Things Stopping Me From Getting A Surface Pro 3

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
when the surface pro3 was first launched they said it cant get any thinner due to the size of the USB 3.0
As far as I remember, there was a post a few month ago stating that the next generation of USB ports will be thinner ( the size of the iPhone 5 and 5S current charger) with that being said, this will allow the next generations of surfaces to be thinner if possible.
the second issue is that surface pro 3 was made before Microsoft acquired Nokia

My main concern is , is the surface pro 3 the ultimate laptop/tablet or should I be waiting for the next big thing from Microsoft after they acquired Nokia?
And about the USB port . is it just an idea that will come to life in a few years or is it coming in 2015 ?

ians18

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Surface is the premium end of the market, yes. How does Nokia have anything to do? They make mostly phones (great at making phones actually), and the 2520 is the only tablet they sell, plus it is ARM based. I doubt the Pro would EVER become ARM based, because it is using the 64-bit intel Haswell processor, the only next step would be the Broadwell series. The next gen may be thinner, but would any of your devices be compatible? No. I doubt they will get thinner, faster maybe. I doubt the USB will be lightening port size even Thunderbolt ports are not that small, wrong purpose, wrong size. The Surface Pro 3 is so thing (the thinnest intel there is) yet you don't think that's enough? Surface (ARM based) may get thinner, and the USB in this case is not the inhibitor for the thinness, the rest of the needed components are. The Surface 2 is the thinnest device with a full USB, not the Pro.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It seems the consensus is always to not wait for something that is speculative. I just went down to check out the SP3 today at Best Buy and am seriously considering upgrading my original Surface Pro. The SP3 is one sweet device IMO.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Normally id agree to not wait but this year is a year of change and imop its a bad time to invest in tech if you can wait. Everything to me right now feels like beta which is why I sold my SP2 and picked up a S2 to hold me over for 4-6 months.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what data everyone is looking at but for the size and capability of the SP3 it seems at least to this point the pinnacle for this year on mobility and power. I'm sure in the next 6 months to a year it will get thinner and faster, but I doubt it will be significant. SP3 isn't the jack of all trades but it's darn close. So far I'm very impressed by the SP3, this is coming from an Apple guy. Sure, there are aspects that can get better, and will but from my point of view the SP3 is an Impressive device and should be on the radar for heavy mobile users and travelers.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
How does SP3 being design and made before Microsoft acquire Nokia have anything to do with your decision?
I don't think it should, research this product based on third party reviews and personal experiences. I don't think this product has anything to do with the Nokia/Microsoft business ventures. The SP3 can speak for itself on its own merits.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a possibility USB 3.1 Type C could become the new standard for USB. With smaller port size, this will allow devices to manufactured thinner.
I'm not too concerned about this at this point because all of my printers, scanners, USB Jump drives, etc. all use the current size USB.
I'm sure adapters will be made, but at the moment I don't have to worry about keeping up with an adapter.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if the connector size will change or not, but excited to see that the next big thing in USB is the integration of power. USB is currently the only universal "plug" of its type in the world and the plan is to move to it as the universal power and data source around the globe.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The only thing stopping me from getting a SP3 is that a Broadwell version should be out some time in the next 6-7 months which should be truly fanless and even thinner again which will help reduce weight and make it easier to be a true laptop in hybrid form. I may not be able to wait though as I will probably need a new laptop in the next 3 months, not sure my 2011 Mac Book Air will last me until the SP4.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who says they're waiting for "the next big thing" should probably wait.
Not because there's something better coming (there's ALWAYS something better coming) but because it's a sign of hesitation. If you really needed a new laptop right now, you wouldn't be comparing it to products that MIGHT be out in the next 6 months, you'd be comparing it to products that are available RIGHT NOW. And on that basis the SP3 is the best.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who says they're waiting for "the next big thing" should probably wait.
Not because there's something better coming (there's ALWAYS something better coming) but because it's a sign of hesitation. If you really needed a new laptop right now, you wouldn't be comparing it to products that MIGHT be out in the next 6 months, you'd be comparing it to products that are available RIGHT NOW. And on that basis the SP3 is the best.

Agree. I mean, we buy these thing to _use them_, right? Sure, you can wait six months for a Broadwell version to be released, but I'd rather enjoy using today's SP3 in the meantime. And it's not like today's SP3 is going to suddenly be useless just because a newer version is released.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
personally I'm waiting for either an updated SP3 with Broadwell SoC or even a SP4 (if they decide to up the version number after the SoC update)

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
when the surface pro3 was first launched they said it cant get any thinner due to the size of the USB 3.0
As far as I remember, there was a post a few month ago stating that the next generation of USB ports will be thinner ( the size of the iPhone 5 and 5S current charger) with that being said, this will allow the next generations of surfaces to be thinner if possible.

My main concern is , is the surface pro 3 the ultimate laptop/tablet or should I be waiting for the next big thing from Microsoft after they acquired Nokia?
And about the USB port . is it just an idea that will come to life in a few years or is it coming in 2015 ?

At this point, I don't think the change in USB port size will happen soon. If it does, billions of peripherals will either become useless or buggy when used with adapters.
USB 3.0 port's size was maintained to make it compatible with older USBs.

And to wish for something thinner and then enclose it in a thick case is ridiculous. Thicker makes it sturdier without a case. Thinner makes it very fragile. Thus, the need for cases.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Two things:

1 - The next generation of USB ports is still a long way. Unless you want a device that will have a next-gen USB port that you will not be using with basically any existing hardware, I'd say that shouldn't be a concern. MicroUSB would even be a better option than going with any next-gen USB ports.
I wouldn't expect the next generation of USB ports to come that soon either.

2 - Microsoft didn't acquire Nokia.
Microsoft bought employees from Nokia's ex-D&S division. At any rate, that will have nothing to do with the Surface, as the Surface comes from Microsoft itself and the ex-Nokia employees were placed in Microsoft Mobile, a separate company that Microsoft created. Also, probably half of those employees will be sacked soon as Microsoft will obviously not keep such a large team on Mobile.
Microsoft Mobile will not be producing the Surfaces either. If anything, they'll be producing Lumia tablets which will very likely be WP/RT tablets. MOBILE tablets. The Surface will likely remain a full blown Windows hybrid that will come from another division (kinda like the Xbox) and it will remain the ultimate laptop/tablet until another OEM or Microsoft itself replaces it with the next generation, as usual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99