Think it's about time I just give up on Connected Standby?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot about the SP3 I've liked over the SP2, but all since it came out of the box the battery life has been significantly worse and the fans will kick on during extremely light tasks.

Just to put the situation into perspective; I've done nothing but sit on WPCentral for the past 38 minutes and I've lost 13% of my battery life (if you're doing the math, that means I get just under 5hrs battery life)... where even a bad day on my Surface Pro 2 resulted in a 7hr run. Connected Standby hides my power options, hides my time remaining estimate, it seems like the only mode on this computer in which being even a little bit over 30% brightness makes it gripe about "your current brightness might reduce battery life"... and it has total control over the "Sleep" option so if I kill it in regedit, I can only shut down, restart and hibernate. Killing Connected Standby does seem to solve my problems with battery life though, and my fans exhibit 'normal' behavior.

I've tried life with the power button/lid close making it hibernate, and it not only seems to take longer than a coldboot - but breaks my WiFi every single time. I'm about ready to submit to a life where I simply power down and coldboot all the time. Anyone else do this already? ...or have any solutions to my Connected Standby woes?

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Clearly something is keeping the CPU busy. You have wonderful tools in Windows to track CPU use by process. Just determine what it is and decide if having that process constantly active is worth the battery use.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I am getting crazy battery life on mine....lasts 10-12 hours for "my normal use"....and let me say it isnt just sitting around either! I would unplug at 7 am and around 7 pm still have 15-20%.

INSANE!!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am getting crazy battery life on mine....lasts 10-12 hours for "my normal use"....and let me say it isnt just sitting around either! I would unplug at 7 am and around 7 pm still have 15-20%.

INSANE!!

Perhaps you might define what "normal use" means to you? No offense but I would also love to see a battery report using the powercfg function documenting. Twelve hours of normal use as defined by Microsoft, etc., is not physically possible given the system power draws, design constraints, and battery capacity. It is not a matter of "I changed to some aggressively low power settings" (which is not possible anyway unless you disable hyper-V), with use as defined by Microsoft, other tablet manufacturers, or reviewer, that is beyond capacity and the laws governing chemistry, thermodynamics, physics, etc,, really are immutable. Of course if you mean you use it occasionally during the day then of course it will last twelve hours but that is documenting use history not battery life.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you might define what "normal use" means to you? No offense but I would also love to see a battery report using the powercfg function documenting. Twelve hours of normal use as defined by Microsoft, etc., is not physically possible given the system power draws, design constraints, and battery capacity. It is not a matter of "I changed to some aggressively low power settings" (which is not possible anyway unless you disable hyper-V), with use as defined by Microsoft, other tablet manufacturers, or reviewer, that is beyond capacity and the laws governing chemistry, thermodynamics, physics, etc,, really are immutable. Of course if you mean you use it occasionally during the day then of course it will last twelve hours but that is documenting use history not battery life.

Lol...ok man! Let me ask first why your tone is that of a smug db?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If you want to disable connected standby, and get back all power profiles, the following walks you through turning on hyper-V: Tag » Surface Pro 3 power options « @ Photos Of Arkansas. Turning on hyper-V disables the one and turns on the others. Just ignore the minor tantrums in the post from the author....
I actually already knew how to kill it... and I'd rather not have Hyper-V on. Instead there is one regkey called CsEnabled that can be changed from 1 to 0 and Connected Standby goes bye-bye.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte