Screen Protector on SP3?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Never used one and never will. It amounts to supporting a useless industry contributing pollutants to the environment to solve a problem that does not exist. As far as greasy fingers smearing the screen:

1) Anyone ever hear of those things called napkins? They have been around for awhile and work wonders when it comes to pizza and other food.
2) If one chooses to not use such things, you are still smearing your screen, just via a PET, urethane, or polymer film.
3) Glass is easier to clean and not subject to chemical destabilization/breakdown.

It is also worth pointing out that any (meaning every) screen protector creates resistance for which the active stylus was not designed. As such, it is reducing the use life of the nib at the very least and requiring the user to exert more pressure on both the screen and pen body. Sorry but this is one where people are buying into marketing claims. There are some lines of work where protectors are merited but for the vast majority of users, you are simply spending money on a value-less add on.

At first when I read this days ago I was in complete disagreement. After trying two screen protectors (the second being Mr. Screen Protector) I think I'm with you. Any screen protector... any will affect the writing with the pen and what's the point of using this awesome device if you can't use the damn pen?! I've been without screen protector for weeks and just clean with iKlear spray and cloth regularly.

The only other thing to try is the new Zagg glass. I've tried the regular Zagg as already noted and it's garbage but not the "glass" version. It's expensive as hell but may be the way to go if I can stomach the cost. Has anybody tried the new Zagg Glass yet?

MicrosoftFan

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if Zagg InvisibleShield makes one for SP3 BUT you can go to your local invisibleShield shop (they're usually founds in malls Shopping Centers) and have them custom make one for your SP3. I had it done with my L2520 since there is no pre made shield.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
At first when I read this days ago I was in complete disagreement. After trying two screen protectors (the second being Mr. Screen Protector) I think I'm with you. Any screen protector... any will affect the writing with the pen and what's the point of using this awesome device if you can't use the damn pen?! I've been without screen protector for weeks and just clean with iKlear spray and cloth regularly.

The only other thing to try is the new Zagg glass. I've tried the regular Zagg as already noted and it's garbage but not the "glass" version. It's expensive as hell but may be the way to go if I can stomach the cost. Has anybody tried the new Zagg Glass yet?

I now use Phantom Glass. Where it uses a Gorilla Glass on my Surface Pro 2, and it's truly fantastic. You have the same exact feel as the glass of the Surface Pro line, as it is the same thing. I have done a written review about it, as I was genuinely impressed. No color shifting, looks like it's part of the system. Was Linus right? Phantom Glass Mini-Review - Member Reviews - Linus Tech Tips

wookiee2cu

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site

I have the Zagg Glass and it is nice, the only problem I noticed (and not really a problem for me) is that there seems to be a slight friction when writing with the pen in One Note or something similar. It is pretty smooth but like I said there is a slight friction; I don't use One Note or draw so it's really not an issue for me but if you do it's something to consider. Previously I had the Incipio Plex Shield, this was nice as well and was more of a film which made it a little easier to install but if you bend it too much it will crack. The main problem I had was the Incipio is cut to the exact dimensions of the screen so if one of the bezels is off even the slightest amount you will have an area (usually in a corner) where it will not lay down flat and have an air bubble of sorts. The surface of the Incipio was very smooth like the actual SP3 screen and no friction when writing with the pen, if they were to trim it down say 1mm on all sides to allow for small variances then it would be perfect. With both the Zagg and Incipio I noticed pen sensitivity was just fine but the touch sensitivity seemed slightly reduced. Not to the point where you have to punch the screen for it to register but you just have to press slightly firmer compared to no screen protector. I prefer a solid protector to film especially since I have seen a few threads regarding the screen cracking around the hole drilled for the camera. Folks mentioned they would grab the SP3 in this area and the consensus was since the hole was drilled in the screen it may have created a vulnerable spot, with a solid protector it will distribute any pressure put on that area... hopefully. I do have the Microsoft Complete coverage but I'd be more than happy with not having to cash in on it.

berfles

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
The Spigen Ultra Crystal is leagues better than the InvisibleShield I just ripped off. It's a harder material and not some sort of rubbery garbage, it goes on without any lasting bubbles, and the little stickers they give you to get dust out from under work great. It's all lined up and very minimal, not obtrusive dust. I'm sticking with them for every one of my electronics, that's two great experiences in a row.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos