New Keyboard - Only cursor working?

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I ordered a new keyboard to replace my blue one that is malfunctioning but I could not wait to replace.

When I connected the new black keyboard to my SP3, the cursor moves around and works fine. But it will not type. The keys themselves are not registering at all.

Any thoughts on this?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess there aint much to think about this. Warranty will/would've covered both covers if they were malfunctioning.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
That wasn't what I asked. I understand there's a warranty issue and expect to get it replaced. I am traveling and need it NOW. So, let's go back to my question.

Based on what I posted, does anyone know why upon connecting a new keyboard, the trackpad is working fine but there's no response when typing text?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
First of all is the surface a touch screen? I do t have one so I wouldn't know. If it is I recommend going on to the net and download the keyboard drivers as it will update it to get it working. Obviously it will be on the website. Also check on settings to make sure if the keyboard is on (if that exists) sorry if I can't help that much but want to do all I can. But without owning one I don't know what else to suggest

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
What happens if you delete the KB from Device Manager and let it reload the drivers? Of course if it's a hardware issue (say the connector on the tablet is partially damaged so only the trackpad works) then obviously a new KB will be of no help.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Did you restart the SP3 with the new keyboard attached and is you device updated, and I agree about some off the wall comments lately.

Yes I did...So I uninstalled the Keyboard Driver and actually did not reinstall it. And the new keyboard was working just fine. Now, today, I am getting the same issue all over again. Went 4 days with no issues and the cursor is just flying all over the screen out of control. Most of the time it just goes into the upper left hand corner of the screen.

I noticed that it doesn't do this when I am in Metro Mode..Only Desktop Mode.

Frustrating as hell. I am going to return the newer keyboard that I received as I know now it's not an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers