old) system.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Surface Pro 2 already replaced my laptop/tablet, so it's no surprise that SP3 took it's spot.

It's a lot better in many ways, and I love that it's more powerful than SPro2 while being lighter than a 1st Gen iPad. The N-Trig turned out to be a lot better than I expected, and while I loved talking crap on iPad users that got their videos cropped/letterboxed, 3:2 did turn out to be more ideal.

The only thing I genuinely don't get along with is connected standby. On my SP2, getting 8-9 hours was normal... and I could give it a fair bit of stress (even through gaming) without the fans kicking into gear. I have NEVER gotten the SP3 to last as long as my SP2 did, it's fans will go crazy over light tasks, Connected Standby hides all power options but "Balanced," and it will ***** at me about my brightness setting affecting my battery if I ever go above 30% brightness. Yeah, I can easily kill it in regedit, but if I kill Connected Standby, it takes the sleep option with it and makes it such that I must completely shut down or my WiFi breaks (and somehow, waking from Hibernate takes longer than coldboot).

I never had this problem with SP2 or even the 1st gen SPro. I didn't mind the way Sleep worked on my SP2, and it seems that the battery drain is roughly 1% every 4 minutes with Connected Standby on. I'm about to just kill it for good and accept the fact that I'll have to power down then turn on per every session. It still coldboots in a couple seconds so that life can't be all bad.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My i7 has indeed replaced my laptop and tablet, and then some. I plan on using it for college and leisure time, so moderate gaming will be done, as well as browsing, word processing, and some course-specific programs. The i7 gets warm when playing Hearthstone, which concerns me, however, since that is not a super graphical game. Maybe I just have to tweak the graphics settings, idk.

Wifi issues started popping up today. Can't believe this hasn't been patched yet.

Last edited:

acegamer

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you run all of the updates on your I7 yet? The WI-fi problems should have been fixed by the last patch. I haven't had any WiFi problems with my I5 at all since the last update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05