Surface Pro 3: Leave in sleep mode or turn off?

tajones65

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Was wondering what the pro's & cons are for just leaving my SP 3 on all the time - allowing it to go into sleep mode when not using? Any issues with never fully shutting down?

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You shut down a computer mainly because the mechanical hard drive does not like being jostled while it is running. That is not an issue with the SP3. Normally I just let InstantGo handle the sleep functions. I do, however shut it down when I pack it in my backpack to ride my bicycle to work. Just an old habit I suppose.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pros to always on:
Instant On
Stays Connected
Can take right where you left off.

Cons:
Likely needs a restart every so often anyway to keep it in tip top shape.
Uses power.

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
...Cons:
Likely needs a restart every so often anyway to keep it in tip top shape.
Uses power.
The occasional restart of Windows probably has some merit. However, the patching schedule may be sufficient for that purpose. As to power use, Microsoft said the battery charge could last 100 years in sleep mode. If that is so, the amount of power used to start it up may be more than the amount used to maintain it in InstantGo mode.

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I think what Panos Panay meant is the amount of power drawn during "sleep" mode is so small, a fully charged battery has enough current to deliver that much power for a very long time. I'm quite sure he did not mean a Lithium-Ion battery could live that long.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I think what Panos Panay meant is the amount of power drawn during "sleep" mode is so small, a fully charged battery has enough current to deliver that much power for a very long time. I'm quite sure he did not mean a Lithium-Ion battery could live that long.
"Another point that I didn't make and haven't given out is, It literally has a standby time of a year". That is a direct quote. I don't believe it.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
With SSD I don't really have the need to put a device in sleep state. The bootup time is so fast that I don't mind the few extra seconds, plus I'm not a fan of hibernation and sleep; there is always the potential for problems.

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

He said it will last for 1 year. This is not impossible given that after 4 hours of connected standby, SP3 will turn into hibernation, which pretty much use no battery (battery will still discharge just like all other normal batteries not in use, but I don't think 42,000 mAH will be discharged completely in a year with no use). I don't think they said it will last 100 year though.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I would assume it kicks into an even deeper sleep, then full on hibernation. I think it would be a question if the normal discharge of the battery (if off) would last a year.

RunJer

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I must have a problem because when I close with sleep mode I'm loosing 4 - 5% of charge per hour. I checked the batteryreport and the device goes into connected standby within about 2 hours. So for now I just turn it off to save the charge which other than not being able to leave work open takes about 10 seconded more.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know... I left my SP3 on for a week in sleep mode or whatever it is (100% charge, just closed the cover) and it was completely drained... Is that normal or not?

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
It should stay in deep-sleep (hibernate) and use almost no battery at all. If it is running down the battery when not in use, there is certainly a problem. Most likely you have an app installed that polls the network on a regular basis. I recommend you use Search for Performance Monitor. Use it to monitor what your SP3 is doing over time. Because it is so powerful, it is not an easy tool to use. Still, if you want to solve this, you need to understand what is happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs