SP3 Type Cover not being recognized

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having issues with my type cover being recognized in device manager/working. It'll light up when connected but none of the keys will work. So far if I just remove and reattach it a few times it'll eventually recognize it and it'l be usable but this is extremely annoying.

I've tried with two separate type covers (actually RMA'd one because I thought it was defective) and had the same results.

I'm a step away from going the safe route and RMA'ing the Surface but I'd like to avoid that if it's possibly a software/firmware issue that can be resolved.

Is anyone else having issues with their Type Covers?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.. I have had a few issues. But not to the point to where it was annoying in my opinion. I would check the bottom of the surface where the keyboard connects to see if there are any visible issues with the connector. Maybe something is blocking it. From what it sounds like it doesn't appear to be your type cover since you have tried two different covers. Could you tell me more about when you noticed the keyboard not working? Did the surface just boot up? did it come back from connected standby? was it just the keyboard not working or was the whole device failing to function? On a few occasions specifically after my device went into connected standby was turned on again my Surface would either fail to respond to any input or would be extremely slow to respond. I wonder if this was a similar scenario.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. I have had a few issues. But not to the point to where it was annoying in my opinion. I would check the bottom of the surface where the keyboard connects to see if there are any visible issues with the connector. Maybe something is blocking it. From what it sounds like it doesn't appear to be your type cover since you have tried two different covers. Could you tell me more about when you noticed the keyboard not working? Did the surface just boot up? did it come back from connected standby? was it just the keyboard not working or was the whole device failing to function? On a few occasions specifically after my device went into connected standby was turned on again my Surface would either fail to respond to any input or would be extremely slow to respond. I wonder if this was a similar scenario.
The issue started right out of the box. I got my sp3 about a week ago with the type cover, connected it and it wasn't responding. It would light up but device manager was showing an error stating there was no driver installed for this device, and it was listed under "other dvices". I tried reseating several times with no luck. I RMA'd the Type Cover and bought a new one.

Same issues with the second. It eventually worked after reseating it a few times but it's nagging, intermittent issue. Sometimes it'll work fine when I bootup, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it stops working after sleeping for a while. I really do hope it's just a firmware issue they'll address.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I had some issues with my powercover on my SP1, but not with the Type Cover for the Surface Pro 3. Works great!!

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The issue started right out of the box. I got my sp3 about a week ago with the type cover, connected it and it wasn't responding. It would light up but device manager was showing an error stating there was no driver installed for this device, and it was listed under "other dvices". I tried reseating several times with no luck. I RMA'd the Type Cover and bought a new one.

Same issues with the second. It eventually worked after reseating it a few times but it's nagging, intermittent issue. Sometimes it'll work fine when I bootup, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it stops working after sleeping for a while. I really do hope it's just a firmware issue they'll address.

I had similar issues. At first I thought it was the type cover but it actually was the Surface. Or rather, an issue with doing updates without the Surface connected. Backup your data, then perform a full factory recovery with the Type Cover connected. Use the Type Cover to do the initial setup of your Surface and leave it connected during all updates. Once all of the updates completed with the type cover attached. I didn't have anymore issues.

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
There is a Type Cover firmware update out this morning. Check Windows update for a hardware driver update. oem57.inf is the TC firmware update. The other .inf files are an update to the Realtec USB card reader.

oeminf20140812.JPG

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue, did you ever find a resolution?

Thanks in advance, Tim

Nope and a colleague of mine bought one about a week ago and is having the same issue. So it's definitely not just my hardware or the fact that I bought from the first batch and the issue may have been corrected later on. He just got his from the newest batch and is having the same problem. In fact, I habn't even mentioned the issue to him. He came over to me and asked if I'd had any problems connecting my Type Cover.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
There is a Type Cover firmware update out this morning. Check Windows update for a hardware driver update. oem57.inf is the TC firmware update. The other .inf files are an update to the Realtec USB card reader.

View attachment 76352

I went to the same folder but didn't see that inf file with a date of Dec 8... Mine shows August 20, seems old? Checked Windows Update nothing there.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I was having this issue and tried everything I could think of. It updated itself last Tuesday and the issue vanished. I'm glad, but left miffed that a previous updated fully broke my Type Cover!

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the oem57 file but it has a timestamp of 4/13. Sill having this issue as of 12/24. unplugging and reattaching as many times as it takes is still the only way to get it to work.

It doesn't appear MS is going to resolve this via firmware so I'm just going to check my geek squad warranty to see if I can swap it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs