What would you do??

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Because this would never, ever, EVER happen to me and trash talking is completely free...

I would slam the Surface 3 on the table, snap that keyboard in place, and dare them to come up with a problem I couldn't handle.

*draws imaginary line on $10,000 meeting table*

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Well...taking both as it is not a formal presentation and I'm there to consult on stuff they will be showing to me more than me showing them. Not even sure if I will even be at HQ yet or at a site they control for the project I am working on. I actually hope it is the latter as I'll be able to see more kewl stuff! I do have images I may need to share...just not sure if the phone will suffice as I'd much rather pull out the Surface (sans keyboard) and swipe through my images. May bring along an iPad mini for that just in case. :winktongue:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Believe me, they WON'T CARE. Many Apple employees use Microsoft products. Macs are produced using Windows. And folks at Redmond carry around iPhones and iPads.
Unless your love for one platform affects your ability to do your job well, they won't care what phone or tablet you're using. Don't go in there to show them off though. Use them normally as you'd use them on a day-to-day basis.
And who knows, maybe one of those senior folks at Apple even have a 1020 too ;)

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Believe me, they WON'T CARE. Many Apple employees use Microsoft products. Macs are produced using Windows. And folks at Redmond carry around iPhones and iPads.
Unless your love for one platform affects your ability to do your job well, they won't care what phone or tablet you're using. Don't go in there to show them off though. Use them normally as you'd use them on a day-to-day basis.
And who knows, maybe one of those senior folks at Apple even have a 1020 too ;)

LOL no MS people do not carry around iPhones at work LOL I work with MS people every day they get free MS hardware phones and tablets. LOL they carry around iPhone or non MS stuff is just not true.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
LOL no MS people do not carry around iPhones at work LOL I work with MS people every day they get free MS hardware phones and tablets. LOL they carry around iPhone or non MS stuff is just not true.

Next time, ask them to see their personal phones outside the MS premisses ;P

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well yea, but that's not what was said. Outside yes but not at work or with clients if they want to keep their job.

They won't lose their jobs because of that. Unless they're in the evangelist group, no one is fired based on personal choices. Besides, if you're not an Apple employee, there's even less reason for them to care.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally a lot of people leave their phones on the table. As soon as that happens put your Lumia 1520 next to an iPhone, lean over to the guy and whisper "ain't you a bit too old for Fischer price toys"

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be confident at all about making that statement. Not everyone in Redmond uses Windows Phones. I've heard this from people on the inside.

Yep, Jerry berg (or Barnacules, if you watch his YouTube channel), the guy who got everyone in a guessing game when he said something big is coming to Windows Phone, uses an iPhone - and he works at MS.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I always try to use my awesome 1520 and Surface Pro (or in this case even awesomer Surface Pro 3) in a show-off-y way when I'm in public, and especially if I'm in a room with a bunch of apple devices.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Hmm..well I don't know if I would be over critical of any of their products,since I was going in there..regardless of how I personally feel about them. That would seem to me to be counter productive to whatever I hoped to achieve there..

I'm quite sure that my 1520 if left out would draw some interest especially if someone there had a new 5.5" iPhone running IOS 8 and wanted to do a side by side with the incomplete os's....that certainly would be kinda cool...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Really? Obviously you've never been anywhere near the MacBU, which is the largest software developer outside of Apple for OS X/iOS. And there are a fair number of non-MacBU guys too who use iPhones and don't get fired.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Really? Obviously you've never been anywhere near the MacBU, which is the largest software developer outside of Apple for OS X/iOS. And there are a fair number of non-MacBU guys too who use iPhones and don't get fired.

You are right, I haven't. Seeing as I was talking about microsoft I don't get the response.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
You are right, I haven't. Seeing as I was talking about microsoft I don't get the response.

You don't? The Macintosh Business Unit (= MacBU, get it?) or Apex is a unit inside Microsoft. Do you know they released Excel for Macs before the Windows version? They make Office for OS X and iPad now, among other software. What devices do you think all the 'Softies working there use? And they're not the only ones in the organisation who bring their iPhones to work either. Microsoft is a huge company. Just because you happen to work with some MS employees every day does not mean your experience of their company's device policies is universal. I can bet they have no official anti-iDevice policy at MS, unless it's an overzealous manager acting high and mighty or maybe an unsaid thing especially for those working in their hardware units.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I sure wouldn't make a big deal about your toys, but I can't imagine it's a huge issue.

I guess it depends on what you're negotiating and how you're doing it. You certainly won't be able to act like a gushing ******, but that might not be an issue. If you're trying to get them to sell devices to your company at a discount, using a Windows device actually proves the point that they need to do something to get into your office. If you're a component manufacturer, selling them on your widget, then I'd expect them to be swayed by performance, which may require a Windows device to demonstrate. If your company primarily makes Windows software and you're trying to get access to their APIs to right games for the Mac, no big because you're explicitly on Windows moving toward Apple. If you're selling furniture, it's probably a non-issue, too. AFAIK, all the iCloud servers are Microsoft and HP.

On the other hand, if you're there to do a presentation on how well your stuff integrates with Apple products, it might be bad form to use PowerPoint on a Surface. Web design might be a coin flip, depending on how "core" the site would be to Apple business.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You don't? The Macintosh Business Unit (= MacBU, get it?) or Apex is a unit inside Microsoft. Do you know they released Excel for Macs before the Windows version? They make Office for OS X and iPad now, among other software. What devices do you think all the 'Softies working there use? And they're not the only ones in the organisation who bring their iPhones to work either. Microsoft is a huge company. Just because you happen to work with some MS employees every day does not mean your experience of their company's device policies is universal. I can bet they have no official anti-iDevice policy at MS, unless it's an overzealous manager acting high and mighty or maybe an unsaid thing especially for those working in their hardware units.

I think we have established that folks bring whatever device they use to any meeting regardless of Apple, Android, Windows, or other. And when Apple finally releases their 5.5" size screen taking the phone market by storm with this new innovation, everyone will be on a level playing field. :)

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I think we have established that folks bring whatever device they use to any meeting regardless of Apple, Android, Windows, or other.

Definitely. Unless my work had something to do with the devices I would never hesitate to walk into Cupertino and use a WP, or conversely into Redmond and use an iPhone. As far as flashing your devices unnecessarily goes, why talk only about meetings at Apple or Microsoft? I'd say anyone who does that anywhere is just a very shallow person. Coming to employees of either company personally owning and using the other's products (which was what I was replying to), I doubt either company would mind very much. Work device is different, but what I choose to buy with my own money is no employer's damn business and I'm pretty sure they'll be breaking some laws if they state otherwise.

And when Apple finally releases their 5.5" size screen taking the phone market by storm with this new innovation, everyone will be on a level playing field. :)

Ha ha I know what you mean! I know some people who I'm sure will be coming up to me with their bigger iPhones talking about how Apple has again revolutionised the phone market with larger screens.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Update... devices never left my bag/coat....I wish I could go into more detail, but it was the coolest meeting I have ever had in my life and I was very lucky to see things that I never could have imagined being allowed to see.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Update... devices never left my bag/coat....I wish I could go into more detail, but it was the coolest meeting I have ever had in my life and I was very lucky to see things that I never could have imagined being allowed to see.

Thanks for the update. Glad it went well for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12