Why Wouldn't an HDMI be on the Surface Pro?

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why an HDMI output wouldn't be on the Surface Pros. Any of them. In fact I'm shocked and confused as to why. That seems to be the only thing missing.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
People can argue all they want between HDMI vs. DisplayPort, but one thing is certain-

HDMI = $10,000 per high-volume manufacturer plus $0.04 per device
DisplayPort = Royalty-free

Not that Microsoft or Apple can;t pay for it. But you can cascade DisplayPort for multiple display monitors. DisplayPort is best suited for computers, while HDMI for Home Theater.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
People can argue all they want between HDMI vs. DisplayPort, but one thing is certain-

HDMI = $10,000 per high-volume manufacturer plus $0.04 per device
DisplayPort = Royalty-free

Not that Microsoft or Apple can;t pay for it. But you can cascade DisplayPort for multiple display monitors. DisplayPort is best suited for computers, while HDMI for Home Theater.

You forgot to mention that all you need is an adapter and you have HDMI output.

The other thing you miss is that lots of peripherals are HDMI these days.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You forgot to mention that all you need is an adapter and you have HDMI output.

The other thing you miss is that lots of peripherals are HDMI these days.

True. I didn't mention that hoping it was not the OP's concern. :) I have one costs $6. He he

y4yge2aq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
As I said, Home Theater. HDMI was around like 3 years earlier than DisplayPort and supported by more manufactures in the consumer space.

Does it really matter for a computer? Unless I'm configuring HTPC then it would matter to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I found this article which does a good job of explaining HDMI vs DisplayPort: hdmi-vs-displayport-which-display-interface-reigns-supreme

Here's the summary from the article:
Better desktop displays, desktop PCs, and all-in-one PCs will support DisplayPort in addition to HDMI. Laptops, however, have less real estate available for connectors. For the most part, consumer laptops will provide HDMI, while business-oriented models will support DisplayPort.

If you plan to use a laptop with a stand-alone display, you won't regret paying a little more to get a model that offers DisplayPort: Its support for multiple displays and its ability to connect to nearly any other type of monitor with an inexpensive adapter give it greater flexibility than HDMI possesses.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The licensing issue is a big one, but HDMI is also a larger connector (Surface 2 uses microHDMI which still needs an adapter to use to an HDMI in anyway) and more importantly, doesn't have the same bandwidth.

The maximum resolution of HDMI 1.4 (which is what most devices still have) is 1920x1080 @ 60Hz or 4096x2160 @ only 30 Hz.
DisplayPort 1.2 can do 4k at 60 Hz or it can be used for multiple monitors at lower resolutions (such as dual 1440p displays).

HDMI 2.0 levels the playing field a bit, but support is still limited.

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
you can get mini display port to hdmi cables very cheaply now. places like monoprice.
so you dont need an adapter.
hdmi is there, just with a different connector.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
you can get mini display port to hdmi cables very cheaply now. places like monoprice.
so you dont need an adapter.
hdmi is there, just with a different connector.

Isn't what you are describing an "adaptor?"

Real world use... in business at least... you never know what you need to connect to. Possibly an old VGA projector one day or an HDMI one the next. My one "adaptor" will connect my SP3 to either.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Isn't what you are describing an "adaptor?"

Real world use... in business at least... you never know what you need to connect to. Possibly an old VGA projector one day or an HDMI one the next. My one "adaptor" will connect my SP3 to either.
Could you provide a link to the type of you have? I have a mini Display to HDMI adapter. Thinking about getting one that can work with other peripherals.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

alienking70

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
OK school me up a bit.... I have the surface pro. I have a MicroUSB HD Video Out port, is this not HDMI with a different connector?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the daisy chain feature of DP is the little known fact that makes it much more versatile.

yeah, daisychaining is the big win for PCs. You could hook up 3 DP monitors (is there a limit???) to a Surface Pro/2/3.

Right now, to get multiple monitors on more traditional PCs, you need a video card with lots of outputs (one per monitor) or use a video card in combination with onboard video. still clunky with multiple cables coming from the PC.

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This might be a bit late.

What I am talking about is a cable that terminates in an hdmi on one end and the other goes to a mini display port.
I don't think that qualifies as an adapter, coz then a USB a to mini is an adapter.
The point is you carry only one cable coz the other end goes to hdmi.

See link.

Search result for hdmi to mini display - Monoprice.com
Don't need to buy an adapter. You sp3 will only accept mini display port anyways.
Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo