Displayport and USB Connections

Chris Nineham

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I've just received my Surface Pro 3 and I love it! Anyway, I now want to invest in a new monitor and I'm trying to get a concrete answer about whether Displayport can carry USB.

I was looking at a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M. If I connect it via the Displayport on my SP3 will I be able to use the USB ports on the monitor itself for my wireless keyboard, ext hard drive etc etc??

Thanks!!!!!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've just received my Surface Pro 3 and I love it! Anyway, I now want to invest in a new monitor and I'm trying to get a concrete answer about whether Displayport can carry USB.

I was looking at a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M. If I connect it via the Displayport on my SP3 will I be able to use the USB ports on the monitor itself for my wireless keyboard, ext hard drive etc etc??

Thanks!!!!!
While DisplayPort 1.2 specification does support Auxiliary signal, which can be used for USB. The Surface Pro, nor any graphics card solution, nor monitors available at the consumer market supports it, as it is optional, and it's not defined to know what to send.

DockPort is a VESA standard of DisplayPort which says that DisplayPort must support USB 3.1 (yes, 3.1 not 3.0), as well as DC in.
Look for DockPort certification on product for support. So far, you have no products or graphics card that supports it, because USB 3.1 is not available yet.

Maybe the Surface Pro 4 with Intel next gen GPU (Broadwell) that might be a reality. But we have to see if Intel will implement DockPort support, let alone USB 3.1.

So for now, as no monitor support DockPort, let alone any product, let alone the SUrface Pro 3, you need to connect a USB plug from the Surface Pro 3 to the monitor, for using it's hub. DisplayPort will only carry video and audio to the monitor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett