Gonna Buy SP3 But Can't Decide on 128GB vs. 256

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to pull the trigger on a new Surface Pro 3, but can't decide on the 5i w/ 128 GB and 4 GB RAM vs. the 256 w/ 8GB RAM. I'm not too concerned about the storage because I can use the SD card, but what about the extra RAM, is it really necessary?

It's going to be used mostly for class notes. Will be used live in class but also watching lectures on videos and taking notes simultaneously. I can get a 10% Microsoft discount on the 256 which might tip the scale, but, even so, I don't want to waste money.

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought my SP3 i5 128GB Monday & I'm loving it tremendously. If you have the extra cash then go for the 8MB / 256GB as more resources are better.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was in your same boat. I decided on the 4GB 128GB version since I didn't want to spend the extra $200. I am also a student. Here is what I've been able to do without any hiccups.

- 3D CAD (Solidworks) - multiple assemblies open, 50+ parts
- Web browsing + OneNote notetaking + word (2 simultaneously)
- Dual monitor setup
- running PowerPoint on external, notes on the surface screen
- hooked up to TV watching Netflix and playing games on the surface
- lots more non-multitasking stuff

I haven't had any issues and I've never had the low system memory alert, even with solidworks. My device doesn't seem to get too hot either. The hottest it gets happens while playing any of the Microsoft developed games, like tapatiles or minesweeper which is really odd.

Overall, I am very happy with the surface pro 3. Glad I upgraded from the pro 2. The extra screen real estate is awesome and the kickstand is amazing.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My ThinkPad is pretty old and I equipped it with 4 GB of RAM.
I do some light-medium gaming on it (Starcraft II, Halo, Deus Ex - nothing insane or particularly new like Skyrim) 4 GB is sufficient for my normal usage, which typically includes Outlook and OneNote open, often one other Office program open, 10+ tabs in Firefox, a few Explorer windows as well as some small background stuff like OneDrive, Copy, Skype, Google Talk (no Chrome here), Avast...

However I found my 120 GB drive to be too small for my liking. But the speed!

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're planning on keeping the SP3 for a while the extra money upfront now could save you some heart ache later. I was set on the i5 128 but when I was at BB the nagging feeling that the extra 8GB and more storage might come in handy later. Either way, you're going to love the SP3. I haven't touched my MacBook Pro in almost a month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon