Can I buy a Surface from the US Microsoft store in the UK and ship it here for the US price?

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't afford the UK prices, so I was wondering if I could buy it from the US Microsoft Store or the US best buy and have it shipped to the UK.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't afford the UK prices, so I was wondering if I could buy it from the US Microsoft Store or the US best buy and have it shipped to the UK.
The US warranty is not valid in Europe and vice versa. Yes, they also do know the difference - different keys in the serial number. It is never wise to buy gray market unless you really want to pay for a third party service contract, or want to ship it back across the Atlantic for service.

ikilby

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
If you want to buy on the US Microsoft store using a UK credit card you cannot do that as Microsoft want a US billing address for your credit card.
The only way to buy is to buy directly in person from a Microsoft store or Best Buy.
I did this previously for the Pro 1 and have just done it again with the Pro 3.
I am well aware of the lack of international Warranty issue working for a US company I am in the US frequently so its not an issue. I will say though that a company of Microsoft's size should have a worldwide warranty as the HW will be the same in UK anyway.

Was well worth the savings as far as I am concerned as the UK prices are too steep.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, a friend bought his SP3 in Canada at the MS Store in Toronto. I was there with him when he bought it. He specifically asked whether his device would be covered in the UK where he lives and the answer both from the MS Store Manager and the MS website was that it was as long as the device is being sold in the country in which the warranty service is required. We are talking here about the 1-year limited manufacturer's warranty.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
The US warranty is not valid in Europe and vice versa. Yes, they also do know the difference - different keys in the serial number. It is never wise to buy gray market unless you really want to pay for a third party service contract, or want to ship it back across the Atlantic for service.

Why is the warranty not valid if I buy from USA and use UPS to ship to the UK? I would be buying it legit from Best Buy (because of the blue type cover)

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why is the warranty not valid if I buy from USA and use UPS to ship to the UK? I would be buying it legit from Best Buy (because of the blue type cover)

The warranty states that a Surface purchased in the US is only covered in the US or Canada. You could send it back to the US for warranty service but wouldn't be able to get it serviced in the UK.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The warranty states that a Surface purchased in the US is only covered in the US or Canada. You could send it back to the US for warranty service but wouldn't be able to get it serviced in the UK.

Can you provide a link to support this?

If a Surface bought in Canada can be serviced in the UK, I don't see why the same bought in the US cannot be serviced in the UK. The only thing is that a replacement machine will be a localized one.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
nvm guys,
student discounts for the win!
I can save almost ?100 on the UK surface with a student discount.

I'm still buying the blue type cover from the US though lol

thanks for your help

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
nvm guys,

thanks for your help

There's a thread on here for "education" deals in the U.S. too. Save 10%. It's a great deal if you can get it.

Between that and my work discount for software (Office Pro, Visio Pro), I saved well over $1000!

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
nvm guys,

thanks for your help

You can get the blue cover from the Microsoft store UK website ;) Surface Pro Type Cover - Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store although you'll need to wait until it is released at the end of august but if you get the SP3 from the UK store with the student discount, wouldn't be a problem

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you want to buy on the US Microsoft store using a UK credit card you cannot do that as Microsoft want a US billing address for your credit card.
The only way to buy is to buy directly in person from a Microsoft store or Best Buy.
I did this previously for the Pro 1 and have just done it again with the Pro 3.
I am well aware of the lack of international Warranty issue working for a US company I am in the US frequently so its not an issue. I will say though that a company of Microsoft's size should have a worldwide warranty as the HW will be the same in UK anyway.

Was well worth the savings as far as I am concerned as the UK prices are too steep.

How much did you save? I'm curious as I am thinking of visiting friends there in the near future and I want to get the SP3 so it may work out :p.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes