Which drivers do you update manually?

Danielo290881

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand it anyway.
I want to know which drivers you are updating manually. I have updated the intel graphic driver to 10.18.10.3621 after the July Firmware Update manually (and after that i deactivated the Firmware Update cause it recognized i ve got another graphics driver)

But there are other drivers outside which could be newer as pre-installed on Surface Pro 3.

I've seen that the Intel SATA AHCI Controller is driver version 9.4.0.1023. I think it could be updated to 13.1.0.1058 with original Intel Driver.
Intel Management Driver could even be newer than on Surface Pro 3 preinstalled.

What do you think absout updating some drivers manually? Which one did you update ? Do you know a trick that we don't have to deactive any firmware update after we installed newer drivers on our surface as from Microsoft delivered?

Thanks and with best regards
Daniel

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The simple answer is none. Microsoft built the Surface Pro 3 and Microsoft knows best which driver versions should be used. Going around Microsoft for hardware drivers is, in my opinion, going to cause problems sooner or later.

The only time the above rule can be violated is when the default driver does not provide some feature, capability or setting you want and a 3rd party driver does. For example, some people have replaced the stylus driver to get extra settings. As long as you are willing to accept the potential or actual problems introduced, then go ahead.

InfiniteRefrain

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
While the companies will release new drivers, MS will test them prior to release via Windows Update. There has always been a slight delay in that regard ( at least from what I have seen).

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done any myself, but I have been thinking of testing the actual Intel VGA drivers, if nothing else, to get the "Profile" feature, as I use two external monitors at work (with an eVGA DP hub), but I need to set the "Zoom" to 100% otherwise it looks like I'm running in 800x600.
The problem with that is when I take my SP3 home everything is super-tiny. So it would be nice to have a "Profile" to use at work and one to use at home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon