Default Mail Client

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
So far, my conversion from MacAir to SP3 has been pretty painless. However, there are 2 areas that I really hope I can get clarity on but will be answered with 1 question.

I use Google Apps for everything. I do realize there's no way to sync my Google Calendar to the Calendar App here, so I will live with the desktop version for now.

However, when I need to forward links, files, etc, and I am prompted to do so, Outlook pops up as the way to send these via email. I do not use Outlook nor will I ever. I use Gmail strictly.

So, if for instance, I want to email my team a file from within a browser, or a photo, from the SP3, and click the mail icon, Outlook pops open despite the fact I do not have it set up.

Is there a way to change the default email to Gmail instead, despite there not being an actual App associated with it?

I was able to do this on the MacAir and it was critical for my work.

I just scheduled a GoToMeeting and when I want to email the link, Outlook again pops open. It's a PITA to copy and paste the text each time I wish to send something.

Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone else also use an App from the Windows Marketplace that is a good one for Google Calendar? The one I downloaded does not auto refresh so I need to open it every time I want to see updates on the tiles.

Thank you

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is or not. I've been away from Windows for almost 4 years so not sure how that works. I clicked that link you sent but not opening properly.

I'm just wondering why it would open Outlook, a Desktop program, and if I can change to open Gmail via browser?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is or not. I've been away from Windows for almost 4 years so not sure how that works. I clicked that link you sent but not opening properly.

I'm just wondering why it would open Outlook, a Desktop program, and if I can change to open Gmail via browser?

Hmmm... link works for me. Just "Bing" "how to change default mail client internet explorer" and it should come up.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think I got my answer and it's as I feared.

Microsoft makes it VERY hard to use anything Google related. What they need to understand is that there are millions of people that use Google Apps and many more that use gmail. That also means using Google Calendar as well.

Apple and Google battle all the time, but it's extremely simple and easy to use their programs on each type of device. I own a MacAir, but also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014 tablet.

I went with the SP3 because I liked the form factor, power, and ability to use as tablet as well.

I am very disappointed now to learn that Microsoft makes it incredibility difficult to sync across their devices to Google Apps or anything else for that matter. I don't get it. I'd be happy to tell all 23 users in my company that the SP3 is the device for us. I cannot. No one will want to make the change if something simply as Google Calendar Sync and changing default email to Gmail is this hard.

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Its actually Google that refuses to support Windows 8.x not Microsoft. With that said you could use Outlook with GMAIL using IMAP, it would give you a full mail client and GMAIL.

Other options would be use a Modern UI Mail Client like MetroMail and set it as your default client.

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Try this to default to the browser-based Gmail: Log in to Gmail in Google Chrome, and click the icon in that looks like two diamonds overlapping in your URL entry field. (This icon is to the left of the favorites star in Google Chrome). When you see the prompt to "Allow Gmail (mail.google.com) to open all email links," select "Use Gmail."

Try this to default to the browser-based Google Calendar: Log in to Google Calendar in Google Chrome, and click the icon in that looks like two diamonds overlapping in your URL entry field. (This icon is to the left of the favorites star in Google Chrome). When you see the prompt to "Allow Google Calendar (Google) to open all web calendar links," select "Use Google Calendar."

I hope this works for you.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Its actually Google that refuses to support Windows 8.x not Microsoft. With that said you could use Outlook with GMAIL using IMAP, it would give you a full mail client and GMAIL.

Other options would be use a Modern UI Mail Client like MetroMail and set it as your default client.

Outlook I refuse to use as my experience in the past is that it really bogs down the OS and I've had nothing but issues with it.

However, I did just download the MetroMail App to try and it's pretty slick. So I will attempt to use that as well.

Part of my issue is that I use an add on extension for Chrome that allows me to track email via SFDC and I really like that. However, I'm willing to sacrifice that side of it for a better alternative. Thanks

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Try this to default to the browser-based Gmail: Log in to Gmail in Google Chrome, and click the icon in that looks like two diamonds overlapping in your URL entry field. (This icon is to the left of the favorites star in Google Chrome). When you see the prompt to "Allow Gmail (mail.google.com) to open all email links," select "Use Gmail."

Try this to default to the browser-based Google Calendar: Log in to Google Calendar in Google Chrome, and click the icon in that looks like two diamonds overlapping in your URL entry field. (This icon is to the left of the favorites star in Google Chrome). When you see the prompt to "Allow Google Calendar (Google) to open all web calendar links," select "Use Google Calendar."

I hope this works for you.

Wow...Never even knew this was an option. I just followed instructions and will see what happens. Thank you for the tip!

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I use all Google Services, and was quite disappointed to see that the Calendar wouldn?t sync with Google servers, and the default mail app doesn?t display labels and tabs the way I use them in Gmail.
I?ve downloaded MetroMail from the Windows Store, and have it set as my default email client.
I also downloaded OneCalendar, and have it set as my default as well.
I have several Gmail accounts, and I?m able to switch between my Email accounts easily with MetroMail.
I?m also able to see events from all of my accounts in OneCalendar. They also update info in the live tile of the metro UI.

lionofthesouth

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I have just downloaded Metromail.
The only thing i dislike is when reading an email, the top third of the screen is wasted as it shows the email tile and other details, which IMO at least, should disappear when you start scrolling, but it doesn't.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

gmail supports its own proprietary standard as well as the open standards for email, contacts, and calendar. This is why Google and Apple work so well together. Apple also supports the open standards. However, MS only supports outdated standards and activesync. They refuse to support open standards.
Outlook 2013 only supports the latest mobile activesync (14.0). MS is clearly pushing companies to upgrade the way MS wants them to upgrade. Im not deffending Google, but MS clearly isnt the victim here. The outcomes are a result of them trying to slow down open standards at the benefit of their technology.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss