I just got a Surface Pro 3 using Microsoft Complete. My SP1 was rebooting consistently. I can't believe they gave me a SP3 for free...I ended up getting Microsoft complete for this device even thou I had 6 months left on my SP1 coverage. Basically I got this for $250 with the keyboard.

A few things I like a lot.

1. The screen is so much bigger, better, brighter :)
    2. I love I can "snap" more than two apps on the screen. I believe the limit is 4.
    3. How thin it is.
    4. The touch pad is so much better on the type cover 3

A few things I miss from my Surface Pro1.

1. Power cover doesn't work, I can type on it, but the 2nd battery icon doesn't show up.
    2. I like the pen better on the SP1 than on the SP3. I like how I can click the top to open up OneNote, but I prefer the Desktop version of one more than the Metro version. Wish there was a way to make that happen. I also miss using the eraser on the SP1 Pen. I have to click a button on the SP3.
    3. Another pen issue: where can I connect the pen!!! :(
    4. I notice the fan can be quite loud verses the SP1.

Another item not related is I have a hard time try to push the task bar when my keyboard is in the upper position. It sits flat with the bottom of the screen.

Did I mention how much the screen is awesome!!! :)

Before my SP1 started to have issues I was considering getting a bigger laptop. This fixes the issues.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    xboxonthego3 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-01-2014 04:25 PM
    That is cool you got a nice upgrade. Yea the heat problem with the Pro 3 is inevitable. It already surprised how much power they put into the small form factor of the Surface Pro 1 and 2. The Pro 3 is just shocking. But I think it showed that Microsoft has reached the limits. It's time to wait for Intel next gen CPU (aka: Broadwell), which is expected to be more power efficient, and allow the system to operate cooler, with less throttling.

The pen is good because it is thick and solid. Try writhing with Lenovo thin pens or the 3DS or DS (yes I know different technology on that one, but i mean the simple fact of holding the pen), It's not comfortable. I have read many people with Lenovo devices with a silo to hold the pen, just buys an alternative pen, as you can write comfortably. It's better to hold the pen in your pocket or in your Surface Pro sleeve or something, then to have one that fits. If you use the pen, then this is a worthy compromise. If you don't use the pen at all, and you are scared of loosing it, either leave it in the box, or get an ultrabook instead. The point of the device is the pen.

How did you get the SP3? Did you go to a Microsoft Store, or did you call, and had it ship to them?
    08-01-2014 07:17 PM
    2 nights ago, my sp1 rebooted 3 times in a row. I took my SP1 in yesterday and they ran some test, they said there was some malware on it but I didn't believe him. He said it was the ask toolbar. (That isn't malware). He ran some test, did a virus scan and told me if I have any more issues to come back in. He sent me on my way. Last night my SP1 reset again while using the windows 8 twitter app. I then took it into the MS store and it reset in front of them, this time It was just on the start screen. Then then gave me a SP3 for free. I then got the bundle since my warranty (MS complete) expires in February. I basically upgraded for $250 plus tax (included a sleeve, complete and keyboard)
    08-01-2014 07:27 PM
    The power cover now works with a windows update
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2014 07:28 PM
    I've got an SP2 and love it. I'll pry have to wait till the SP4 comes out before I get to upgrade :)
    rdubmu likes this.
    08-01-2014 08:06 PM
    2 nights ago, my sp1 rebooted 3 times in a row. I took my SP1 in yesterday and they ran some test, they said there was some malware on it but I didn't believe him. He said it was the ask toolbar. (That isn't malware). He ran some test, did a virus scan and told me if I have any more issues to come back in. He sent me on my way. Last night my SP1 reset again while using the windows 8 twitter app. I then took it into the MS store and it reset in front of them, this time It was just on the start screen. Then then gave me a SP3 for free. I then got the bundle since my warranty (MS complete) expires in February. I basically upgraded for $250 plus tax (included a sleeve, complete and keyboard)
    Leaving aside the upgrade, the Ask Toolbar absolutely can be a source of malware. Quite a few people also consider it to be malware, like some other such "toolbar" add ins. Look it up - they were correct to flag it regardless of whether there were other issues.
    rdubmu likes this.
    08-01-2014 11:24 PM
    Nice involuntary upgrade! I love my Surface Pro so I don't feel the need to upgrade just yet, but I would do it for $250 in a heartbeat.
    rdubmu likes this.
    08-01-2014 11:32 PM
    IT was kind of funny when he told me he no longer had SP1 in stock. He then told me
    he would get me a SP3. Then he asked me if the SP3 was too large...I said no, it will be fine... lol

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rdubmu; 08-04-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    BobLobIaw and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-03-2014 10:16 PM
    I nominate this thread for "Best Thread Title 2014"
    rdubmu likes this.
    08-04-2014 11:34 AM