Surface Pro 3 i7 fan goes crazy on small games

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Obviously, the fan goes off when playing Hearthstone and Project Spark (Hearthstone is actually broken on SP3 - don't install!). But what's really weird is that even when playing small games like Microsoft Sudoku and Solitaire, the fan after a while starts getting loud. I would imagine this is a firmware/drive issue, right? I would hate to return the device for something like this.

racedout

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a SP3 with an i5 and only 4gb of memory, and Hearthstone works fine. Especially after Blizzard's win8 touch update last week. Far from broken, and if you lower the screen resolution from 1440p to 1080p it barely even gets hot. On 1440p it got hot, but still ran just fine.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a SP3 with an i5 and only 4gb of memory, and Hearthstone works fine. Especially after Blizzard's win8 touch update last week. Far from broken, and if you lower the screen resolution from 1440p to 1080p it barely even gets hot. On 1440p it got hot, but still ran just fine.

What I mean by broken is, when you use quit the game, Windows stops responding. I even get the not responding message box pop up stating that "Microsoft Windows is not responding." The whole system freezes, causing me to hold down the power button to the off. Every time I play.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
What I mean by broken is, when you use quit the game, Windows stops responding. I even get the not responding message box pop up stating that "Microsoft Windows is not responding." The whole system freezes, causing me to hold down the power button to the off. Every time I play.

This is true, i have the i5 and there is a quit game bug where when you quit the game buying clicking the cog and choosing quit, it will lock up the os which will eventually get a windows explorer error taking away the taskbar. Only a hard reset will make it better.

The one way to get around the error is to play in windows mode and x out instead of quitting, the OS will not lock up, but your surface may have issues turning off. Everytime i shut down, the next time i turn on the next day, i still get the shutdown screen. So what i do now is x out of hearthstone and then restart my surface and then shut down. THe battle.net forums are filled with this complaint since the patch and still haven't fixed it. Didn't have this issue prior to the patch.

​Otherwise, the game works fine as you play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb