Uneven kickstand?

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I recently got a SP3. I'm loving it so far but I just realized the kickstand is uneven. When I'm using it if I tap it kinda hard it wobbles to one side, just like a chair with uneven legs. Is anyone else's like this? Is it worth returning?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Mine behaves like this sometimes. And so does my brother's. I would consider this normal. No need to return. Just adjust the left or ride side of the kickstand until both sides match. Since the kickstand can be put into almost any position now it doesn't have a spot to lock in place or stop like before. So it is possible for the left and right side not to perfectly match up causing this wobbling.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Mine behaves like this sometimes. And so does my brother's. I would consider this normal. No need to return. Just adjust the left or ride side of the kickstand until both sides match. Since the kickstand can be put into almost any position now it doesn't have a spot to lock in place or stop like before. So it is possible for the left and right side not to perfectly match up causing this wobbling.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! That helped alot and cleared up alot of things.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Hope this helps!

I am sorry but the device has two hinge points set equidistantly on a rectangular frame attaching a machined piece of rectangular metal. The only way this logic works is if you are operating in another dimension or have altered the physical laws of this universe. If the kickstand is not level you have a problem with the way it was aligned and attached. That you can tweak it a bit to work doesn't change the fact that you are looking at a manufacturing defect.

DrWMJ

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, one might want to consider this issue a design limitation rather than a manufacturing defect. The rectangular metal kickstand is flexible, and with such friction in the hinges, it is possible to pull one side of the kickstand out farther than the other. I have gotten used to using two hands to extend the kickstand at this point, and do not get any "wobble" as a consequence.
I too, would consider this phenomenon to be "normal" for the SP3.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry but the device has two hinge points set equidistantly on a rectangular frame attaching a machined piece of rectangular metal. The only way this logic works is if you are operating in another dimension or have altered the physical laws of this universe. If the kickstand is not level you have a problem with the way it was aligned and attached. That you can tweak it a bit to work doesn't change the fact that you are looking at a manufacturing defect.
No. Since the kickstand is not completely rigid (it has flex), what is happening is that the two sides are not being pulled out perfectly evenly. This is not a defect, but a limitation of the metal, of the size and thickness that it is.

Well, one might want to consider this issue a design limitation rather than a manufacturing defect. The rectangular metal kickstand is flexible, and with such friction in the hinges, it is possible to pull one side of the kickstand out farther than the other. I have gotten used to using two hands to extend the kickstand at this point, and do not get any "wobble" as a consequence.
I too, would consider this phenomenon to be "normal" for the SP3.
THIS.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Although it would be cool to be in another dimension or be able to alter the physical laws of the Universe :). I did not mention the flex in the kickstand making this scenario possible. I thought that the OP would understand what I meant but did not consider other readers who may or may not have a lot of experience with the device. Thanks to DrWMJ and hopmedic for further clarifying on the situation!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is a downside of the new (and otherwise awesome) kickstand. Opening it with just one hand will likely cause this due to the flex already mentioned. One option is to use two hands when opening it or then just altering the other side necessarily.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, this is a downside of the new (and otherwise awesome) kickstand. Opening it with just one hand will likely cause this due to the flex already mentioned. One option is to use two hands when opening it or then just altering the other side necessarily.

Or just open it with one hand and then just push on the top of the tablet to even it out...

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I never had that issue with my Surface RT and Surface 2 (nor did I hear about anyone with either of those having that issue). What is it about the SP3 that causes this?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I never had that issue with my Surface RT and Surface 2 (nor did I hear about anyone with either of those having that issue). What is it about the SP3 that causes this?

Probably because there is no set position. Since there is no set stop point (or points as in the S2), pulling on one side with the tight friction in both hinges will stop the side you are pulling on further out than the other side due to the slight flex in the kickstand.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Probably because there is no set position. Since there is no set stop point (or points as in the S2), pulling on one side with the tight friction in both hinges will stop the side you are pulling on further out than the other side due to the slight flex in the kickstand.
ah, that certainly explains it. I thought that there WAS one stop position but continuous after that.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I guess you could say there is one for the first position where the friction is looser before it really kicks in, but pulling out on one side definitely flexes that side out further as the kickstand does flex slightly with the tight friction mechanism.

nrnw

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I recently got a SP3. I'm loving it so far but I just realized the kickstand is uneven. When I'm using it if I tap it kinda hard it wobbles to one side, just like a chair with uneven legs. Is anyone else's like this? Is it worth returning?

I was going to put this question in the forum as well. What I observe with my SP3 is that the left hinge (with the screen facing me) is firm whereas the right hinge wobbles (all the way up to about 50 degrees when moving the kickstand). Beyond that as the hinge mechanism stiffens up further, the wobble is almost gone. Not sure if this is a design limitation, manufacturing issue, or a non-issue. It bothers me but does not impact my work, so i'd live with it unless it gets worse (not really worried because I have the 2 year Complete for Surface).

Sometimes I have this issue with the wobble when placed on a hard surface but as another poster pointed out, a simple readjustment of the kickstand fixes this very quickly, so again, not worried (I hope I am not messing up on my knowledge of science but I would say my desk at work is not perfectly flat - a cheap one actually - so it is probably the table, not the SP3).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99