Windows Update freezing!

Macrohard

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

Okay sorry to make this really messy and without detail, I'm writing it on my SP3 and I really don't want IE to shut down and not save all my information as it just did. Well, when I first bought my surface last Sunday everything was fine, Windows Update worked perfectly but I was still missing to download/install some updates. I then tried to do this on Monday and every time I would open it windows update froze and became unresponsive and the only way to stop it was to open up task manager and manually end it there, Surface got really hot and the fan would go off like crazy. So finally I ran the troubleshooting helper for windows update and it wasn't until like the fourth try that I was able to get some results. It said it couldn't fix anything and gave me two error codes, I've forgotten them, and so I looked each one up and I couldn't find a real fix for one of them but for the other I did, it was in MS's support website I believe, anyway they said to open up command prompt and enter some stuff that was on their website, and it worked. My surface could update again and I finished all the updates, everything seemed great.... until today. I tried to open up Windows Update again just to see if everything was back to normal, and far from it... it froze again just as it had before, well it keeps freeze and made all of my other programs crash, made my surface really hot and turned on the fan at like the highest speed (I'm not even in a hot environment), I literally only had one other app running in the background, IE, and one tab open, the one I was writing this post on, it was laggy as hell and just a nightmare to deal with, it just closed everything down.

Sorry for the page-long essay and the crimes against grammar I've committed, I was typing this very quickly. Has this happened to anyone else who owns a SP3? Should I exchange it for a new one or is this something I can fix? Well, regardless, thanks for even reading this till the end (if you did) and sorry if there is a post on this or something already. I'm just really done with all of this and really frustrated, any help is very appreciated, thanks!
I have a Surface Pro 3 128GB/4GB/Core i5, if that helps.

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I was having issues with mine overheating as the firmware which came installed was from before may... As soon as I was able to update it fixed the problem.... Try refreshing the surface back to factory settings and running the updates... If that doesn't work then a return is neccesary

Macrohard

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys! I've already tried refreshing the surface back to regular settings but again, doesn't help. I am just going to exchange it tomorrow.

mig1776

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issues, and just for the heck of it tried the following: hold down power+volume down key until surface turns off, wait a few seconds and restart your surface. Run update and it should work. Hope this helps.

Macrohard

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issues, and just for the heck of it tried the following: hold down power+volume down key until surface turns off, wait a few seconds and restart your surface. Run update and it should work. Hope this helps.

Wow, that worked perfectly, thank you so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers